What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here get into MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Im leaning towards Belfort, i mean if Sonnen could outstrike Silva, You'd have to think that Vitor could do a lot more damage if he manages to catch him with a quick combo.
I also have Griffin over Franklin and Jones over Bader, although i have no real confidence in any 3 predictions, all are great match ups.

Sonnen has ok hands and Silva was constantly on the look out for the take down. If he has hands around his waist against Belfort he is possibly going to be in trouble.

I can see Silva out pointing him, dancing around Belfort and then Belfort just giving up mentally. He does tend to fold under pressure.

Ram Man

Juniors
I think Silva will be too elusive.
Penny people only hate Anderson for 2 reasons:
1. He wins
2. His last couple of fights (except for Sonnen) he carried on like a tool.

I think he is a great fighter and really like him, but I am not interested in watching him run around the octagon again like he did against Maia.

shiznit

Coach
I think Silva will be too elusive.
Penny people only hate Anderson for 2 reasons:
1. He wins
2. His last couple of fights (except for Sonnen) he carried on like a tool.

I think he is a great fighter and really like him, but I am not interested in watching him run around the octagon again like he did against Maia.
i would class myself as a Anderson Silva hater... mainly because of his attitude... i dont like how he's not willing to fight others in his camp. its not just him... i dislike Machida for the same reason too.

i just feel that if your a champion you should be taking on all comers... including team mates. and i feel the same about Rashad Evans & Jon Jones, Jon Fitch & Josh Koscheck.

and of course his Abu Dhabi episode...

the guy is a hell of a fighter... just untouchable at times... but he needs to be a REAL champion and stand and fight who they tell him too....

i already hear hes talking about retiring if he beats Belfort... just as the UFC are lining up a fight between him and GSP... and Shogun has shown interest in fighting him... :roll:

a GREAT champion wouldn't even mention retirement.... they would be licking there lips at the upcoming fights.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
He turns 36 in April. He will at least have retirement on the mind. People forget that he is older than the Nogueira brothers and is the oldest fighter at black house.

Of the big name fighters I should say. I don't know everyone who trains with him but he is older than the Nog brothers, Machida, Jacare, Cavalcante and Munoz who are the fighters I can think of....oh and JDS.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
Age is just a number when your fighting this regularly...

Look at Randy Couture... hes 47 and fighting Machida in April.

Rich Franklin is older than Silva... and hes fighting Forrest Griffin in a week...

the time for retirement is when your either not good enough to be champion... or its too dangerous to carry on.

if he retired after the Belfort fight... his legacy would be question heavily.

and so it should...

Anderson Silva's legacy in MMA will be defined more in his next 5 fights than his previous 31 fights.

quitting now would be like Sugar Ray Leonard retiring before he fought Hearns & Hagler.... Ali Retiring before Joe Frazer.

at the moment if he beat Belfort and retired he would be considered a very good MW Champion... and did very well against some pretty good LHW's... his defining fights would be Chael Sonnen, Dan Henderson, Forrest Griffen & Rich Franklin.

where he could be known as the GREATEST MW Champion of all time and also a champion in 2 different classes... his defining fights would be GSP, Shogun, Dan Henderson, Jon Jones & Rashad Evans.

he would be insane to retire now...

Last edited:

tokerShark

Juniors
I was just on the ufc website and it said more tickets have been released for Sydney, and I was able to get 4 platinum tickets, it's only diamond and platinum available.

Ram Man

Juniors
I was just on the ufc website and it said more tickets have been released for Sydney, and I was able to get 4 platinum tickets, it's only diamond and platinum available.

I thought Sold Out meant no more tickets......:crazy:
How much did you pay for them?

shiznit

Coach
Anderson already is easily the greatest MW champ of all time and in the top 3 fighters of all time.
:lol: i actually agree with you on the middleweight statement...

he is the best Middleweight Champ in UFC history...

but top 3 of all time?? your such a Anderson Silva fanboy its ridiculous.

lets look at the facts here... theres been 5 UFC MW champions... Silva, Franklin, Tanner, Bustamante & Menne. with the greatest respect to Evan Tanner & Rich Franklin... its hardly an illustrious list.

then you look at what hes done... if retires after this Belfort fight... what has he achieved?? he would be undefeated in all his UFC fights... which is a great achievement. and he would be undoubtedly the best middleweight champion of all time.

but when you start talking about all time great's... your talking about guys who have won titles in 2 different divisions... guys like BJ Penn & Randy Couture. guys who have come back from defeat and climbed back to the top echelon. Anderson Silva is capable of doing that in LHW... but until he ACTUALLY does... you cant compare him with those guys. even guys who stayed mainly in 1 division... guys like Matt Hughes, Chuck Lidell & GSP. they were/are just as dominant as Silva... in fact what impresses me more about them.. theve shown that they can fight back from defeat in the octagon and get even better.

i just look at Silva's resume at the moment... his finest fights so far would be Dan Henderson, Forest Griffin & Chael Sonnen.

great fights... but hardly on the level of Randy Couture V Chuck Lidell or GSP V BJ Penn or Matt Hughes V GSP or Matt Hughes V BJ Penn...

he can DEFINITELY become top 3 of all time... but he needs to hang around and have those superfights with GSP, Shogun, Jake Shields, Rashad Evans, Rampage, Bones Jones etc...

on a side note... if Vitor Belfort wins on the weekend... he would be come the first ever 3 division champion... which would be SOME achievement.

