What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Milford - wants release says players agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yeah like the Broncos and Hodges. We can play him where it's best to play him (if he's still playing for the raiders next year)

Raider_69

Post Whore
if the reggies treatment was deemed good enough for Justin Hodges and Wayne Bennett, it's good enough for Milford and Stuart

i don't think Soward ever played for Canberra at any level yeah?

Soward played for the Raiders at Jersey Flegg level (as it was then). Matthew Elliott, who was First Grade coach at the time told him he'd never make it and let him go. He siged with the Roosters for the following season and helped the Roosters Jersey Flegg side, under Shane Flanagan's coaching, to go undeated in 2004.

Yeah like the Broncos and Hodges. We can play him where it's best to play him (if he's still playing for the raiders next year)

A lot has changed about the game in the 12-13 years since that happened.

Ok, forget the current hoopla around the Milford situation and assume that he simply signed for Brisbane for 2015-16, without the get out clause bullshit and the threat to sit out the season. If Milford said he only wanted to play reserve grade with his mates in 2014 and refused to play first grade, there would be an uproar by the Canberra fans. But because the shoe is on the other foot, if he gets mothballed, its ok? A contract is between two parties remember.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
You only mentioned de-registration (or lack thereof) with Costigan - you called fair game for the Raiders to jump on him.

Your next statement only asserted that the Raiders were right to demand that any player they sack is not picked up by another club.

Surely you can see the double standards at play...

You show support for the Raiders picking up a player sacked by another club, while also supporting the Raiders not wanting any player they sack being picked up by another club.

What I'm suggesting is that we were within our rights to sign Costigan because the NRL allows it. While also offering my "personal" opinion that the NRL shouldn't allow it. The rules are set by the NRL.....not the Raiders.

Keep searching for that double standard Franky.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
His contract means that if he does what he is asked he gets paid. If he is dropped he will be paid his contract as long as he plays reserves. No one has a god given right to top grade football.

If he shows up I'd play him from the bench personally but if the raiders want him playing reserve grade good luck to them. Milford post 2014 isn't our concern.

gronkathon

First Grade
Milford has turned from a almost sympathetic figure with a ailing father to an A grade Gen Y f**kwit pretty quickly

Kiwi

First Grade
if the reggies treatment was deemed good enough for Justin Hodges and Wayne Bennett, it's good enough for Milford and Stuart
I'm not gonna disagree. Broncos anx Bennett got slammed for it tbough bh the media and fans as will the Raiders

Can you explain why it's different now

For a start, the game is more professional now and the rugby league mercenary is here to stay (we may not like it, but that's reality). Keeping fans and sponsors happy is fat more important than being petty about a player signing elsewhere for the following season.

Plus, players are now well within their rights to sign a contract 12 months in advance (the 30 June tampering deadline was still in place in 2001 when Hodges was benched).

Besides, I never said I agreed with Bennett doing it either.

Last edited:

Walt Flanigan

Referee
What a mess.....

But Fairfax Media spoke to Milford's manager, Sam Ayoub, on Wednesday, when he he was well aware of the Raiders' statement and that Milford was "satisfied with the outcome".
Ayoub even claimed it was the most equitable result for the Raiders and Broncos.
"Like a game of footy there's one winner and a loser, there aren't even draws these days because of [golden-point] ... In this one it's probably the closest thing to a draw," Ayoub said.
Asked how committed Milford, the Mal Meninga Medallist in 2013, would be to Canberra next season, Ayoub said: "I'd like to see him be player of the year again in 2014".

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rn-in-doubt-20131129-2yf0i.html#ixzz2lzTJ0gJL

Pete Cash

Post Whore
So nothing has really changed cool. The raiders will play milford wherever they see best if he shows up. Which will likely be fullback until we start to suck then the bench.

ek999

First Grade
They should play him for the Mounties if they want to be vindictive. f**k giving him what he wants by sending him up to Qld

Kiwi

First Grade
A lot has changed about the game in the 12-13 years since that happened.

Ok, forget the current hoopla around the Milford situation and assume that he simply signed for Brisbane for 2015-16, without the get out clause bullshit and the threat to sit out the season. If Milford said he only wanted to play reserve grade with his mates in 2014 and refused to play first grade, there would be an uproar by the Canberra fans. But because the shoe is on the other foot, if he gets mothballed, its ok? A contract is between two parties remember.
Whilst I agree it's the raiders right to play him in reserves. Which I don't think they want to then if his form warrented selection he could certainly seek a release because of it. The Raiders couldn't argue there is better ahead of him. I imagine there would be something in player contracts along those lines.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
There would absolutely not be a clause saying that a player must play first grade. Otherwise Ferguson could have walked when he was being punished via Mounties

Kiwi

First Grade
They should play him for the Mounties if they want to be vindictive. f**k giving him what he wants by sending him up to Qld
He could rightly seek a release on those grounds though. Not playing him if his form warrants selection could force the Raiders to either play him or release him. I imagine his current contract would have extra dosh for making first grade, and even if it didn't if his form is good enough the Raiders will have to select him. How could thy argue he's not good enough after this year and if his form continues. The players association would certainly step in

Pete Cash

Post Whore
This is so insanely wrong that I fear you have some kind of brain parasite. All this literally happened at the Broncos with Hodges.

Raider_69

Post Whore
There is no way we can be forced to play him or release him. He is contracted to us and we are free to pick or not pick him as we desire.

No one is going to step in and force a coach to select a player. The team is the coaches decision and he could rightly say he is building a team for the future and needs to assess other footballers, which is why Milford is not selected.

You are dreaming if you think the NRL, RLPA or anyone else is going to forced a coach to pick a guy in his line up. Not even Kirk Reynoldson could get this and his dropping was purely about money and not triggering an extra year in his deal.

Get serious people.

Kiwi

First Grade
There would absolutely not be a clause saying that a player must play first grade. Otherwise Ferguson could have walked when he was being punished via Mounties
So you are saying players would sign a contract that said they must play for a club but the club can deny them any game time even if they were the best player at the club and in form? Would seem petty stupid on the players,managers and pplayers association to not look at that in any way.

The fergo thing was for discipline and temporary. Not out of spite and permanent while at the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.