What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Archer should be arrested

f**k me we didnt win, get over it i am, yeh there was a bad decision but whose to say we were going to score that set? just f**king drop it we got beastem by the better side

mattyg

Bench
the penalty was rubbish but people make mistakes and parra had enough chances to win the game. The moment they lost the game was when they didn't capitalise on slater's dropped bomb. Firstly you can't let a team get a 16 point head start in a decider and expect to win playing catch up footy. Parra fans seem to be CERTAIN that you were going to score in the 3 minutes since the poor decision. Fact is you had a chance just prior to it and didn't make the most of it. Best team won and rightfully so...ref isn't to blame at all.

aspiring

Juniors
cant believe some sooks are actually saying that call robbed Parra the game! What about the Fui's High shot on Dallas Johnson go unnoticed? GI taken out? Refusal to look at Moi Mois feet for his try? All the head and neck grabbing from Parramatta in the 2nd half?

I watched the Storm carve up my team (Broncos) and they are just too good. Slater showed what a complete myth Hayne is, and that he is just all hype. Against poor opposition he is great, but when the going gets tough, so does Hayne.

mattyg

Bench
cant believe some sooks are actually saying that call robbed Parra the game! What about the Fui's High shot on Dallas Johnson go unnoticed? GI taken out? Refusal to look at Moi Mois feet for his try? All the head and neck grabbing from Parramatta in the 2nd half?

I watched the Storm carve up my team (Broncos) and they are just too good. Slater showed what a complete myth Hayne is, and that he is just all hype. Against poor opposition he is great, but when the going gets tough, so does Hayne.

I agree with most of what you said but the Hayne being a myth part deadset you must be joking right. Since when is QLD, Dragons, Bulldogs, Titans poor opposition? He dominated in origin and against the entire top 3. Melbourne had a very good plan to shut him down and it worked, but your taking the piss if you think Hayne only dominates against poor teams. He was one of the very few NSW players to stand up to Queensland and he did it consistently this year.

Chook Norris

First Grade
in summation:
- Storm were the better team (irrefutably)
- Parra were on track.. but Archer derailed them

Parra

Referee
<news ltd and lu hack mode> Archer had a top game , please keep buying OFFICIAL merchandise and FOXTEL subscriptions </news ltd and lu hack mode>

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I think that all that showed was a team that is allowed to lay in the ruck and effectively use that to stop the opposition from getting any momentum was the winner.

They played a good solid game but the simple fact is that two simple 1 on 1 tackles gave them two tries and a failure to contest a ball the third. The Eels tries were harder fought for due to better Melbourne defence and the ruck tactics that they employed and got away with when the half breaks were made by the Eels.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Haven't read the thread. Two thoughts:

1 - Looked to me like Fui made a second grab as Slater tried getting up to play it. JMO but worth a penalty.

2 - Hardly "cost the Eels the game". They were 22-6 down at one stage, that says to me that their poor defence and lack of intensity f**ked 'em. To blame the loss on that refereeing decision is poor form and makes any Parra fan (or other) who subscribes to it a sore loser.

The_Savage_1

Juniors
Parramatta had plenty of opportunities to win the game, you can't blame the loss on one decision, regardless of how important it seemed....

Sound familiar Storm fans?

we certainly weren't blaming it on one decision in 2006, try just about every 50/50 call.

The_Savage_1

Juniors
btw, watch the replay. the parra player (kingston?) running back through the ruck clearly knees slater's arm/the ball causing the ball to come free.

Tipster

Bench
that was one of the worst refereeing moments in the history of league ... mind you ... i dont really give a sh*t given the Dragons are not there

Go and learn the rules. It was a clear leg pull and a penalty was correctly awarded.

Ant

Juniors
Look I am a parra fan, need to state that straight up. I don't think we were robbed of victory by that archer call, but I do think it was a very poor call and it deprived us a fair chance of a shot of equalling the game up. That is what is upsetting, that we missed that chance through a pretty dud call.

On the reffing in general, what annoys me is when refs pull a penalty out that has not been ruled all night when the penalty is not blatent. Tonights game was reffed like most big games with few penalties especially in the ruck and only 8 in total One penalty to each side for markers not being square both were blatent, no dramas. 2 strips penalities against the storm both were blatent. Chambers took ball inside 10m, clear penalty. One for blair's high shot on inu, which was soft but was a lazy arm and and very blatent. So that is 6 of the eight penalties none so far for hold downs.

I'll add before I talk about ruck penalties, melbourne could have got a penalty for smith taking inglis out, so they missed out there. So thats one in my view melbourne can feel hard done by.

But 4 moments in the ruck that I think sums up why I personally feel a little hard done by (not saying it cost us the match). 2 were penalties and 2 were not penalties. Like any sad eels fan I watched the the game back and slowed down these incidents, yes its sad.

