What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah inexperience played its part, IMO it was more than just that though. Merrin, Tamou, Jimmy....none of the experienced guys could find it consistently under hook.

Maloney was busted. I don't how a coach can fix that. Merrin had only 1 hitup in semi final after Griffin went. Tamou was decent I thought last year.. On performance he was one of the better forwards.

There is always some sort of roster shakeup when a new coach comes in. If a few guys can't improve in the basics then this case will be no different

betcats

Referee
Maloney was busted. I don't how a coach can fix that. Merrin had only 1 hitup in semi final after Griffin went. Tamou was decent I thought last year.. On performance he was one of the better forwards.

There is always some sort of roster shakeup when a new coach comes in. If a few guys can't improve in the basics then this case will be no different

If Maloney was that busted he shouldn't of been out there, he lost games for us.

OldPanther

Coach
Cronk played a GF busted. Happens all the time

There isn't a game manager around who has half of Conk's skill. When he got sent off in origin in 2016 it was him giving instructions to supposed future immortals Smith and Slater. He changed clubs an won a grand final just by talking.

We have no one that comes close.

franklin2323

Immortal
There isn't a game manager around who has half of Conk's skill. When he got sent off in origin in 2016 it was him giving instructions to supposed future immortals Smith and Slater. He changed clubs an won a grand final just by talking.

We have no one that comes close.

We don't but we do we finish if we had no Maloney this year? It was a gamble and failed no doubt is part of the reason Griffin is gone. Would others of taken the same gamble? I think so

betcats

Referee
Cronk played a GF busted. Happens all the time

Bullshit.

Cronk wasn't playing like shit for one and they are completely different players for another.

Cronk is a general, his directing the team is invaluable. Maloney doesnt want to direct everything, he prefers 6 so he can sit back and inject himself. And it was GF, last game of the season, Maloney was out of form and apparently busted for half a season.

OldPanther

Coach
We don't but we do we finish if we had no Maloney this year? It was a gamble and failed no doubt is part of the reason Griffin is gone. Would others of taken the same gamble? I think so

The difference with your comparison to Maloney is Cronk is better at organising verbally(not a slight on Maloney at all) and only had to manage it for 1 and a half games. Maloney had his injury from around origin time. He was always going to succumb eventually just through weight of game time.

franklin2323

Immortal
The difference with your comparison to Maloney is Cronk is better at organising verbally(not a slight on Maloney at all) and only had to manage it for 1 and a half games. Maloney had his injury from around origin time. He was always going to succumb eventually just through weight of game time.

In hindsight yes but it is a results based business. Ivan took some gambles in 2015 and they didn't come off other years they do

franklin2323

Immortal
Bullshit.

Cronk wasn't playing like shit for one and they are completely different players for another.

Cronk is a general, his directing the team is invaluable. Maloney doesnt want to direct everything, he prefers 6 so he can sit back and inject himself. And it was GF, last game of the season, Maloney was out of form and apparently busted for half a season.

We won games when he was playing busted though. Maybe we don't if he is rested

betcats

Referee

When cleary got hurt last season Maloney actually did play as a true 7 and he did it quite well. Its just not his natural game, he prefers to pick and choose his moments and let someone else get us around the park to the right spots, once we are there Maloney inserts himself. Its why I don't think he should be captain, he isn't someone who wants to be in control of everything.

OldPanther

Coach
In hindsight yes but it is a results based business. Ivan took some gambles in 2015 and they didn't come off other years they do

I understand the risk/reward decision making. I do think not resting him was beyong that considering it was more than a game or two.

When cleary got hurt last season Maloney actually did play as a true 7 and he did it quite well. Its just not his natural game, he prefers to pick and choose his moments and let someone else get us around the park to the right spots, once we are there Maloney inserts himself. Its why I don't think he should be captain, he isn't someone who wants to be in control of everything.

I rate Maloney very highly. None of this is me talking him down. You're right even in interviews he seems to not want that kind of leadership.

franklin2323

Immortal
Maybe, I cant argue that. When it mattered though he came up extremely short, maybe he would've played well against the sharks if he had been rested.

Plenty of fit guys did too. The front row for me was shocking late in the season. Anyway it was a gamble and failed now we can see if Ivan learn't from his gambles last time