What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Milford - wants release says players agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
He won't sit out the year, if he can't play for the Broncos then he'll just go and play for the Reds for a year.

But if the Raiders try to stop him playing for the Broncos, I fully expect him to test the get out clause in the courts. I don't think it is as clear cut as either side think.

How can he play for the reds when he is currently signed to an exclusive rugby league contract you idiot. His choices at present are play for the raiders or play for no one.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Co-signed.

Ideally your club would have been good enough to keep him, it wasn't, let it go. This "if we can't have him, no one can" stuff is just pathetic and embarrassing. I didn't think my opinion of the raiders could go much lower but you're giving it a good old fashioned go aren't yas.

No, what's pathetic and embarrassing is the disregard players have for their contracts.

If it wasn't for Dugan and particularly Ferguson last season, then I'm 100% sure the Raiders would have let Milford go. But now we're in a position where we have to take the hardline or watch others walk whenever they want to.

I don't want him at Canberra anymore TBH.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Indeed

If Broncos fans want to blame anyone they can blame Dugan and Ferguson.

They aren't entitled to just take raiders contracted players and should stop acting like they are. I hold no issue at all with him going there in 2015 that's fine I hold huge issue with him going there in 2014.

Tone83

Juniors
Maybe worry about fixing your club so everyone doesn't want to leave all the time, rather than just surrounding it with a barbed wire fence, ffs.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
No choice but to make the merkin sit out a year now.

Shame but the way Milfords camp has played this out is disgusting.

Paullyboy

Coach
It's a real shame. I wanted to like Milford still, but he's just made himself out to be such a lying bastard.

He is so desperate to be with his old man that he's spent the last 2 months traveling the world?

What a jerk, he deserves nothing.

Enjoy Queensland cup

Last edited:

bluey

Bench
The NRL needs to get tougher on players like Fergo/ Millford if you will not honor your contract then don't register them for a year after their current contract expires.Some thing needs to be done its unfair to the clubs.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I can understand why the raiders want to play hard ball and keep him for 2014 but I hope it aren't Stuarts stubbornness that is refusing to release him.

He has apparently signed with the broncos for 2015 so even if the raiders manage to get him on the field for 2014 it aren't going to help build any combinations for the future.

The raiders are better off releasing him and going hard for Locke, offer him a contract he can't refuse. Really Milford is still a rookie, there is no guarantee he will even become a long term nrl player but Locke has proved he is.

No use keeping a player that clearly does not want to be there - yeah I know it is hard when a club puts so much effort into developing a player.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Why are we better off releasing him. We want to stop players walking all over the club not allow it to continue. We need to play hardball tbh and I'll be disappointed if we don't.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
He is a merkin.

Honestly, if it were my parents I could understand the need to be next to them if they were unwell, but his presently on holidays in Samoa and just spent the last 2 months in the UK.

Assuming his parents are in Samoa with him, that would indicate that they can easily see Milf if he stayed with the Raiders, its like an hour flight.

He has always wanted to go back to QLD, this parent excuse is just his way of using the contract to permit him to leave.

If we have any players that dislike Milf, they need to be in the squad when we play the broncos hahah

Kiwi

First Grade
there is no chance this lands in court. One of three outcomes will occur:

1. Milford will play for the raiders in 2014
2. Raiders and Broncos will work out compensation to release Milford for 2014
3. Milford will sit out for 2014

No one is taking this thing to a court of law
I agree. It'll obviously be one of the last two options I feel though.

Despite my desire to see Milford in broncos colors next year there is no way I would blame the Raiders for making him sit out a year which I think is the most likely senario TBH.

Kiwi

First Grade
he'll be getting much much more at the Broncos... not necessarily from the Broncos either.
Yep the chance to earn money from third party deals is big in brisbane. It certainly is something teams like the Raiders strggle with and I do think they need help in this regard. What help though would be fair though.

bfoord

Juniors
Question for Raiders fans.

Why is it OK for the Raiders to sign players who have been sacked or players who execute get out clauses... but when they sack players or their players wish to execute get out clauses the NRL should step in to stop it... what makes them so special.

Examples:

Neville Costigan sacked by Broncos, signs only a few weeks later for the Raiders.

Blake Ferguson executes a get out clause at Sharks, signs with Raiders.

Ricky Stuart, executes get out clause at Eels signs with Raiders.

Josh Dugan and Todd Carney sacked by Raiders, Raiders demand they not be allowed to play for anyone.

Blake Ferguson wishes to execute a get out clause (sacked), Raiders don't want him playing for anyone.

Anthony Milford wants to execute a get out clause, Raiders refuse (this case appears anything but clear cut for either party)

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Well two of those players literally walked out of their contracts. No raiders fan would mind if Ferguson had seen out the year and then activated his clause but he didn't. He was actually sacked before he was on that contract for walking out the club.

Maybe learn what you are talking about

Kiwi

First Grade
Question for Raiders fans.

Why is it OK for the Raiders to sign players who have been sacked or players who execute get out clauses... but when they sack players or their players wish to execute get out clauses the NRL should step in to stop it... what makes them so special.

Examples:

Neville Costigan sacked by Broncos, signs only a few weeks later for the Raiders.

Blake Ferguson executes a get out clause at Sharks, signs with Raiders.

Ricky Stuart, executes get out clause at Eels signs with Raiders.

Josh Dugan and Todd Carney sacked by Raiders, Raiders demand they not be allowed to play for anyone.

Blake Ferguson wishes to execute a get out clause (sacked), Raiders don't want him playing for anyone.

Anthony Milford wants to execute a get out clause, Raiders refuse (this case appears anything but clear cut for either party)
You could say that abouf every team. Broncos want Milford to get a release from his contract, get Barba cheap and early and wont release Hoffman.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Why are we better off releasing him. We want to stop players walking all over the club not allow it to continue. We need to play hardball tbh and I'll be disappointed if we don't.

If he hadn't signed with the broncos for 2015, I would agree but as it is clear he wants out, what benefit is keeping going to do?

Dugan/ferguson/carney were clearly idiots and would have been at any club, what other player has asked for a release from the raiders ?

In my opinion I would prefer players that want to play for the club.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Yep the chance to earn money from third party deals is big in brisbane. It certainly is something teams like the Raiders strggle with and I do think they need help in this regard. What help though would be fair though.

thats the trouble
any help in this area will disadvantage clubs with more pull than us, so wont happen

Status
Not open for further replies.