What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here get into MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martli

Coach
RHYTHM AND STEALTH said:
New signing for the MMA

> BROCK LESNAR SIGNS DEAL WITH UFC
- Well, here comes the pain! The youngest WWE Heavyweight champion ever
Brock Lesnar is now entering a different kind of a sport - mixed martial
arts. UFC President Dana White yesterday announced the signing of Brock
Lesnar during the UFC PPV at the US Bank Arena. "I don't think there are any
other pro wrestlers that can make the transition to MMA, except for Brock
Lesnar," said White. "And if you look at his amateur wrestling credentials,
his size, and what he's done, this guy can end up being a force in the
heavyweight division of the UFC." Lesnar tried for the NFL a couple of years
ago after quitting WWE in 2004 however his dream of becoming an NFL player
was cut short as he was dropped from the team before the season started. "If
you want to go with the NFL of the fighting game, it's the UFC, and it was
an easy choice for me," said Lesnar. "Obviously I don't think I'm ready for
a title shot right away, but I will be there, and I'm not gonna turn down
any opponent because I'm here to prove myself. I'm not here to pick and
choose my fights. I'll fight whomever they want. I don't make the fights;
that's not my job. I've got one job to do and that's to fight."

Should be interesting. How do you think he will go
I think he'll do well. He has a great work ethic, has been wrestling for 18 years of his life (Former NCAA champion as well) and has spent the last 2 years working on his Jiu Jitsu and Stand up, and I have no doubts he's put in 110% for those 2 years as well (Like I said, the dude's got a great work ethic).

He has had one MMA fight and he looked pretty impressive-- a ground 'n pound victory. I don't really know much about his opponent though which suggests he might have been easy, but Brock's strength definitely showed.

The guy's an absolute beast. I'd expect him to fight some of the lower ranked guys to start with and then depending on results get a match with someone like Vera or Kongo before taking on whoever takes the heavyweight title.

Hopefully he does well, the heavyweight division is really lacking at the moment with no Fedor or Randy and a sub-par Mirko Cro Cop. Hopefully a Nogueria vs. Silvya match up can liven things up.

thanks for that link chris, that looks awesome, will u buy it for me for christmas? :p

anyways, who does everyone think is next in line for each title shot? im only kinda new to mma (since early 07, but i have gone through a lot of old dvds, ufc and pride) so my picks might be well off, but oh well.

Lightweight: (if sherk has to be stripped) Penn vs Stevenson
Welterweight: Georges St Pierre vs winner of hughes/serra
Middleweight: either Yushin Okami or Dan Henderson if he drops down to unify the belts
Light Heavy: Either Keith Jardine or winner of Silva/Liddell if it happens, depends how long they want to give rampage a rest i guess
Heavyweight: Noguiera vs Sylvia

Martli

Coach
pennywisealfie said:
thanks for that link chris, that looks awesome, will u buy it for me for christmas? :p

anyways, who does everyone think is next in line for each title shot? im only kinda new to mma (since early 07, but i have gone through a lot of old dvds, ufc and pride) so my picks might be well off, but oh well.

Lightweight: (if sherk has to be stripped) Penn vs Stevenson
Welterweight: Georges St Pierre vs winner of hughes/serra
Middleweight: either Yushin Okami or Dan Henderson if he drops down to unify the belts
Light Heavy: Either Keith Jardine or winner of Silva/Liddell if it happens, depends how long they want to give rampage a rest i guess
Heavyweight: Noguiera vs Sylvia
Lightweight: Don't know much about the divison, definitely Penn vs. Someone
Welterweight: Pretty much speaks for itself, agree.
Middleweight: Only real match is Hendo, Okami lost to Franklin and so I think it's likely Silva would beat him too
Lightheavy: This division is STAKED. Griffin and Jardine are probably my top two for the shot due to recent wins. Silva needs a non-championship fight first obviously. Then you've got the winner of Bisping/Evans who I think should fight Houstin Alexander. Most of those guys I can't see beating rampage though. I think 'page is seriously a level above at the moment.

Martli

Coach
Shogun I still in the picture for LHW too, although obviously the loss to Griffen will make things a bit more difficult.

deal c dubs

as for shogun, he didnt seem ready yet, or used to the ufc rules, i dunno, just looked out of his depth, i think he needs a few fights before thinking of a title shot, or maybe forrest griffin is reeeeeally good. id love to see him get the shot!

Martli

Coach
He was apparently injured for that fight or something. That's what I heard any way, but yes, he needs another fight before a title shot, and even then it'll probably have to be a convinceing win against a convincing opponent.

its been announced that it will indeed be chuck liddell who will fight wanderlei silva at ufc 79, so along with hughes/serra, im so pumped for that card. as for ufc 78, not so much lol.

