What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here get into MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiznit

Coach
whoelse here has seen what Strikeforce has got planned for there heavies...

its been confirmed that there doing a tournament... this is it..

strikeforcebracket.jpg

very interesting IMO...

i still think that Cain is the number 1 at present... but if Overeem can steamroll Werdum in the first round, Fedor in the Semi and Barnett in the final... Cain would have to have his work cut out for him to deny Overeem the mythical title.

They've set it up really well imo. we're gonna see fedor vs either werdum or overeem not to mention the actual overeem/werdum fight. awesome stuff.

shiznit

Coach
Fedor needs to worry about the bloke in front of him instead of worrying about Overeem

The last time he fought he was worrying too much about a future fight with Overeem and Werdum pulled his pants down with the world watching.

he wont want to make the same mistake again.

mozza91

Coach
Fedor needs to worry about the bloke in front of him instead of worrying about Overeem

The last time he fought he was worrying too much about a future fight with Overeem and Werdum pulled his pants down with the world watching.

he wont want to make the same mistake again.
He'll KO Silva, Overeem will have more problems with Werdum.

shiznit

Coach
He'll KO Silva, Overeem will have more problems with Werdum.
im not so sure Overeem will have any trouble with Werdum.

Werdum is ordinary at best... the only reason he's even relevant is because Fedor doesn't know how to defend himself against a triangle/armbar.

mozza91

Coach
im not so sure Overeem will have any trouble with Werdum.

Werdum is ordinary at best... the only reason he's even relevant is because Fedor doesn't know how to defend himself against a triangle/armbar.
Have you seen him fight?
He's very good imo dangerous on his feet(although he won't compete with Overeem there) and great Judo and BJJ, he's a hand full for anyone he fights, plus he beat Overeem, pre roids of course.

shiznit

Coach
yeah i have seen him fight... ive seen him get knocked the f**k out by Cigano in a minute and a half. he showed absolutely nothing against the UFC's most dangerous heavyweight striker and hes gonna have it even worse against Overeem... whos even more well rounded than Cigano.

Not to mention Overeem has just won the K1 Grand Prix... thats about as accomplished you can get in striking.

MattJ

Juniors
its been announced that Lesnar and Dos Santos will be new head coaches for series 13 of TUF. Winner of the fight they have at end of the season will be the n.o. 1 contendor for a shot at Cain.

Glad to see JDS isn't going to sit around and wait for Cains surgery to heal, but not so sure that Brock is deserving of being in this position again so soon.

Either way, should make for an interesting season.

Wish 126 would hurry up and get here, in my opinion, one of the best cards ever put togethor by the UFC.

shiznit

Coach
i agree with you on UFC 126... that card is STACKED son... Silva V Belfort, Franklin V Griffin & Jones V Bader.... all main event worthy IMO... certainly better than Marquart V Okami which headlined UFC 121.

not really convinced on Cigano and Brock being coaches on TUF... Cigano is still so young... and Brock needs to learn how to take a punch before he can start coaching anyone else.

i heard pretty strong mail it was supposed to be Urijah Faber V Dominic Cruz for the next TUF... to introduce the new weight classes to the UFC.

but this smells like a reaction to the SF heavyweight tourney... it wouldnt surprise me if the tournament caused a late switch from Dana...

Last edited:

Ram Man

Juniors
I really didnt think brock would do TUF, he is usually a pretty private guy who doesnt like the media that much at all, even though he may talk a lot of smack before fights, he does not go looking for media attention.
Agree UFC 126 is an unreal fight card, UFC 121 was the worst card in many years, hence it was free!

Cigano needs to be tested by a Top 3 fighter and I think Brock provides that, and it will also give Brock the chance to prove he can take a punch because Cigano will land strikes on him...he needs to show he has a chin and can come back and not just rely on wrestling, then the old lay-and-pray!

shiznit

Coach
yeah i cant disagree with you there mate... its a good match up for both guys.

and penny's spot on about Blackhouse... this will pretty much be Team Blackhouse VS Team Death Clutch.

you should definitely see plenty of star power this season then...

because Blackhouse will have the Nog's, Silva, Machida etc...

DeathClutch may have Randy Couture... but i would think Marty Morgan will be the bloke that calls the shots.

im interested to see how DeathClutch handles the Welterweights... because as far as i know they handle Heavyweights exclusively.

Last edited:

Ram Man

Juniors
Deathclutch has a pretty handy BJJ coach as well, but they dont have 3 former UFC Champions in the gym. They only have lesser known HW fighters, who are really only at the gym to cater for Brock and his training, its not really a quality stable like other MMA training facilities....with the exception of Randy Couture of course

MattJ

Juniors
Im leaning towards Belfort, i mean if Sonnen could outstrike Silva, You'd have to think that Vitor could do a lot more damage if he manages to catch him with a quick combo.
I also have Griffin over Franklin and Jones over Bader, although i have no real confidence in any 3 predictions, all are great match ups.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Have you seen him fight?
He's very good imo dangerous on his feet(although he won't compete with Overeem there) and great Judo and BJJ, he's a hand full for anyone he fights, plus he beat Overeem, pre roids of course.

Overeem was still essentially a LHW and was sparking Werdum up. See Werdum is dangerous as hell on the ground, possibly the best HW down there BUT he struggled to take Overeem down when Overeem was lighter than him. Overeem will be the heavier fighter in the rematch.

As you rightly point out he comes from a Judo background and will be trying to take Overeem down from the clinch. This to me is highly suicidal because Overeem has such powerful knees that even one of them could end a fight. If you watch the Duffee fight Overeem catches him with a knee that completely takes the fight from him. Overeem is not a HW that one wants to clinch with.

I still think he ducks his head a little in the stand up. This is what allowed JDS to uppercut his head clean off. If Overeem times a well placed knee or an uppercut of his own it will be over.

Will be a good fight but I personally don't think you can take much from the first Werdum/Overeem fight when you consider that Overeem is going to go into the fight a lot bigger than Werdum rather than being the smaller fighter. This makes a world of difference in a match where Werdum NEEDS to get it to the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.