What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Milford - wants release says players agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Snrub

Juniors
I think the Raiders should just cut their loses and focus on finding a marquee player. If the newspapers are correct and Milford never signed up for another year, what's the point in dragging this out any longer? Surely we have heaps and heaps of money to get maybe two marquee signings.

BunniesMan

Immortal
How does it move the disadvantage around.

Clubs like the roosters will have to go out and identify kids from elsewhere (which they do already) and develop them into first graders (which they already do). What it will do is encourage/allow some players who might be moved on previously, the chance to hang around a club for a bit longer and create some more one club players that is sadly lacking these days. Everyone whinges that there aren't enough of these players around these days FFS......

The NRL wants player movement. Good clubs keeping every player they want would mean more top 8 teams staying in the 8 and less non top 8 teams moving up.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
His money is going to be dead either way because it's not like we could spend it. No players available now.

The club can certainly plan around him leaving for 2015 but 2014 his money either way is going untouched. So he can sit out the year.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The NRL wants player movement. Good clubs keeping every player they want would mean more top 8 teams staying in the 8 and less non top 8 teams moving up.

The nrl doesn't want clubs going broke. Slight difference. Clubs like the Broncos who have quite obscene advantages based entirely on circumstance (a single club in the second largest rugby league city in Australia hmmm ok) rather than any real "skill" in running the club.

So let's just keep players that want to leave? Our team chemistry sucks. I want to see players that want to play stay with us.

im sick and tired of these kids coming in and potentially taking positions away from others only to sook and want out shortly after.

Do you believe if milf stays he will put in 100% effort? I dont.

Maybe they should kidnap him and make him play at gunpoint?

His money is going to be dead either way because it's not like we could spend it. No players available now.

The club can certainly plan around him leaving for 2015 but 2014 his money either way is going untouched. So he can sit out the year.

Most clubs would look at cutting there looses and front ending some contracts.

Raiders should do that and go after Cam Smith or another such star in 2015 with the money they free up.

Oh sorry I couldn't keep a straight face :cool: :lol: :crazy:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I was wrong to compare you to skeepe. He's a much better troll. Sorry mate. You are more a poor man's gypsy.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Walt Flanigan said:
Neville Costigan sacked by Broncos, signs only a few weeks later for the Raiders. He was sacked, he's fair game unless the NRL de-registers him

Josh Dugan and Todd Carney sacked by Raiders, Raiders demand they not be allowed to play for anyone. Fair enough too. Developed these two from a very young age and what lesson do they learn if they are picked up by another club straight away. Should be the case for every sacked player.......not just us.

You do realise you've just completely contradicted yourself here right?

Walt Flanigan

Referee
You do realise you've just completely contradicted yourself here right?

Care to explain how?

I said that a sacked player is fair game unless the NRL de-registers him.

Then I make the point that the NRL should be de-registering these sort of players. I don't blame other clubs for making a move on guys like Dugan and Ferguson.......I blame the NRL.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Care to explain how?

I said that a sacked player is fair game unless the NRL de-registers him.

Then I make the point that the NRL should be de-registering these sort of players. I don't blame other clubs for making a move on guys like Dugan and Ferguson.......I blame the NRL.

You only mentioned de-registration (or lack thereof) with Costigan - you called fair game for the Raiders to jump on him.

Your next statement only asserted that the Raiders were right to demand that any player they sack is not picked up by another club.

Surely you can see the double standards at play...

You show support for the Raiders picking up a player sacked by another club, while also supporting the Raiders not wanting any player they sack being picked up by another club.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Chris Wilson ‏@cwilsonct
Agent Sam ayoub told me Wednesday he wants @tony_milford to win Mal Meninga medal @RaidersCanberra again in 14. Tough ask from Brisbane #nrl

Sounds like Milford needs to talk to his manager a bit more.

The Raiders are well within their rights to make Milford sit out the season if he doesn't show up for training (No point arguing about a get our clause that I know nothing about). But at the same time, if he does show, I believe the NRL should step in if the Raiders f**k Milford over by storing him in the Reggie's with no intention of playing him. It's not fair on the player, just like its unfair on the club if the player stops training.

How the NRL could do anything is questionable (the Raiders would simply say it's their job to select the side they want on the paddock), but stifling a players talent just because he doesn't want to play the following season is just petty. Clubs need to realise that it's a professional game and players will change clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.