Selachimorpha

Juniors
Despite the lack of big names, UFC 78 could end up being one of the best shows of the year. Evans/Bisping doesn't have much interest and should be a one-sided Evans victory, but other than that Edgar/Fisher, Parisyan/Chonan, Alexander/Silva, Alves/Lytle and Terrell/Herman will at the very least be good with potential to be great, particularly Frankie Edgar vs Spencer Fisher.

a few questions about tito...

first off, where is he? why isnt he the one fighting evans?

and secondly why do/did tito and dana white hate each other for?

Martli

Coach
pennywisealfie said:
a few questions about tito...

first off, where is he? why isnt he the one fighting evans?

and secondly why do/did tito and dana white hate each other for?
First, Tito does a lot outside of fighting. He trains guys, has a colthing company 'n sh*t. Jenna Jameson helps him out a sh*tload with the business side of things, my guess is he's working on most of this sh*t, keeping himself scarce in the UFC to try and maximise his earning potential. Less fights = healither body = more demand to see him fight = bigger paycheck.

Second, they both have egos the size of Jupiter and I think they just clash. It's pretty well documented on wikipedia if you want specifics but I think their own stardom has just got to their heads. Tito wants more money, Dana's like "f**k you" etc. etc. I can't remember any of the specifics so you should just wiki it :p

Dana used to be Tito's manager back in the day and they had a falling out. Probably over $$$.

Tito apparently has a recurring injury so he turned down the rematch with Rashad.

And btw - Anderson Silva is f**kin unstoppable. Only chance of him losing the belt any time soon is if Hendo cuts to 185. I can't see Okami troubling him. If Matt Hughes seriously thinks he can go up to 185 to challenge Silva...he'll get handled.

Martli

Coach
Bobby DIGital said:
If Matt Hughes seriously thinks he can go up to 185 to challenge Silva...he'll get handled.

Damn, I never heard these rumors. I agree though, in my opinion Silva has him beat, no question. We really haven't seen Silva's gorund game too much either, but something tells me he'd still beat Hughes there.

Martli said:
Damn, I never heard these rumors. I agree though, in my opinion Silva has him beat, no question. We really haven't seen Silva's gorund game too much either, but something tells me he'd still beat Hughes there.

http://www.mmafightline.com/news/2007/1026/matt_hughes_306632.shtml

Only chance Hughes would have is if he was able to take Silva down and push him into the cage. Restrict his movement. If he takes him down out near the middle, Anderson's guard is too good for him IMO. I doubt Hughes could pass it and get the mount. If Hughes tried to stand with him he'd get humiliated. He tried it with GSP and got KO'ed. He couldn't even take GSP down, so I doubt he'd be able to take the bigger Silva down.

Hughes is too cocky for mine. Thinking he can go up to 185..pffftt. There's so many guys at 170 who'd give him serious trouble. He said to his team on the latest season of The Ultimate Fighter that his clock is ticking in the sport, and he has 2-3 fights left in him. Well 1 will be against Serra...I think he will lose that anyway. If he wins that, then it will obviously be Hughes Vs GSP 3 and he'll get knocked out again. I just don't see him being in a position to challenge the Middleweight champ after losing. Even if he wins the next 2 fights, he'll be Welterweight champ and there'll be no chance of taking on Anderson. It just doesn't make sense for someone who thinks he has 3 fights max left in him, to be taking on Silva.

noone could beat anderson right now. imo he is by far pound for pund best fighter right now he is not only winning but dominating everyone including rich franklin who before anderson was a dominant champion himself.

however im a matty hughes fan and thats sad to hear he only has 3 fights left.

No doubt Anderson is pound for pound the best fighter in the game. I think GSP will eventually get that honour back soon though, he's still only 26. And BJ Penn is such an insanely talented fighter too, If he stays at 155lb he could be the best pound for pound. He just needs to work on his conditioning. At 155 I don't really think it's that much of an issue, but at 170 he seems to get gassed late in fights.

my boy Joe Stevenson has been booked to fight BJ Penn at UFC 80 for the interim Lightweight title. im so pumped for it, go joe daddy!

also while im here, does anyone know anywhere good to download season 6 of the ultimate fighter?

pennywisealfie said:
my boy Joe Stevenson has been booked to fight BJ Penn at UFC 80 for the interim Lightweight title. im so pumped for it, go joe daddy!

also while im here, does anyone know anywhere good to download season 6 of the ultimate fighter?

torrentz.com bro. just type in ultimate fighter and it's readily available. If you haven't used Torrents you will have to DL a torrent client first. Season 6 is pretty good. It actually has an Aussie fighter named George Satrilopolous from Geelong, and he's an extremely talented fighter I must say.

Season 5 is my personal favourite though. The 155lbers. The 2 coaches Bj Penn Vs Jens Pulver at the finale. Fights in the house, weight cutting drama & Bj & Jens dissin the sh*t outta each other. There were some real characters on that season too. The only problem with Downloading the eps, is that they're censored. So you don't get to hear Dana say "f*ckin" every second word. It's all beep beep, which is annoying.

I'm really looking forward to that Bj V Joe Daddy fight too. I like both guys, but I must say I'll be tipping BJ. He's a freak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts