What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone still want to sack Flanno?

Weaponhead

Coach
It's not about last night or injuries. It's about how does the club go forward and is Flanno the right person to take the club forward.

The sides that consistently challenge have the right players in the right positions, evolve their roster and evolve their game. We look old, slow and one dimensional.

South's built to win a comp. Stuck with the old gsme plan, lost some players and dropped like a stone. Now it's major rebuild.

Something has been been off since winning the comp. The desire, effort and energy hasn't been at the same level. Perhaps a new voice is needed to shake the joint up a bit.

A few factors have cruelled the start to the season. The Holmes experiment failing has rippled through. Other positions weakened to cover. Chad being the dominant playmaker doesn't work. He is a steady game manager at best. Brailey is struggling with the pace and intensity of NRL. He will need another season of development.

shadowboxer

First Grade
It's not about last night or injuries. It's about how does the club go forward and is Flanno the right person to take the club forward.

The sides that consistently challenge have the right players in the right positions, evolve their roster and evolve their game. We look old, slow and one dimensional.

South's built to win a comp. Stuck with the old gsme plan, lost some players and dropped like a stone. Now it's major rebuild.

Something has been been off since winning the comp. The desire, effort and energy hasn't been at the same level. Perhaps a new voice is needed to shake the joint up a bit.

A few factors have cruelled the start to the season. The Holmes experiment failing has rippled through. Other positions weakened to cover. Chad being the dominant playmaker doesn't work. He is a steady game manager at best. Brailey is struggling with the pace and intensity of NRL. He will need another season of development.
Top post- well balanced.
Puts a lot in perspective really. When you take the emotion away from a loss and the position we are in at the moment, it would be a fool not to appreciate what Flanagan has been through and what he achieved in 2016. His ability to resurrect the club on a few occasions and attract players makes him probally a bloody good recruiter but as a coach.....yeah nah.
Probally acts more on knee jerks than long term thinking - but then who would be a coach, dealing with the crap like Carney etc
He has been with us for more than a decade In some capacity and maybe time to move on. John Lang didn't last as long as Flanno.
I would hope and assume the club are investigating all options and as they say in the classics, "the coach has the full support of the board"

Card Shark

Immortal

Well said mate.

Been a great coach but eventually every great coach’s time will expire.

I think his time has come.

The thing is we all love Flanno, that point is true he was the one that gave us our greatest moment.

And it had to be draining, everyone was exhausted from coaches players fans, and if we looked at ourselves even last year we were ok with how we played compared to previous years it was like old days.

It reminded me when i was season ticket holder in 80's the older ladies would say at ground even if we lost "but the boys tried hard" and that was good enough, last year everyone was basically ok with it, we got little upset when knocked out becuase we bloody knew we had chance to go back to back, but our eyes was off the ball at every level of club and fan.

Now we want it again, and for some of the players and coach its a mountain to hard to climb, too draining to come up with new strategies yet again, and still remembering that we won.

For Flanno i see clubs in the league that he would benefit greatly but for us we need yes a new coach and move on of some of our players

snout

First Grade
He needs help.

He dont seem like the guy to admit it tho.

Even bennet got walters in to work with his halves and hunt and milford said it was the best coaching theyd had. So bennet sacked kevvie - but thats another story.

But guys like potter and jason taylor and others have gigs as assitant coaches.
These guys are ex first grade coaches.
They have run professional footy teams. Some to good success.
Knowledge and experience.

At least Price had some of that.

John Morris...meh.

txta2

Bench
As soon as the coach changed the support staff the team has gone to shit. Coaches fault clubs fault who knows

Weaponhead

Coach
He needs help.

He dont seem like the guy to admit it tho.

Even bennet got walters in to work with his halves and hunt and milford said it was the best coaching theyd had. So bennet sacked kevvie - but thats another story.

But guys like potter and jason taylor and others have gigs as assitant coaches.
These guys are ex first grade coaches.
They have run professional footy teams. Some to good success.
Knowledge and experience.

At least Price had some of that.

John Morris...meh.
Isn't that Jim Dym for us?

Frenzy.

Immortal

Yes.

Yes

Yes, yes

No.

When has Flanagan or a club representative ever said that Chad was “supposed” to be a “dominant play maker”? He plays perfect Flanno ball. Haven’t all Flannos halves? I’ll go,out on a limb and say he executes the game plan given to him perfectly. We’ve seen him run, we know he can whether some want to admit it or not. I just suspect it is not in his position description. If he goes it will be Hokko doing the same shit. Was Robson before that.

Flanno took over in 2010. He had Tim Smith as a legacy. He recruited Robson. He blooded Townsend. CT was behind Robson. CT left. Robson persevered with till he too was given the rocker. Flanno then chose Townsend to come back.

Its clear what HE wants as halfback.

So while Coif will never play a Johnson role, or a JT role he’ll do exactly what they pay him $700+ for.

People won’t like it, people won’t lump it and people don’t have to like it. People will be critical and that’s their right. I can’t see it changing

So we have Jim Dymock as assitant, and he was at dogs last season we seen that attack, wouldnt mind Flanno having someone like Matt Elliott to bounce ideas off

Weaponhead

Coach
Yes.

Yes

Yes, yes

No.

When has Flanagan or a club representative ever said that Chad was “supposed” to be a “dominant play maker”? He plays perfect Flanno ball. Haven’t all Flannos halves? I’ll go,out on a limb and say he executes the game plan given to him perfectly. We’ve seen him run, we know he can whether some want to admit it or not. I just suspect it is not in his position description. If he goes it will be Hokko doing the same shit. Was Robson before that.

