What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here get into MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiznit

Coach
thank your lucky stars the main event isnt Okami vs Marquart(sp?) or Bisping V Akiyama.

Penn V Fitch is wicked...

Ram Man

Juniors
F$%k!!
ive been trying for 6 premium tickets.
im a member of fight club and couldnt get any tickets tuesday.
i recieve the news letter and code,wednsday still couldnt get tickets.
today i log on and can only get 2 silver tickets.
atleast im going, but people buying tickets to make money on resale can go f$%k themselves.

Totally agree with that...one of the guys I do BJJ with bought 6 Diamond, 6 Premium and 6 Gold just so he can sell them..I told him to suck a fat 1 and that he was a total douche

Snoochies

First Grade
I was lucky enough to go to the inaugral event last year and was one of the best events. The GS fight was insane and was surprised how many people knew exactly what they were watching. I guess the beauty was that the staium was filled with fans who have been watching for awhile now and not casual ring ins.
Anyway, this year I thought time to let someone else enjoy the experience and let them enjoy the experience instead of me taking up a seat again. Has nothing to do with me having my first kid and going on one wage and struggling to pay for anything.:sarcasm:

I'm envious of you guys going and am happy for the people who missed out last year, you're up for one great event.

One word of advice before the weigh ins, if there is an autograph session, get there very early as last years line up was huge. I went into Westfield Parramatta to grab some MMA gloves and shirt for Randy to sign and arrived 2hours before the weigh ins and the line was massive so missed out. Got some cool training gloves though. :)

Ram Man

Juniors
I got 2 tickets from newsletter password, but only just got them. Bronze tickets but I am still super pumped to be going...hoping for heaps of knockouts or submissions!
Had to laugh the other day reading a newspaper aticle by an Aussie journo stating the Jon Fitch would be the favourite to beat BJ Penn because fitch has a superior ground game???? Obviously has been smoking crack! :lol::lol:

Mateo Moi Moi

Juniors
I got 2 tickets from newsletter password, but only just got them. Bronze tickets but I am still super pumped to be going...hoping for heaps of knockouts or submissions!
Had to laugh the other day reading a newspaper aticle by an Aussie journo stating the Jon Fitch would be the favourite to beat BJ Penn because fitch has a superior ground game???? Obviously has been smoking crack! :lol::lol:

Quality journalism!
Jon Fitch has better wrestling I think he was trying to say...

I love this fight. I reckon BJ will have plenty of confidence and looking to put on a show and I reckon who ever wins gets a title shot next.

Is it true Fitch has never been stopped?

I love a few of the other fights. Not many people do but I like Bisping. He is a good fighter and throws some good strikes.

Aussie George v German Dennis is a cracker too. Thats a tough fight for George.

Snoochies

First Grade
I love a few of the other fights. Not many people do but I like Bisping. He is a good fighter and throws some good strikes.

I thought Bisping was harshly treated last year by the crowd, he did so much to promote that event. I don't think he'll get the same treatment this time around, think everyone just loved Wandy :)

Ram Man

Juniors
Quality journalism!
Jon Fitch has better wrestling I think he was trying to say...

I love this fight. I reckon BJ will have plenty of confidence and looking to put on a show and I reckon who ever wins gets a title shot next.

Is it true Fitch has never been stopped?

Aussie George v German Dennis is a cracker too. Thats a tough fight for George.
Yeah no doubt Fitch has an unreal wrestling game, but BJ got his Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in 2 years (most other people take about 7 years to get their Black Belt) and he won the BJJ World Championships 12 months later, so BJ is a bit of a freak. Fitch has Black Belt in Guerilla Jiu Jitsu which is an adaptation of BJJ, but I think BJ would still hold a decent advantage on the ground.
Fitch has been stopped twice in his pro career, once by KO and once by Submission. They were really early in his career and both losses were in 205lbs weight class, and he know fights at 170lbs. He has a very good chin and is only getting better.
Bit disappointed for George as I thought he would have been given a bigger name to fight instead of Siver. Not really a hard fight for GS unless he gets caught with a big shot, Siver has heavy hands!