1. Turner is allowed to play on. That was a poor call, he was clearly on the ground on his stomach with keating around his legs. He then breaks free rises to his feet and I think he was initially looking for a quick play the ball but was given either no call to play it or a play on call. It was a huge call that was wrong. And it was one of those game changers in my view, instead of a quick play the ball on tackle 2 on his own 38m mark, turner gets to the opposition 40m mark. It allowed melb to make their last play kick from about 20m out on tackle five and force hayne in goal. Next set great run hoffman try. The turner run was huge in the context of what happens next.
2. The first of only two hold down penalties, nielsen tackled by ben smith does the classic milk the penalty pretend to rise but fall down. Gets a penalty. It was 50-50, I don't really have problem with the call if it is made consistently throughout the game. It wasn't, in the context of the game and other decisions it was very soft, but once again important. Melbourne got field position and score their 2nd try in that set.
3. A little different but relevant. Hindy loses ball looking for a quickish play the ball, he loses it because the ball is bumped by a storm players knee as he is trying to play it. 50-50 call no real dramas with it being called knock on, except the slater call is next.
4. Eels on rampage mel working out of own half, 5 mins left. Slater gets cut down by great moi moi tackle and loses ball cold trying to rise. Penalty just a bad call. Instead of eels scrum feed 35m out, its storm ball 40m from eels line, they work to play the ball and kick field goal. Makes it massive call.

So the above is my analysis on why as an eels fan I feel a little disgruntled about the way we lost and particularly the final call which deprived us of the chance to have a crack. I think in the context of the match those 3 of those calls above were big ones and lacking in consistency with what happened throughout the 80 minutes, one was just wrong. I didn't think either side was better or worse in terms of ruck hold downs, both sides had some moments when they could have been penalised. Which is clearly when the refs had decided that they were going to just let it go origin style, that they pulled a few soft ones out.

I also disagree that the storm were a much better side, I think they were clinical is taking their chances. But the eels made more line breaks and more metres and despite some poor finishing options looked more likely to make breaks. So I think it was a close game and congrats to the storm for winning, they deserved it. But I just thought we deserved the chance to have another crack when we earned it. Refs need to show consistency because what seems like small calls can have huge effects.

I am sure its been brought up, but maybe its justice for the storm as they had some horrible calls go against them in 2006 which directly cost them points and probably the grand final. calls much worse (well apart from slaters) than today's calls. We might not have won anyway but it would have been nice if was the storm's great defence and not a dud ref call that brought out charge to a halt.

Oh by the way despite my sad eels story above, I actually thought the real turning point was the eels failure to contest that ball. We had all the momentum and a decent bomb and a good chase bring us down through our own fault. If their is one area where slater has it over hayne, its his hustle in defence. Hayne wandered over and neither chose to contest the ball which is okay but then he should have got in position to be right on inglis when he caught it. Compare to when Inu caught that bomb uncontested, but slater was right there when he landed to put a hit on which forced a poor pass from Inu.
So Jarryd just an area to work on, as you let morris get a try through slackness the week before as well. But you are still a superstar.

2010 here we come. I did notice their was a lack of absolute turmoil after the game from the eels, yes they were upset, but not like 2001, I think they know on paper they should only get better in 2010. Lets hope s0 go the eels.

Jason Maher

Immortal
A couple of points. We know from the Dragons-Dogs game at Kogarah that a refereeing blunder at the end of a game is far more serious and outcome-influencing than one earlier in the game, so therefore on this principle the Eels were clearly dudded and the Inglis non-call is irrelevant. Also, where the f**k do any Dogs fans get off having a go at Parra fans for whining about a refereeing decision? You f**kwits were still whinging about the Soward call after round 26. I imagine you'll still be whinging about it whenever the Dragons-Dogs game comes around next year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I also disagree that the storm were a much better side.

That's because they weren't.

Despite some dubious ref's calls, constant holding down in the ruck and a couple of soft tries, Parramatta dominated the match.

Look at the stats: http://www.nrl.com/telstrapremiersh...d/833/fixtureid/5801/infotabid/2/default.aspx

Given that the ground was wet and Melbourne were front-runners for nearly the entire match Parramatta were all over them for yardage. If Archer hadn't ended the match with that one gutless call the better team might have won.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
The call at the end was absolute bulls**t, but Parramatta lost the game when 3 players stood by and watched as Inglis caught a bomb uncontested and strolled over the tryline.

Juniors
too busy doing my 09 champions dance to make a constructive comment wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

duck_dodgers

Juniors
grapes-print.jpg

mazz

Juniors
I watched the Slater tackle again this morning in slow motion on the Tivo. It was definitely a 50/50 call.

The elbow of Slater's ball carrying arm clearly comes in contact with the thigh of the eels player running back on side - the ball immediately coming free. Slater's feet were also still being held by Moimoi at this point.

So Slater doesn't really drop the ball cold, it was ultimately jolted.

If this were a regular play the ball, it probably would be called a knock on.

Given that it was a quick play the ball, and that no markers were present, then I reckon 50% of the time this would be called a penalty.

Anyway, I suggest everyone watch the incident in slow motion.

We can be sure of one thing though, if it were the Eels leading by 6, with Melbourne gaining momentum, and an Eels player dropping the ball in a quick play of the ball from the accidental contact with thigh of storm player, 99.9% of Eels players would support the penalty call.

Latest posts