What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
I can't remember a year where there hasn't been an amazing comeback by us. A few that stick out

2000 v WT at home. Scored 24 in 20 mins

v Parra in 2011. We were down by 6 as the siren went. Won in extra time

2010. We came back to beat Knights.

Again in 2011 I think. Crazy comeback to beat Sharks at Sharkpark

Nathan's 1st win in FG. Comeback win at Brookie.

V Warriors last year. Remember being booed off and coming back to win.

Would you rather the team just drop their head when they fall behind or play for the full 80?

Sure there has been a heap more the last few years. In that time you can count on one hand the amount of times we have had a full strength team or weren't the youngest in the comp.

Aside from maybe Bellamy. No coach would of beaten Canberra in 2016 with Hardaker/Peachey centre pairing. Same too v Broncs in 2017. No Blake, Moylan. May did his ACL mid game. Busted Edwards and Wallace.

That is not too say we win the Comp if things go all our way but there is a lot that a coach can't control
I meant Panther Danz said we were training without a ref/former ref. Thus stuff like getting back 10, quick line speed, ruck control, etc at training without a ref resulted in us being the most penalized team in the comp.

Look at how South Sydney's attack received so much praise throughout the season for their great attacking structure. They were able to do that because of all the passing drills they did during the pre season. The coach said he put a big emphasis on passing in training. It made their general passing more accurate and swifter compared to previous years so players were running onto the ball instead of slowing down to catch it looked faster and more fluid compared to other teams.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
I think there are more than two coaches who could’ve done better than hook last season. The guy refused to work with the refs ffs, he took the team on a holiday to the Gold Coast for a week before a 50 point flogging.

Didn't we work with the refs the week we got bent over in Melbourne?

There's no way of knowing for sure but there was many issues. Including the full strength spine not even playing 3 games together that led to the year we had.

It is idiotic to say a new coach with the same stuff instantly improves the team alone. Aside from the cows in 2017 the last 4 standing are usually the closest to full strength

Mid season we were 1st. Origin period killed us with injuries especially. The depth players going down, Wallace retiring were just as bad as the injuries Maloney picked up

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
I mean Panther Danz said we were training without a ref/former ref. Thus stuff like getting back 10, quick line speed, ruck control, etc at training without a ref resulted in us being the most penalized team in the comp.

Look at how South Sydney's attack received so much praise throughout the season for their great attacking structure. They were able to do that because of all the passing drills they did during the pre season. The coach said he put a big emphasis on passing in training. It made their general passing more accurate and swifter compared to previous years so players were running onto the ball instead of slowing down to catch it so plays looked fast and fluid.

Souths had a dream run with injuries and getting teams at the right time etc. Also are stacked with premiership winners.

So it will be interesting to see how Seibold goes at Broncs given that won't be the case up there

Fangs

Coach
Gotta put the boot in one last time before 2019 starts!

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/i...n/news-story/5fb0a37c9f0b9a79510aff863ff6376e

“Each coach has their own way of how they want to coach ... The pre-seasons that we’ve had under Hook (Griffin), probably just the running aspect was s**t,” prop Reagan Campbell-Gillard told AAP.

“Over the past few years we’ve had a Monday and a Friday with fitness and no ball. You front up to maybe 7km of just running and that’s your session done before you come over and do weights.

“Now you’re actually doing fitness with a ball in hand. I’ve always been a believer of it and having previously been coached by Ivan that’s what I’m used to.”

Panther Pete

Juniors
Gotta put the boot in one last time before 2019 starts!

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/i...n/news-story/5fb0a37c9f0b9a79510aff863ff6376e

“Each coach has their own way of how they want to coach ... The pre-seasons that we’ve had under Hook (Griffin), probably just the running aspect was s**t,” prop Reagan Campbell-Gillard told AAP.

“Over the past few years we’ve had a Monday and a Friday with fitness and no ball. You front up to maybe 7km of just running and that’s your session done before you come over and do weights.

