What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Archer wins the grand final

Jason Maher

Immortal
Right, this is the one and only comment I'm going to make on specific refereeing calls:

- Morris was out, I called it on first view, but that is hardly the first time I've seen a touchie get one of those wrong. I've seen players who were in called out, and players who were out called in. The touchie has a fraction of a second to make the call, and obviously thought Morris had flung the ball abck in in time. We didn't score off that play, so the video ref had no chance for a second look.

- Prior to the Roosters first try, the play before Scott (I think it was) dropped the ball, Anasta jumped early from marker, and should have been penalised. Having said that, as for the try itself, I'm sure I've seen it called a knock on many times when a player has planted the ball on an opponent and it has come free. Certainly if it had happened in a tackle anywahere else on the field it would have been called a knock on.

- Ben Creagh's knock on was clearly a strip. The tackle had been completed, and the second or third man in blatantly knocks the ball out of his hands.

- Jason Nightingale didn't drop the ball from that bomb, he clearly passed it to Gasnier, who was behind him.

- There should have been two penalties, one each way, for forward passes to offside players. Morris to Prior in the first half, and Pearce (I think) to (I can't recall which Roosters player) in the second half.

- Carney's forward pass that was called back was 50/50. I'd say it went marginally forward, but I could have lived with it being called play on.

- Leilua's dropped ball from a Soward kick in the first half was a dead-set knock on.

- Hornby's pass to Nightingale was line ball. He passed it from just in front of the 10m line, and it landed just in front of the 10m line. I'd need to slow-mo it to see if it actually went forward or not, but I have a suspicion it might have.

- I saw some Roosters fan whinging that Young's play the ball before Nightingale's first try was dodgy. Again, I'd have to go back and watch it in slow-mo to tell for sure, but I thought it was ok. Having said that, there was one in the first half where Young played it with 3 Roosters all over him that was called a knock on, so I'm thinking swings and round-abouts.

- My favourite whigne was someone suggesting Hornby was offisde by standing next to the play the ball for the Fien try. I'm not certain on what the actual rule is for that sort of thing, but I did note the reason Hornby was there was to block a Roosters player who was clearly offside and trying his level best to interfere and slow down the play the ball (Jake Friend I think it was). The Roosters might have had a point if Friend wasn't so clearly offside, because all of their defenders assumed Hornby was getting the ball, and that's what created the hole for Fien.

- The Morris push in the back should have been penalised.

- The Dean Young try was 50/50. Benefit of the doubt was the correct call for mine, as I thought Young had the ball and Aubusson, deliberately or otherwise, actually knocked the ball free. I could have lived with it being called no try however.

- The tackled in the air call on Morris could have gone 3 ways: penalty against Hornby for blocking, knock-on against Morris, or tackled in mid-air. At least he was actually tackled in mid air.

- Saffy should have been pinged for tackling Minichello before he got the ball, although it looked worse on the slow-mo replay, which the ref doesn't have the benefit of viewing.

Overall, though, we were a mile the better team, not just on the day, but all season. We deserved this one. And we desrved a break from the refs after many, many years of being dudded, especially in big games.

Timbo

Staff member
Jesus Christ - and Raiders fans have a reputation as whingers about refs?

It's not like you lost by 2. You lost by a million having had the lead at halftime. Yeah there were some iffy calls, but they by and large went both ways and the fact is the Roosters didn't drive home the advantage when they had it.

Only one teams fans have a right to complain about officials from this finals series: Wests. Anasta's 'miracle' field goal shouldn't have happened because that scrum was ridiculous and should've been re-packed.

Iafeta

Referee
The referees aren't up to the standard of football, that's for sure. It's been going on for years but Funch keeps sweeping it under the carpet. I'm surprised not much has been said about Young's try, knocked it on into Aubusson for your life.

gregstar

Referee
there was nothing wrong with the officiating at all.

saints were absolutely rorted in that first half.

duck_dodgers

Juniors
don't know why anyone is surprised ... it was all foretold a few days earlier ...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...th-whistleblower/story-e6frfgbo-1225931157305

284245-lucky-charm.jpg

GRAND final referee Tony Archer has been outed as the Dragons' good luck charm - with the premiership favourites enjoying more success under the whistleblower than any other team in the NRL.

hellteam

First Grade
Young's try was one of those ones where I would have been happy for it to be given or denied- so benefit of the doubt was a fair outcome to me

The overhead shot proved it wasn't a forward pass- correct and unfortunate.

re Anasta's try- I was thinking more 8 point try than penalty try

You forgot when Perrett got pushed with no penalty and you scored from the drop out.

