What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Milford - wants release says players agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

natheel

Coach

Isn't that Tuxworth the bloke who pretty much ragged on Eels during their contract issues with Papalii?

Of course he will run the pro- Raiders story.

Milford seems to have come out and put the rumours to bed now?.that won't stop him though (Tuxworth)

nick87

Coach
Isn't that Tuxworth the bloke who pretty much ragged on Eels during their contract issues with Papalii?

No. He was the guy who was reporting what was happening behind the scenes, and Parramatta fans took issue with it because it wasn't what they wanted to hear

Surprise, surprise - everything he wrote was 100% spot on.

man2iel_

Juniors
I have everything crossed that we see Anthony Milford wearing a Brisbane Broncos jersey in 2015 and beyond. This signing, more so than any we have recently made, is huge and a massive loss for Canberra. Milford has the potential to be an absolute superstar in this league.

No disrespect to Raiders fans, he is the only reason I will tune in to a Raiders game.

Walt Flanigan

Referee

Of course he will run the pro- Raiders story.

Milford seems to have come out and put the rumours to bed now?.that won't stop him though (Tuxworth)

You mean the guy that all the Eels fans ragged on and then he turned out to be spot-on?

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Anything bad that happens to the broncos is too good for them. Dirty north side scum.

Hear hear.

That point you made about the Raiders putting more money into junior development in QLD than the Broncos was stunning, and quite frankly a revelation to most around here.

Perhaps you could expand?

papabear

Juniors
Hear hear.

That point you made about the Raiders putting more money into junior development in QLD than the Broncos was stunning, and quite frankly a revelation to most around here.

Perhaps you could expand?

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on what news limited / Brisbane broncos puts into junior development in Brisbane.

Snappy

Coach
The Raiders put more money into junior development in Queensland than the Broncos. The Logan area has been ours for a long time and it's only recently that the Broncos have realised they don't have a God-given right to every junior they want from Queensland and have actually started doing some development of their own.

Having said that, I don't know why they would bother given they can just poach any Queenslander in the comp without any issues apparently.

Gustavo

Juniors
Whilst it is certainly a stretch to say the Broncos have spent less on Junior Development in QLD, the amount of activity the raiders have spent within the Logan region cannot be understated. Current squads and recruitment tactics may suggest they have even done a better job than the Broncos.

Without going into figures, because i do not believe the raiders have spent more, i still think its worth highlighting some of the great development Dave Hamilton and Brian Edwards have done primarily through Souths Logan and other areas.

Notable actions by the Raiders include -

- Development Programs started by Dean Lance (currently Mark Tookey) through Souths Logan clubs. These

- Partnerships with various schools in areas such as Ipswich and Logan including development officers and programs

- Preference for Dual registration to include reserves and developing players in Logans QLD cup team, much to the disgust of dinosaur Carr. This also includes financial support vital to the survival of Souths Logan

- Signing of various QLD based players at a young age - a great example is Brenko Lee, who the raiders have had on a private school scholarship since the age of eleven. He should make his NRL debut this year. (Not so much for the region though, but the raiders own success)

- Sponsorship of high school competitions/carnivals. (unsure though as i cannot find the link, this may be wrong

Anyone with an understanding of league is aware of the longstanding links the raiders have to qld and many other regions. BUT i do not buy they have done more in qld $ wise than the Broncos simply because they have always gone for quality over the Broncos Quantity. It would seem the broncos are finally pulling their weight within the Logan region which can only be seen as a good thing.

It is a shame though, when a player who has been on our books since age 12 can so easily be poached by a team who has a massive advantage under the current salary cap rules. That being said, its a part of all sports and i am confident the raiders can continue to be one of the best clubs for developing players, given we do not have the ability to run the press and poach players the way that Brisbane does.

Plus there are 56 reasons the Raiders will always one up the Broncos :)

Paullyboy

Coach
Apparently I owe snappy some sort of response, not sure why, but here we go.

As a bloke who grew up in Brisbane playing league (not well I should add, but I still had a go) I played in competitions sponsored by the bulldogs, raiders and roosters of all people. These clubs funded junior school comps and junior club comps in Brisbane. I didn't once come across a broncos run event apart from one school clinic which I believe my parents paid a fortune for.

The broncos abuse the backyard they're lucky to own.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
The Raiders put more money into junior development in Queensland than the Broncos.

As a bloke who grew up in Brisbane playing league (not well I should add, but I still had a go) I played in competitions sponsored by the bulldogs, raiders and roosters of all people. These clubs funded junior school comps and junior club comps in Brisbane. I didn't once come across a broncos run event apart from one school clinic which I believe my parents paid a fortune for.

So just a bullshit hypothesis based on your own anecdotal experience?

Thanks for clearing that up.

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts