What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

any more signings?

yy_cheng

Coach
Timmy's personality is not aggressive and greedy like Thurston's
Boooooooooooooo Casper
icon7.gif

That is a very good point. Timmy knows that he doesn't have to score himself.

But my concern with Timmy is always defense and our great run now is because of defense.

IFR33K

Coach
I feel that Jarryd should stay at fullback until he loses some of his explosive pace, that being in 5 to 8 years time (assuming he stays with the Eels).
Boooooooooooooo Casper
icon7.gif

Surely you cant be serious, talking 5 to 8 years time.

What is wrong with Hayne being a fullback, but playing a first or second receiver role, just like a half or five eight. That way the team can benefit from his kick returns, and he wont have to do as much defense as a 6 or 7.

The five eight switch clearly failed, and DA will have bigger balls then we all think, to try that again.

Eelementary

Post Whore
But Ele, it is for backup and for $55k. Morts and KK haven't really secured the halves position that safely. And for Morts, there is 2nd year syndrome plus the other teams probably haven't spent the time to work him out yet.

If we get the Humble guy then there is no need for Smith.

As backup, you could say we have Mateo and possibly Burt, Reddy and Hayne as 5/8th or halfback.

Are these guys ready?

TOYOTA CUP :
6. Jaydin TAVITA 7. TK AMOSA

NSW CUP : WENTWORTHVILLE MAGPIES V BALMAIN-RYDE
6. Mark O'GRADY 7. James GREHAN

The thing is, who do you get for $55K if that is even too little for Robson?

We are talking about a back-up half here buddy.

So what if he's a back-up? And he's been out of the NRL for 2 years - but he's ready?

Please. Take your Timmy glasses off,. He's not what we need.

caylo

Bench
you make a very good point in regards to defense. I don't think Burt has the defense. INU might though.

He has the skills of fittler, daley, lockyer and where did they all end up playing?

At 6, he actually has to be fitter and he has less time than at fullback. But I just think he is capable.

I am still concerned about Morts and KK.

KK has had a handful of games at 7 albeit promising.

Morts has been targetted in defense but has not been really pressured in attack and he is still very very young.

I very much agree that Hayne is killing it at fb. But if we don't win the comp this year. We needs something more. Yes we get Tahu but who is giving good ball to INU this year? HAYNE.

I think Inu could become a very very good fullback, his kicking game was always more promising then Jarryds as youngsters he doesn't have the same set of skills in terms of passing will play more as a link player outwide (a second centre more then a second 5-8 - i that makes sense). I don't think Inu reads the game aswell as Jarryd from fullback thou (Inu has always been a centre while Jarryd grew up playing fullback) but he is better at beating a player 1 on 1 then Jarryd IMO. That is my take on Inu as a fullback anyway.

That would leave a problem, I still see Reddy as more a winger then a centre because of his finishing abilities. Thus if someone (like Filiga) forced there way into the side as a centre and Inu was moved to fullback and Hayne to 5-8 to accomidate I would have no problem but before such a time I think we are better served with Hayne in the #1.

I myself am am not worried about KK and Mortz in the halves because Hayne has shown his ability to set up the outside men plus with someone like Mateo in the side that adds some creativity. KK and Mortz should simply look at marching the team around the park, kicking the ball on the last to get us into good field position. When we are in am attacking position the responsability should be shared amoung the young halfs plus guys like Hayne and Mateo to put points on the board. I've said before I dont expect Kk and Morts to lead in the try assist next year but I do expect as a team we would be up there with the best in attack. KK and Mortz will thus be allowed to develop at their own pace with alot less pressure and then they can take over as they see fit and Hayne and Mateo can play less creating roles and play as hole runners which is when they are at their best IMO.

yy_cheng

Coach
I think Inu could become a very very good fullback, his kicking game was always more promising then Jarryds as youngsters he doesn't have the same set of skills in terms of passing will play more as a link player outwide (a second centre more then a second 5-8 - i that makes sense). I don't think Inu reads the game aswell as Jarryd from fullback thou (Inu has always been a centre while Jarryd grew up playing fullback) but he is better at beating a player 1 on 1 then Jarryd IMO. That is my take on Inu as a fullback anyway.