“Now you’re actually doing fitness with a ball in hand. I’ve always been a believer of it and having previously been coached by Ivan that’s what I’m used to.”
I was never a fan of Hook as a lot of times it looked like we played with no game plan and basically looked like a rabble. One thing though is all that running he made the players do certainly got them fit. Hopefully we won’t give away 14 point leads this year so won’t need the miracle come backs, time will tell if Ivan has sorted that aspect.

franklin2323

Immortal
We were 1st after 12 rounds last year. I get why the players hate it. I'd probably still play footy if not for Pre season training BUT if the results don't back this new approach then you have to go back to what worked

Fangs

Coach
I was never a fan of Hook as a lot of times it looked like we played with no game plan and basically looked like a rabble. One thing though is all that running he made the players do certainly got them fit. Hopefully we won’t give away 14 point leads this year so won’t need the miracle come backs, time will tell if Ivan has sorted that aspect.

Fit yes. Though wasn't so good on injury management (e.g. backing up after Origin, played Maloney busted etc). Played its part at the back end of the season.

franklin2323

Immortal
Fit yes. Though wasn't so good on injury management (e.g. backing up after Origin, played Maloney busted etc). Played its part at the back end of the season.

Yep no surprise that the whole new off field staff. Be Interesting to see if they over rule players wanting to back up and stuff

franklin2323

Immortal
In this day and age its surely a no brainer. Origin is extremely demanding.

How many didn't back up though? Most seem to back up and Freddy said something along the lines of go backup for your clubs. It is really can stuff teams up big time you need everyone else fit at the time. That was our main issue depth guys not being fit

on the Brightside Realistically only Cleary should play this year

Fangs

Coach
67 pages and counting! May this thread never end.

How many didn't back up though? Most seem to back up and Freddy said something along the lines of go backup for your clubs. It is really can stuff teams up big time you need everyone else fit at the time. That was our main issue depth guys not being fit

on the Brightside Realistically only Cleary should play this year

Its the most physically and mentally demanding match anyone can play in Rugby League. One that will eventually see it as a standalone event. I'll agree concessions should be made re picking outside the top 30 as a team with 5-10 injuries + bunch of Origin reps are left in an unenviable position.

Griffin agrees with Freddy too btw. Gus as we now know certainly did not agree (Podcast was the give away, 100% confirmed no player would back up after Origin 1).

franklin2323

Immortal
67 pages and counting! May this thread never end.

Its the most physically and mentally demanding match anyone can play in Rugby League. One that will eventually see it as a standalone event. I'll agree concessions should be made re picking outside the top 30 as a team with 5-10 injuries + bunch of Origin reps are left in an unenviable position.

Griffin agrees with Freddy too btw. Gus as we now know certainly did not agree (Podcast was the give away, 100% confirmed no player would back up after Origin 1).

The great man kept this place going over many off seasons...

I remember one game the Canberra one. I struggle to think of a 17 of fit guys IF we didn't play the Origin guys. So it can be hard to overrule the origin guys in that situation and tbh DWZ was our worst player on the night.

I think Ideally you'd run a 9's tournament or something mid season to still have some sort of footy while Origin is going. It could be the happy meduim for both parties

age.s

First Grade
RCG publicly calling some of Hooks methods shit feels pretty unprofessional. I mean, I agree with his sentiment, but I don't see the value in airing that kind of laundry in public.

franklin2323

Immortal
RCG publicly calling some of Hooks methods shit feels pretty unprofessional. I mean, I agree with his sentiment, but I don't see the value in airing that kind of laundry in public.

Gus did the same thing last year when he was fired so can't really blame a player from doing the same. It is a bad look I think to be focusing on an ex coach then the task ahead

age.s

First Grade
Gus did the same thing last year when he was fired so can't really blame a player from doing the same. It is a bad look I think to be focusing on an ex coach then the task ahead

You have to say something when you fire a NRL head coach though. No need when the guy hasn't been part of the setup for 6 odd months.

franklin2323

Immortal
You have to say something when you fire a NRL head coach though. No need when the guy hasn't been part of the setup for 6 odd months.

Of course the presser and that was a need. What wasn't was Gus going on the Footy show to pretty much throw insults at Hook...Especially been 4 weeks out from the finals. Would of been better focusing on getting the team better.

Same here RCG form has been very ordinary. Much better to put his head down and get on with it