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
to be fair to Joe Silva... with the WEC merger i think George V Siver is a match-up that makes sense.

at the earliest George will get a title shot in very late 2011.... because the winner of Gray Maynard V Frankie Edgar will be fighting Anthony Pettis probably in mid 2011.

timing wise i think there last fight's were about a week or two apart.... then you look at who else is in the mix... Florian is injured... i think Evan Dunham is earmarked to the fight for the troops... and i think everyone else is taken.

Maybe Shawn Sherk.... but Dennis Siver has won 5 of his last 6 in the UFC.... so i reckon for the moment at least Siver is a good fight for George and the UFC

Snoochies

First Grade
to be fair to Joe Silva... with the WEC merger i think George V Siver is a match-up that makes sense.

at the earliest George will get a title shot in very late 2011.... because the winner of Gray Maynard V Frankie Edgar will be fighting Anthony Pettis probably in mid 2011.

timing wise i think there last fight's were about a week or two apart.... then you look at who else is in the mix... Florian is injured... i think Evan Dunham is earmarked to the fight for the troops... and i think everyone else is taken.

Maybe Shawn Sherk.... but Dennis Siver has won 5 of his last 6 in the UFC.... so i reckon for the moment at least Siver is a good fight for George and the UFC

Speaking of Pettis, did you see this kick yesterday????

http://mmajunkie.com/news/21803/tra...ec-53-kick-inspired-by-ong-bak-cult-movie.mma

Ram Man

Juniors

Yeah you are probably right, they really didnt have any other option, I was thinking along the same lines as giving him Sherk, bit of a bigger name, former champion, wasnt expecting a title shot yet for him though.

Siver has won a few fights but none of them have really set the world on fire for mine. He did get a submission of the night and has finished some guys with spinning back kick, but Siver wouldnt go close to landing those against the higher rated opponents. Dont get me wrong Siver is a good fighter, but I dont think he will ever challenge for the title IMO.

Be interesting to see how George handles the power of Siver...I think he needs to get it to the ground ASAP, if he stands and trades punches, he may end up asleep

shiznit

Coach
i think Siver is probably dangerous enough for George... and for Siver... George is a good stepping stone for him if he beat him.

but i feel for George somewhat... hes really coming into his own... but opportunities in the division are going to be tougher to get with the WEC merger.

on the positive side... if george can keep progressing... there could be some absolutely unbelievable matches in the future with the WEC crew now around.

Ram Man

Juniors
i think Siver is probably dangerous enough for George... and for Siver... George is a good stepping stone for him if he beat him.

but i feel for George somewhat... hes really coming into his own... but opportunities in the division are going to be tougher to get with the WEC merger.

on the positive side... if george can keep progressing... there could be some absolutely unbelievable matches in the future with the WEC crew now around.

Absolutely Siver is dangerous for George, he could really derail his charge to a title shot, I think he is a capable fighter, but if Siver gets past George I really dont think, IMO, that he would go any further towards a title shot himself. Not sure his wrestling is quite up to standard, which will also be a problem for George in future fights should he fight higher ranked LW opponents, maybe Georges BJJ may get him over the line but if he comes up against an unreal wrestler, he may find it difficult to stuff the takedowns, which seems to earn a lot of points in the UFC.

Utey

Coach
My god, what a main event! Guida as entertaining as ever and for the champion to come back from that first round drubbing, wow!

Ram Man

Juniors
Tough fight the main event between Edgar and Maynard.

Guida is one of my favourite fighters, he just loves it.

pi$$ing myself at Thiago Silva playing the bongos on Brandon Vera...he totally dominated him...look for a charge at the LHW title from Silva...he is a waepon.

Jono078

Referee
Why does everyone like what Guida did but if it was Anderson Silva fighting like that everyone would blow him up?

I thought that was a rubbish fight, yes it was good tactic by him, but as I said if that was Anderson Silva everyone would be all over him bagging him.

Great event though. Briann Stann landed multiple bombs on Leben.

Love Frankie Edgar now, was really rooting for him yesterday, I don't like Maynard, I see him as the Lesnar of the LW division.

EDIT: Oh, and HOLY sh*t @ Brandon Vera's nose!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.