That would leave a problem, I still see Reddy as more a winger then a centre because of his finishing abilities. Thus if someone (like Filiga) forced there way into the side as a centre and Inu was moved to fullback and Hayne to 5-8 to accomidate I would have no problem but before such a time I think we are better served with Hayne in the #1.

I myself am am not worried about KK and Mortz in the halves because Hayne has shown his ability to set up the outside men plus with someone like Mateo in the side that adds some creativity. KK and Mortz should simply look at marching the team around the park, kicking the ball on the last to get us into good field position. When we are in am attacking position the responsability should be shared amoung the young halfs plus guys like Hayne and Mateo to put points on the board. I've said before I dont expect Kk and Morts to lead in the try assist next year but I do expect as a team we would be up there with the best in attack. KK and Mortz will thus be allowed to develop at their own pace with alot less pressure and then they can take over as they see fit and Hayne and Mateo can play less creating roles and play as hole runners which is when they are at their best IMO.

if either mortz or kk gets injured?

Would Mateo or reddy be your 5/8th?

natheel

Coach
The thing is Hayne is doing that. Hayne throws really nice left to right and right to lefts.

One to Grothe and another to INU.

He should be 5/8th ala Fittler next year.
He kicks 40/20s, he takes last tackle plays, he chips and regathers, he runs, he sets up players.

Last player who did not who was not in the halves was lockyer at fullback and look where he ended up.

I am a Tim Smith fan but my only worry is his defence. Robson and Morts are very good in defence for halves.

i think with hayne he would make a good five eight though i thinks its a pressure thing wearing the number 6 jersey. at fullback he can just roam and inject himself when he wants but with five eight he feels he has to come up with that defining play everytime

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
i think with hayne he would make a good five eight though i thinks its a pressure thing wearing the number 6 jersey. at fullback he can just roam and inject himself when he wants but with five eight he feels he has to come up with that defining play everytime

Just because a five eight gets the ball more then a fullback, doesnt mean it has more pressure in the position.

Try having to catch the ball on the full while you have 3 or 4 big guys coming to smash you. You either let the ball bouce and let a try in against your side, catch the ball and risk being an open target to a big hit ie Brett Steward in 07. (for the modern day fullback) Acting as a 3rd half, when a fullback gets the ball on the 5th he knows that they are giving it to him because the halves are under pressure so imagine the pressure going through his mind. Defence, a fullback is the last line of defence, imagine its the Grand Final and Matt Bowen and Thurston are running at you for a match winning try and you have to decide what to do knowing that if your wrong, thats it season over.

Fullback is a lonley position on a football field.

Fishboy

Juniors
My vote goes to Tim Smith!

Judging by the way some people are talking on this forum, it definitely seems like there is a chance that his coming home.

Bottom line is..... if he is willing to take $55k, $75k or even $100k I'd be happy to sign him even if ultimately he ends up playing his entire contract for wentys..... Seriously this can't be worst than paying $180k/year for a full 3 years for our mate tood - and i don't care if his been firing for the past WHOLE month! Timing wise - its a good time to take this gamble as we have a very strong roster overall. It's not like we are signing Brett Finch for $350k a year to be our major playmaker.

Tim Smith has talent and its a proven fact. Signing him for less than $100k is no more of a risk than splashing $2m over 4 years for jarryd hayne. Whose to say a bloke is going to stay healthy for the next four years especially when the game he plays is rugby league. Hayne may be the best player in the world now but maintaining that form over a long stretch is so many times harder than getting there in the first place.