Flanno took over in 2010. He had Tim Smith as a legacy. He recruited Robson. He blooded Townsend. CT was behind Robson. CT left. Robson persevered with till he too was given the rocker. Flanno then chose Townsend to come back.

So while Coif will never play a Johnson role, or a JT role he’ll do exactly what they pay him $700+ for.

People won’t like it, people won’t lump it and people don’t have to like it. People will be critical and that’s their right. I can’t see it changing
From the off season, Chad was supposed to run the team as the Flanno style half back with Moylan (supposedly) adding spark. He is the most experienced spine player from the round 1 set up and has played a larger role to date.

Chad can play Flanno ball and that's it. Very little evidence if a running game over the past 18 months.

The right side attack has been bad for over a season. Bird got no ball last season and Dugan is now the same. That's on Chad to get the ball to attacking players.

In the right team he will do a good job. I said in another thread that he just what the Donks need. We either need more attack around him or he needs to step up. Current service is taking this team nowhere.

Frenzy.

Immortal
From the off season, Chad was supposed to run the team as the Flanno style half back with Moylan (supposedly) adding spark. He is the most experienced spine player from the round 1 set up and has played a larger role to date.

Chad can play Flanno ball and that's it. Very little evidence if a running game over the past 18 months.

The right side attack has been bad for over a season. Bird got no ball last season and Dugan is now the same. That's on Chad to get the ball to attacking players.

In the right team he will do a good job. I said in another thread that he just what the Donks need. We either need more attack around him or he needs to step up. Current service is taking this team nowhere.

But he can do it. Maybe he should be in 6. Best examples of his ability to run are under the Warriors structure, non Flannoball, playing at pivot

Surely

Post Whore
Yeah whatever , believe it or not Townsend's best attribute is as a support player

He excels at that

He's not a creative player.

Pot Odds

Juniors
Well said mate.

Been a great coach but eventually every great coach’s time will expire.

I think his time has come.

He is the best coach we have ever had,He hasnt been shy to make changes in an injury prone start to this season. When Flanno dosent get respect from the players then I will agree with you [ so far I havent seen it]

Pot Odds

Juniors
I’m sure the players respect him.. maybe a little too much.

Yeah I dunno Val got moved after game one he is not concerned about making changes, We were in that game V Dragons but that first 10 minutes after half time killed our chance when the guys stop making an effort then I will be worried.

Ads

First Grade
Yeah I dunno Val got moved after game one he is not concerned about making changes, We were in that game V Dragons but that first 10 minutes after half time killed our chance when the guys stop making an effort then I will be worried.
Moving players doesn’t really mean much if you keep playing a game plan that doesn’t suit the players.

Omnishark2

Juniors
While Flanno will always get credit for coaching us to our first premiership ... he was also lucky with the planets that aligned in 2016. Yes he recruited Ennis, Barba, Maloney, Lewis, Fifita etc ... but strategically his game plans are outdated & one-dimensional as many have said ... and let's face it, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Our attack has obviously been shocking, but there are some simple fixes :
  • Both sides need to straighten & square up, instead of drifting sideways
  • One-out runs get us nowhere, we need to push up and support the runner inside & out with decoys & change of angles
  • More offloads - don't take crazy risks, but we could be doing plenty more second phase
  • How many times do we have to see 3 hitups, a 4th tackle clunky block play that you could defend in your sleep, then another 5th tackle settler before the kick - Flannoball does not work in 2018 !!
  • Likewise the inside pass to the fullback - when it's our only variation, teams know what's coming
  • The attacking structures that do work in 2018 are there for all to see - Flanno just adapt, it's not rocket science, even for you !
Selection wise :
  • Dugan HAS to be fullback - defensively Moylan was poor again vs Dregs, out of position & no heart when the chips were down - it was almost as bad as Val at 1
  • Moylan HAS to be in the halves to give us some creativity
  • Chad or Hokko take your pick - Hokko is calmer under pressure, Chad can at least take on the line occassionally, and can back up well for our rare line breaks

RUBIKS

Juniors

I don't see you offering the same leeway with Braily, who is clearly playing Flannoball.

And since we're in a thread about wanting to sack the coach.... Yes.

I want him gone, not because of the last game and not because of this season... the bloke can't coach. He is a man manager.

That would be fine if he wasn't so pig headed and willing to accept help however he is constantly looking over his shoulder at people who could potentially replace him.

James Shepherd was a big loss. He seems to be doing a great job at Newy with Brownie.

However the buck stops with the coach, so if he's not willing bring credentialed staff on to help coach and he's not able to coach then he should go.

What do I mean by not able to coach? He won a premiership...

He can get players up for a game, he can get them ready, however if there isn't a player with the ability to read, control and play the game, he's not going to be able to teach them.

Ennis, Barber and Maloney were all pieces he needed to win the premiership and all of them fell into his lap by being kicked out of their teams. Now without them, Gal is running the team and Flanno's not righting the ship.

We won't see the team grow or evolve unless we sign a player who can do that for us out on the field. Flanno hoped Moylan would be that player, he wasn't.

I'd have gone for Nathan Brown but that ship has sailed. Now I'm not sure what to do.

I'll put my hand up and say while I want him gone, I don't know if there's anyone better on the open market that can replace him.

Latest posts