No way was Youngs try BOD. If that occurred in the field of play it is a knock on every day of the week.

Oh and as we could see from the overhead shot it wasnt a forward pass.

As for Anastas try should have been a penalty try IMO. Cannot use feet to save a try.

Are you guys serious? He planted it on Sowards thigh. He was trying to get under the ball. That has never been a penalty.

I'm seriously not going to argue any more, if you think that is a try, you are blind and stupid and it must have been the first match of rugby league you have ever watched (yes, Harrigan is blind and stupid).

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
How do you get back to the ground? You saw the post match pictures right? How do you get to the leagues club?

Oh but you would be out celebrating with your mates, lol. What, in the ANZ parking lot?

You said you were on the train going HOME.

I'd be celebrating with my mates at the nearest pub or somewhere in the city. But that's not what this is about. I sure as sh*t wouldn't be sitting on a train by myself making angry little abusive posts on LU.

_Johnsy

Referee
whinge, whinge, whinge

Suck it up and choke on it !!!!!

Roosters gave up in the 2nd half. When they needed to respond they couldn't, not good enough.

We all know the better team won last night, and by a decent margin.

If anyone thinks otherwise, all they are doing is showing their obvious lack of understanding of rugby league.

Meth

Staff member
Are you guys serious? He planted it on Sowards thigh. He was trying to get under the ball. That has never been a penalty.

I'm seriously not going to argue any more, if you think that is a try, you are blind and stupid and it must have been the first match of rugby league you have ever watched (yes, Harrigan is blind and stupid).

Sorry, I think I seriously confused incidents

I saw Anasta's try like you saw it- although I wasn't surprised to see it given.

The possible 8 point try I was alluding to was when Nightingale (I think) scored and somebody slid in with their knees.

A few too many...

Gaba

First Grade
The possible 8 point try I was alluding to was when Nightingale (I think) scored and somebody slid in with their knees.

A few too many...
that what i was thinking too, when minichello slid in with his knees in the nightingale last try, that was closer to a possible 8 point try

hellteam

First Grade
Sorry, I think I seriously confused incidents

I saw Anasta's try like you saw it- although I wasn't surprised to see it given.

A few too many...

Ah yep, yeah I was surprised that wasn't an 8 point try. I said in another thread, if it had happened on a Roosters player (because they were behind), it would have been an 8 point try, refs always seem to give any advantage to the losing team this year.

Doomednow

Bench
You might have won it fair and square, we'll never know.

Victory will go down as a farce. Worst grand final refereeing in the history of the NRL. Without question

This.

If both teams played at the same level they did today with fair refereeing I would think the dragons still should have won, but we shouldn't have to speculate like that. Referees have been downright incompetent and atrocious all season and this MUST be fixed. There must be something the game can do to clean this up. We have problems with everything from intentional or even unintentional (subconscious) bias to poor interpretation of the rules and general ineptitude.

Professionalise Referees now.

Still dragons won. Can't take that away from them.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I thought it was clear what I meant but I'll dumb it down for you - had Carney converted both tries, the Roosters would've been in front 12-6 instead of 8-6. That's at least two scoring plays required to get back in front for Saints, and while they did it vs Tigers, who knows last night.

The important thing is that they found their mojo in the second half and regardless of how many people think the referee had a role, he didn't. They were the better and more deserving team yesterday.

Meth

Staff member
I thought it was clear what I meant but I'll dumb it down for you

nope it was plenty dumb enough

I don't think Bennett was saying to his team at half time- 'fellas, we're still in this- Carney missed those conversions'

SET2JT

Juniors
nope it was plenty dumb enough

I don't think Bennett was saying to his team at half time- 'fellas, we're still in this- Carney missed those conversions'
Bennett might not have said that. But i know the players would have been glad going into half time only down by 2pts instead of 6.

MightyBronco

Juniors
Yup, this win by the dragons is definitely tainted. That game was a total farce.

And dont get me started on the terrible commentary as well. What is it with all things NSW and total incompetence?

Meth

Staff member
Bennett might not have said that. But i know the players would have been glad going into half time only down by 2pts instead of 6.

For sure.

If Carney had of converted those tries, it would have been a completely different outcome I think. The Roosters would have won by 40 :roll:

Latest posts