Last edited:
I would say Fedor, Couture & Anderson.

Yes, I am an admitted Anderson Silva fanboy. and maybe I am biased, but It also seems to me that you let your dislike for Anderson cloud your judgement.

What about his absolute destructions of Chris Leben, James Irvin & Rich Franklin twice, you didn't mention those. Top fighters that got the worst beatdowns of their lives. Forrest Griffins was embarrassing, Rich Franklin looked as scared as hell in his 2nd fight...a former UFC champion, scared. Thats how good Anderson is.

shiznit

Coach
I would say Fedor, Couture & Anderson.

Yes, I am an admitted Anderson Silva fanboy. and maybe I am biased, but It also seems to me that you let your dislike for Anderson cloud your judgement.

What about his absolute destructions of Chris Leben, James Irvin & Rich Franklin twice, you didn't mention those. Top fighters that got the worst beatdowns of their lives. Forrest Griffins was embarrassing, Rich Franklin looked as scared as hell in his 2nd fight...a former UFC champion, scared. Thats how good Anderson is.

Wow... you dont actually understand my argument do you... i was talking about Silva's GREAT fights... the fights he will look back on.

Brian Stann destroyed Leben a couple of weeks ago... does that make Silva look top 3??

Mike Kyle has done the same to James Irvin... does that make Silva look top 3??

The wins V Franklin are definitely a high point for him... they were awesome and extremely dominant over a highly ranked fighter.

but thats about it... compare him to GSP... GSP has a better record than he does... and hes beaten better fighters than Silva has. GSP has 2 wins over BJ Penn and 2 wins over Matt Hughes. Vitor Belfort is the first bloke of that class that Anderson Silva has fought. and i cant stand GSP.

to have Silva in your top 3 right now is ridiculous.

and im not REALLY hating on Anderson Silva... im just showing some perspective.

it takes more than flashy matrix dodge moves and strikes to be worthy of that top echelon.

This next couple of years will be when he shows the world his true potential. this will be the best time of his career.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about big career wins. Anderson can only defeat who they put in front of him. its that destructiveness that noone in the history of MMA can match. When Anderson is on his game, there is noone better. If we do it on biggest wins in career then we may as well put Fabricio Werdum in the top 10.

I know that seems a silly point to make, but I'm just trying to make out that Anderson can only beat whats put in front of him and he has destroyed all of them unlike GSP who more or less lays on top for 5 rounds and gets a decision.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Anderson is certainly in the top fighters of all time. It is a very young sport but its hard to deny that fact. Simply being on top of the tree NOW makes him among the best. THe sport is still evolving and he is certainly among the best strikers to ever fight in MMA. (along with your Overeems, etc)

Snoochies

First Grade
Anyone see the wiegh in, gonna be an epic fight.

Just read some interesting news about the 2 and the history. There seems to be bad blood from Silvas point of view even though he denies it.

What I read was that ever since Vitor came onto the scene, he is very popular in Brazil and still gets all the praise and media attention, whereas Silva still does not get the respect or attention that Vitor gets in Brazil.

Apparently Silva is still pissed at all the attention Vitor gets back home and I guess is jealous and really wants to beat Vitor into a pulp to show who is the true king in Brazil. Pretty pathetic if this report is true cos Vitor has not bad mouthed Silva or any opponent that I have seen.

Gonna be a great card, can't wait.

Read it here.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/wh...between-anderson-silva-vitor-belfort-1529775/

shiznit

Coach
I'm not talking about big career wins. Anderson can only defeat who they put in front of him. its that destructiveness that noone in the history of MMA can match. When Anderson is on his game, there is noone better. If we do it on biggest wins in career then we may as well put Fabricio Werdum in the top 10.

I know that seems a silly point to make, but I'm just trying to make out that Anderson can only beat whats put in front of him and he has destroyed all of them unlike GSP who more or less lays on top for 5 rounds and gets a decision.
well he hasn't fought everyone in front of him... he's refused to have a super fight with Machida because he doesn't fight against people he trains against. and now he's hating on Belfort because he took up the offer of fighting him.

and now that Dana White has been talking about the next match being a super fight with GSP... talk of retirement has come up...

Shogun has even said he will be willing to fight Anderson Silva... so these are the fights that will DEFINE his career...

and now theres talk of him retiring?? even the most ardent Anderson Silva fanboy would have to consider that cowardly... and it would forever tarnish his legacy.

hes been talking about retirement for 2 years though.

He refuses to fight his friend? so would nearly every fighter in MMA including GSP.

shiznit

Coach
hes been talking about retirement for 2 years though.

He refuses to fight his friend? so would nearly every fighter in MMA including GSP.

rubbish... only weak individuals take that line.... Shogun doesn't mind fighting team blackhouse. Vitor Belfort doesn't mind either...

its not just Anderson Silva though... Rashad Evans is similar...

unless your actually brothers there should be no problem for them to fight each other.

friends fight each other in all combat sports. its not like there fighting to the death.

De La hoya V Mosely in boxing.

The bloody K-1... best friends can fight each other 4 or 5 times a year.

some of the Dutch gyms a legendary for having close friends who destroy each other in the ring.

shiznit

Coach
11.gif

andrew057

First Grade
Looking forward to the Bader-Jones fight most, should be awesome.

Silva vs. Belfort is a crappy fight and not worthy of main event status,

Status
Not open for further replies.