What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another NQ player suicide. RIP Fotu Winterstein

Charlie124

First Grade
RUGBY league is set to be rocked by the sudden death of another promising young player in North Queensland.

Fotu “Francis” Winterstein, brother of Cowboys winger Antonio, died this week aged just 19.

The youngster was a promising player with the Townsville Stingers club and his death has shocked the local community.

Dick Walsh who mentored the young man during his time playing for the Townsville Centrals has expressed his deep sympathies, describing the 19-year-old as talented footballer and a great young man.

“He was such a talented young man,” Walsh told the Townsville Bulletin.

“It’s obviously rocked our club. A few of the boys grew up together with him.

“We need to be strong for each other, and mates need to look after mates.”

It comes just months after two other young players in North Queensland took their own lives.

The Cowboys are offering Antonio Winterstein support.

He has been named to play against the Knights this weekend but is expected to pull out as a result of the tragedy

The Rosco

Bench
What a tragedy.
Such a shame a young man felt his only course of action was to take his own life.
R I P Fotu.

forward pass

Coach
Very sad yet again.

Is there a particular reason why these articles never mention the word suicide? It always just states that they 'died'. I am not trying to be smart but just wondered the reason. Is it because it is unconfirmed?

dragondad

First Grade
Very sad yet again.

Is there a particular reason why these articles never mention the word suicide? It always just states that they 'died'. I am not trying to be smart but just wondered the reason. Is it because it is unconfirmed?

As per Australian media laws, you aren't allowed to report suicide.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Just heartbreaking, only a kid and one with the world at his feet by the sounds of it.
RIP mate.

Latest posts