What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Archer should be arrested

j0nesy

Bench
As a true neutral (hate the Storm and Parramatta equally) I have to say the Moi moi decision was blatantly wrong. For me it ruined what probably would have been a spectacular finish. However, I still think the better team won. Parramatta were not great from what I saw of the first half.

OVP

Coach
I still maintain - Parra wouldn't have needed the call to go their way if they weren't 16 points down in the final quarter anyway.

Yep, I'll pay that one. Oh well, I've just been angry with the refs all season and to see the game ruined by that knob Archer right at the end, really said it all for me. What a truly crap season in regards to officialdom.

However its true, Melbourne WERE the better team for most of the match, but if Parra came storming back then who cares about that.

Frailty

First Grade
The requirements to be a Parramatta Supporter:
  • Believe that every referee hates you and has an agenda against you. Doesn't matter if you win the penalty count... It was the penalties that weren't given which the referee robbed you of!
  • Don't vocalise your support until they win at least 3 wins in a row - then proclaim that they are the best team since 86 and will win the Grand Final
  • At this point remember to pull out your jersey from the last time they were winning... At least until you can buy a new one... Seems your old one doesn't fit you anymore.
  • Remember the season starts in July/August
  • Proclaim one of your good players in the best in the world... It doesn't matter if he goes missing when the team could really rely on him... Or that he takes dives....
  • Boo every play the ball, THEY ARE OFFSIDE...
  • In any post-match comments, use any variations of 'I'm not whinging but...'

OVP

Coach
Is that why there was a 4-1 penalty count in Parra's favour at half time?

It was that ONE penalty that was unbelievably crucial though. Storm up 10-0 and Parra pushing towards their line. Knobgobbler Archer decides to penalise Parra on the 5th tackle for something so minor that i truly cant even remember what it was for. This was despite the Storm being offside for about 4 of the 5 tackles in that particular set. The Storm end up scoring and putting the game out of reach. Oh well, que sera i guess.

ozjet1

Oh for f****s sake! Is it any wonder why everyone hates Parra supporters.

GET OVER IT!!! THE BETTER TEAM WON.

You had your chance and you lost. Cop it on the chin.

not entirely the point mate. yes, the parra boys basically turned up at 6.15pm when the game began at 5.15pm.

but archer killed the game. 2 poor decisions indirectly resulted in 2 scores to the murdoch storm.....coincidently, it was also the final margin. not saying parra wouldve won. but in a sport where single decisions can be a turning point of a game, archer had a massive effect.

still, parra shouldve continued with what was working too. they stretched the storm defense on 1 set which led to the FUI try. but then the players reverted back to holding the ball for the next two sets after it rather than continuing with what got them back in the game. im not even a parra fan and i was losing it in the stands. lowrie got his hands on the pill way too often in that period, and grothe was free on his wing several times......the 2nd and 3rd men inside had to continue to distribute.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If whinging after the result was a virtue yes I would be jealous.

The people were robbed.

If you cared about the people you'd be whinging too.

Archer was standing by the call.

Archer's standing by his own call?

Fancy that. :roll:

As a true neutral (hate the Storm and Parramatta equally) I have to say the Moi moi decision was blatantly wrong.

True.

For me it ruined what probably would have been a spectacular finish.

Ruined for everyone mate. Well, almost everyone.

However, I still think the better team won.

True.

But if the best team is the only one that's supposed to win, then why even have a grand final? Why not just have a first-past-the-post league system and give it to the minor premiers?

As a Parra fan I've enjoyed this season more than any year we won the minor premiership. Scraping into the 8 after a late season surge and then making the grand final has revitalised the entire NRL. The game's been dying a slow death and Parra may just have saved it. For the time being anyway.

Parramatta were not great from what I saw of the first half.

Parra were winning the yardage battle but their fringe defence and last tackle options were woeful.

That said, Melbourne were clinical as usual. They didn't give Parra much to play with.

Don't forget too, Melbourne rarely concede in the first half while Parra have been strongest in the second half. I was certain Melbourne would lead at halftime and that Parra would win the second half. Unfortunately it wasn't enough.

