What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Milford - wants release says players agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie124

First Grade
Broncos system babysitted him for a while before he decided to head north to be closer to the rest of his family.

Paullyboy

Coach
I think we all forgetting that Qld is the raiders junior area, just like the riverina, and the rest of the league world.

The Raiders put more money into junior development in Queensland than the Broncos. The Logan area has been ours for a long time and it's only recently that the Broncos have realised they don't have a God-given right to every junior they want from Queensland and have actually started doing some development of their own.

Having said that, I don't know why they would bother given they can just poach any Queenslander in the comp without any issues apparently.

Joker's Wild

Coach
The Raiders put more money into junior development in Queensland than the Broncos. The Logan area has been ours for a long time and it's only recently that the Broncos have realised they don't have a God-given right to every junior they want from Queensland and have actually started doing some development of their own.

Having said that, I don't know why they would bother given they can just poach any Queenslander in the comp without any issues apparently.

*Waits for actual proof of what seems to be a completely ridiculous statement*

StGeorgeBull

Juniors
The Broncos turnover is about three times as big as Canberra. I think if Canberra outspent Brisbane IN QUEENSLAND they'd be bankrupt.

insert.pause

First Grade

Absolute bullshit.

LOL, I love you guys always good for a brain fart!

I Bleed Maroon

Referee

Ohoho wow, this is a whole other level of delusional.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...d-renege-on-deal/story-fnca0von-1226837707496
Brisbane Broncos fear Anthony Milford could renege on deal

Dan Koch
The Australian
February 26, 2014 12:00AM

Already concerned that their bid to lure Test captain Cameron Smith “home” next season has failed, the Broncos are now worried they may not gain the services of boom youngster Anthony Milford.

Speculation is mounting that the Canberra Raiders are planning a last-ditch bid to retain Milford beyond this season.

Canberra officials have publicly played down the talk, but it’s believed the club is hopeful Milford will repeat the backflip performed by his close friend and teammate Josh Papalii, who at the last minute reneged on an agreement with Parramatta.

The Broncos’ hopes of convincing Milford to move north won’t be boosted by revelations that his family has relocated to Canberra.

Brisbane was once the competition’s glamour club, with an unequalled record of finals appearances and individual representative honours. But it is facing a major challenge to their status as an NRL heavyweight. And most experts expect Anthony Griffin’s undermanned squad to slide further even further than the 12th place they managed in 2013. That was the club’s lowest-ever placing on the table.

Question marks over their recruitment and retention decisions in recent seasons have not been eased by the team’s dismal performances in the club’s two main trial fixtures. The 48-4 drubbing they received from the rampant Warriors in Dunedin last weekend saw them move into wooden spoon contention with several betting agencies.

Despite the arrival during the off-season of 2012 Dally M Medal winner Ben Barba, prop Martin Kennedy and talented winger Daniel Vidot, the lack of depth in the pack and proven quality in the halves looms as a big obstacle.

The planned signing of Milford for 2015 was seen as the key plank in the Broncos’ rebuilding strategy. Just the speculation that the deal may fall through will send shudders through the club’s enormous and expectant fan base.

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart has confirmed Milford will have the support of his family around him this season. His sister and parents, Halo and Marietta, moved to help ease the homesickness which led Milford to request a release.

However, Stuart said he had not broached the subject of Milford’s future beyond this year with anyone since the deal with Brisbane was announced.

“We are just happy he will be here this year and that is all we are focused on at the moment,” Stuart said.

Still, as the new Raiders mentor learned during his time as Parramatta coach, Canberra is not a club willing to farewell its best youngsters without a fight - as it showed by convincing Papalii to renege on his deal with the Eels prior to the round 13 cut-off for the registering of contracts.

Brisbane has more immediate concerns, with the make-up of its squad unsettled for the round one game with the Bulldogs.

Dumped skipper Sam Thaiday, however, has brushed aside concerns about the team’s poor trial form, promising they would be “ready to go” come round one.

“That’s trial form and it counts for zero next week,” Thaiday said. “That’s when we will be playing for two points and we’ll be ready.”

nick87

Coach
The clause can not be removed unless it's agreed to by the club that holds his contract.

So unless the Raiders agreed to removed the clause (and why would they?), then the clause is still very much in play. Not that i expect it to be used at all, but gee, wouldn't it be a delight if it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts