What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Archer wins the grand final

RockWheel

Bench
St George – 15 premierships
Illawarra – 0
St George Illawarra - 1
http://www.rl1908.com/clubcomps/titles.htm

No, we are arguing how many first grade premierships each club has one, what the 1st grade competition was known as is irrelevant.

There are precedents for this throughout the world of sport. For example the USSR (a now defunct nation that was made of many nations) has a separate Olympic medal count to each of the nations it split into i.e. Russia, Ukraine etc.

The logic is irrefutable, dragons fans are welcome to keep their history, they can claim 16 premierships but those 16 premierships are a combination of 3 different premiership tallies from 3 clubs (0 + 1 + 15) – not 1 club.

And that's always been the thrust of the entire argument. Is there any St George fan who doesn't consider this St George Illawarra's first premiership as a joint venture.

Rexxy

Coach
Yeah good point. Well I guess he can’t be a 1 club man…. I never really thought of that.

And does the Newcastle Premiership count in 1997 when Superleague had their comp and the ARL had theirs.

I think Terminator has just had the Knights stripped of 50% of their success...

Rexxy

Coach
Willow would like an answer to post 436 if thats cool mate.

terminator is asking for an answer... :lol::lol::lol:

That takes the cake. You didnt answer any of mine.

Mate newcastle just lost one of their premierships because of you.

And how is your chess playing these days?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Officially both St George and Illawarra ceased operations as a football club in 1998.
You may need to check your facts there. It's a common error to think the joint venture means that the St George and Steelers clubs ceased. Sort of like how people think if Australia becomes a republic, we will get kicked out of the Commonwealth. It's a myth.

In 2005, the St George DRLFC celebrated our 85th anniversary at Kogarah Jubilee Oval. It was just before kickoff in the round 24 NRL match against the Eels.

2005_24_01sign1921-2005.jpg

I remember the day well. There was also a tribute to the late and great Robert Stone at half time, former Dragons forward and club official who scored a try in the 1977 grand final.

Stoney as much as anyone knew the value of tradition and history.

RockWheel said:
But do St George fans care?
Of course. The question is why do opposition supporters care.
RockWheel said:
St George Illawarra is a continuation of the St George club. St George fans have been waiting a long time, do you really think they give a f**k about who 'officially' won?
Good on you Rockwheel. Personally I look forward to the day that the so-called 'official' records catch up with the belief of fans and what the supporters of the game want.

LOL @ Willow, seriously mate you havent made sense in any of your numerous drivelling posts........... Sad to watch cause your normally a cluey kind of fellow.

But mate I'd ignore post 436 to if I was clutching at straws like your goodself!

CMUX

And does the Newcastle Premiership count in 1997 when Superleague had their comp and the ARL had theirs.

I think Terminator has just had the Knights stripped of 50% of their success...

Yes, ARL 1997 was a first grade rugby league competition and that is what we are debating – the amount of premierships each club has in 1st grade competition from 1908 until now.

taxidriver

Coach
yes willow, answer post 436.

don't let the fact that there is no question in there stop you!

i renege on what i said earlier, the genius deserves everything he gets.

LOL @ Taxi Driver.

Another who thinks that 3 clubs won the NRL premiership on Sunday.

Some special people in here these days!

skeepe

Immortal
I'm just waiting for the bit where he comes out and tries to pretend that he was fishing all along.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
yes willow, answer post 436.

don't let the fact that there is no question in there stop you!

i renege on what i said earlier, the genius deserves everything he gets.
Buggered if I know WTF the lass is going on about. There's no question there at all. Funny given it refuses to answers any questions.

So far we've had: it's the ref's fault, it's a Claytons premiership, Melbourne would have won, Canberra would have won, West Tigers would have won, and now our history doesn't exist... wow. And funny that it's coming from the dopes that have been calling us chokers all year. I tell you, these trolls are in pain - absolute agony in Nessy's case. And they called us arrogant?

Last edited:

taxidriver

Coach
LOL @ Taxi Driver.

Another who thinks that 3 clubs won the NRL premiership on Sunday.

Some special people in here these days!

no i don't

i think St George Illawarra also known as the dragons won their 16th title

where did i say three clubs won?

let me guess, more lies?

Latest posts