Parra's halves lost it for Parra in the first half, both in attack and defence. At the same time, Cronk and Finch did exactly what they had to. Too much class, too much experience.

Lack of quality playmakers has been killing Parra since 1986.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think its becoming very clear that Parra supporters are a pack of whingers.

Mate, even neutrals are saying Parra were dudded.

No Parra fans were whinging after St George smashed us in round 26. It was a clear-cut result.

Archer ruined the game. It's not just Parra fans saying that.

Apey

Staff member
but if Parra came storming back then who cares about that.

everyone sitting to you on the parra bandwagon.

It was that ONE penalty that was unbelievably crucial though. Storm up 10-0 and Parra pushing towards their line. Knobgobbler Archer decides to penalise Parra on the 5th tackle for something so minor that i truly cant even remember what it was for. This was despite the Storm being offside for about 4 of the 5 tackles in that particular set. The Storm end up scoring and putting the game out of reach. Oh well, que sera i guess.

jeez, now you're not even trying to hide it.

j0nesy

Bench
True.

But if the best team is the only one that's supposed to win, then why even have a grand final? Why not just have a first-past-the-post league system and give it to the minor premiers?

Sounds good, can we make it retrospective to 2009? ;-)

What I actually meant was that I thought the best team on the day were the Storm and they deserved to win despite the call. My overall point was that the decision was wrong and it ruined a spectacle, but the better team on the day won the game.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Mate, even neutrals are saying Parra were dudded.

No Parra fans were whinging after St George smashed us in round 26. It was a clear-cut result.

Archer ruined the game. It's not just Parra fans saying that.
Absolute dribble.

I was a neutral and neither team was dudded. Inglis should have had a blatant penatly from a kick chase and Slater should not have received that penalty late on. Apart from that the refs were excellent, although the Storm could argue the fact that they were on the end of a 5 or 6-2 penalty count until that Slater incident at the end.

Parra were not dudded. You could argue that they had the better of the game to a degree, winning the yardage battle and looking more dangerous in attack with their off-loads. But at the same time it was the fundamentals that lost them the game. Woeful last tackle options and very soft defense which allowed the Storm to slice through their little men easily for 3 simple tries.

That wasn't Archer's fault.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Melbourne never really had to get out of 3rd gear and Parra are kidding themselves if they think one decision cost them the game. By far the best team were Storm and worthy winners and unquestionably the team of the decade.

Luke Bailey

Juniors
Sent: Sunday, October 04, 2009 7:34 PM
To: TCN The Sunday Roast
Subject: Another Final Another Failure

Fellas Again?

Yep again, we sore another poor attempt at umpiring an NRL final, why is that? Wait let me see we have Tony Archer umpiring. That could be it, but just to confirm it I found the "Tony Archer is the worst Origin Referee in history" Facebook page. Seems like im not the only one that thinks this. So why don't we have a look at some poor umpiring decisions over the years? Im sure there is more then one.

CHeers Luke

P.s And im a Boncos supporter.

Sent:Monday, 5 October 2009 6:48:17 AMTo: Luke Bailey (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Referee Hayne was worse than Archer in last night's game Luke. And that crucial penalty against Moi Moi was on Hayne's advice to Archer.

Vossy

Well i got a reply from the Roast fellas, and this is what Vossy was thinking.

ozjet1

although the Storm could argue the fact that they were on the end of a 5 or 6-2 penalty count until that Slater incident at the end.

and what relevance and reasoning is this? does the penalty count have to be even for it to be fair? decisions such as that in the fui-slater incident are valid in an attempt to square the ledger?

the penalty count is irrelevant.

Crippler

Juniors
Who else saw the parra player getting onside knee the ball out of Slaters hand as well?

Unlucky but fair call.

Hanscholo

Bench
The penalty disappointed me, but when i realised it was for stealing rather for holding on i understood the decision, if not agreeing with it. The leg tackle holding down penalty is a blight on the game, and has been for some time. If Melbourne continue to get the massive advantage they get from tackling blokes onto their back and legs tackles continue to go un rewarded by our tackle grading system then im affraid this will only happen again and again.

Latest posts