As for Hayne switching to 5/8 again? With the confidence level he is currently on, he could play any position and be the best player in the world. But when it comes to the position that he is most suited to, he has shown fullback is where he really belongs. The added responsibilities of being a half will IMO negate his explosive play. His counterpunches from kick returns really gives his team mates some respite when the heads are down and the defensive line is about to give in. Hayne to stay at fullback!

Tim Smith, Good Gamble!:thumb

Last edited:

Fishboy

Juniors
and might i add.....

backing tim smith is like backing the eels - will he come good?:-k when will he come good?#-o

Craig Johnston

First Grade
and might i add.....

backing tim smith is like backing the eels - will he come good?:-k when will he come good?#-o

more like backing the sharks to win the title. it isn't going to happen and eventually their fans get sick of talking about it.

caylo

Bench
if either mortz or kk gets injured?

Would Mateo or reddy be your 5/8th?

I would probably play Reddy a 5-8 but have him attack on the wing and have Burt attack at 5-8 and defend on the wing.

Name who you want in the 2/6 but you would need Mateo to step up abit aswell and take care of some of the playmaking.

caylo

Bench
Just because a five eight gets the ball more then a fullback, doesnt mean it has more pressure in the position.

Try having to catch the ball on the full while you have 3 or 4 big guys coming to smash you. You either let the ball bouce and let a try in against your side, catch the ball and risk being an open target to a big hit ie Brett Steward in 07. (for the modern day fullback) Acting as a 3rd half, when a fullback gets the ball on the 5th he knows that they are giving it to him because the halves are under pressure so imagine the pressure going through his mind. Defence, a fullback is the last line of defence, imagine its the Grand Final and Matt Bowen and Thurston are running at you for a match winning try and you have to decide what to do knowing that if your wrong, thats it season over.

Fullback is a lonley position on a football field.

Mate for you and me its pressure, for someone lik Jarryd there is no pressure because he is able to remove that thought process. For him it not "do I let it bounce, do I catch it..." for Jarryd it is more along the lines "ok after I catch the ball and beat the first defender do I want to go infield or down the touch-line."

The best players normally don't have better skill but have the confidence to do what want and believe that they will.

The pressure that is being talked about from 6 is the pressure to have to create something. Jarryd is a fullback, he is a support player who should feed off his halves. In a whole game if Jarryd does not kick the ball or set up a try it not a problem because he is running from fullback and doing a job but for a 5-8 if he does not kick the ball or set up a try in a game the vultures will be out and esp for a high profile player on big $$. Plus defencivly there is alot more work required of a 5-8 then of the fullback and that in itself adds pressure to his game.

yy_cheng

Coach
Mate for you and me its pressure, for someone lik Jarryd there is no pressure because he is able to remove that thought process. For him it not "do I let it bounce, do I catch it..." for Jarryd it is more along the lines "ok after I catch the ball and beat the first defender do I want to go infield or down the touch-line."

The best players normally don't have better skill but have the confidence to do what want and believe that they will.

The pressure that is being talked about from 6 is the pressure to have to create something. Jarryd is a fullback, he is a support player who should feed off his halves. In a whole game if Jarryd does not kick the ball or set up a try it not a problem because he is running from fullback and doing a job but for a 5-8 if he does not kick the ball or set up a try in a game the vultures will be out and esp for a high profile player on big $$. Plus defencivly there is alot more work required of a 5-8 then of the fullback and that in itself adds pressure to his game.

But in saying that Caylo, he admitted he was lost when he played 5/8th at the beginning of the year. He was also down on form then.

Now, he is a different. In form, full of confidence.

caylo

Bench
But in saying that Caylo, he admitted he was lost when he played 5/8th at the beginning of the year. He was also down on form then.

Now, he is a different. In form, full of confidence.

I will not disagree, I think he could make it at 5-8 because alot of what he would do at 5-8 he is currently doing now. Jarryd played 4 or so games at 5-8 behind a struggling team with a halfback that only knew how to throw hospital balls - the experiment was not a complete failure when you think that most 5-8 would have struggled to play well no irrespective of how experianced they were.

Latest posts