What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Newcastle the 2008 version of the 2005 Tigers?

Hanscholo

Bench
No mate we are still rebuilding i think. Granted we are 12 months ahead of where most of us predicted we would be but we are still shy of the best couple of sides in the comp.

Im am just delighted to have my football team back playing attractive and honest football, if we make the 8 then ill be very happy. Anything higher than 10th spot is profit this season for me. Im sure in the next two years with some smart buys the club will be camping back up in the top 4 again.

Hanscholo

Bench
come on, lets be honest now. have a look at the newcastle team that played parra in the '01 grand final and then have a glance at the parra team. it's a miracle how much they dominated that year in the first place. they were never going to beat the knights that day.

smith constantly over achieved at parra. while he made some dodgy calls on recruitment and retention (a lot which were forced by the salary cap)... he also made some very good decisions in that department. currently, at the knights, all of his recruits are looking the goods and we have masses of young talent that he has kept from within the club. we have more depth in most positions than a lot of clubs have in ANY one position. hell, we can even beat quality opposition without star players (simpson and buderus against the tits).

smith not being able to win big games is a complete myth. we've paved the way for other teams this year showing them how to beat competition heavyweights. we've had the strategy in place to beat every team we've come up against this year, and if it weren't for a few penalties here and there, we could easily be 5 - 2 or 6 - 1 this year.

And well said.

I didnt mention it because i didnt see the relevance but if you want to take a swipe at Smith let me assure you of this. His game plans this year against every side we have played have been nothing short of brilliant. When we have lost its been because the players didnt execute, the coaching and the retention so far in 2008 is league leading.

The good news is smith was on the money with a clean-out strategy.

The bad news is is harmony hasnt been fully achieved and smith still has unsettling plans ahead.

aqua_duck

Coach
We won't win the comp this year, I'd almost put my house on it. However my satisfaction is from proving doubters wrong, namely news limited journos and a certain 2GB broadcaster.

Smithy said something a few weeks back about the team that really kind of stuck in my mind, he said something along the lines of in terms of experience we're still a team on L plates.

People think we've peaked but I certainly don't think so, I mean we're yet to have a full strength team on the park, and yet to pout 2 good halves of football together. Also with so many new players its hard to get combinations right so quickly.

Most semi educated knights fans knew smith was doing the right thing with his cleanout, sure maybe he didn't quite go about it the right way but thats how smith is, he's old school. The things thats impressed me is the way alot of the 'rejects' are playing, eg

Cooper Vuna-unwanted by the warriors last year, if he plays to his potential he'll be in the NZ world cup team

Wes Naiqama-Had a horror year last year with a knee reco and jail, but has been one of our most consistent this year, is on peanuts compared to some other 1st graders

Matt Hilder-unwanted by the titans, one of our most important players

Jesse Royal-journeyman ex soldier and penrith lower grader, now is a genuine 1st grader

Richie Fa'aoso-Parra PL player and journeyman, now a big impact weapon off our bench

Zeb Taia-unwanted by parra last year, has found a home at the knights

Chris Bailey-recruited from bush footy, now being chased by several clubs

miccle

Bench
I'm still not totally convinced that Brian Smith will ever, EVER win a premiership.

What he can do and WILL achieve at the Knights, IMO, is rebuilding the club from the ground up. How long have they got him for, out of interest? I can honestly see them being real threats in the finals, but they'll fall just short in the next year or two. If BS buggers off after that, surely a premiership isn't far away.

To put it bluntly, I'll be very surprised if the Knights don't win a comp in the next 4 years or so. Don't like the team one iota, but it's a real RL stronghold with some of the most devoted fans in the comp. For that reason, I sure hope my prediction does come true (unless Brisbane wins the next four years straight, that'd be nice too!)

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I'm still not totally convinced that Brian Smith will ever, EVER win a premiership.

What he can do and WILL achieve at the Knights, IMO, is rebuilding the club from the ground up. How long have they got him for, out of interest? I can honestly see them being real threats in the finals, but they'll fall just short in the next year or two. If BS buggers off after that, surely a premiership isn't far away.

To put it bluntly, I'll be very surprised if the Knights don't win a comp in the next 4 years or so. Don't like the team one iota, but it's a real RL stronghold with some of the most devoted fans in the comp. For that reason, I sure hope my prediction does come true (unless Brisbane wins the next four years straight, that'd be nice too!)
I don't mind the sound of that ;-)

Seriously though, lets not get too carried away with the Knights by comparing them to the Tigers in 05. We still are absolutely nowhere near our best at the moment, which is fine by me considering we're only 8 weeks into the comp. Sure we've beaten the Roosters and Titans in our last 2 games, but both matches were pretty much home games. Our record on the road is something which still concerns me a lot. We haven't won outside NSW since late 2006. Our biggest test this year, without any doubt in the world comes next Monday night at Olympic Park. If we can manage a win (realistically, unlikely) considering we've had our backsides spanked on more than one occasion down there, than people may start to take us a little more seriously.

No one is taking us seriously at the moment, and from a Knights fans perspective thats just fine with me. We'll go under the radar for as long as we possibly can.

The most exciting aspect about this team is we haven't, as has been said, put a full-strength team on the park as yet. Methinks we might go mighty close to naming one this weekend with Buderus and Simpson back and possibly Dureau.

You have no f**king idea how dumb you are.

Statistically, Brisbane in 2006 were more befitting of the Bradbury title, yet they were spared any stigma or idiots trying to undermine their achievement.

In 2005, the Tigers played brilliantly attacking footy and thoroughly deserved the title. A year later we resumed our position in the middle of the table. I don't know why so many jealous dropkicks begrudge us for one year of success in the midst of an eternity of mediocrity?

hugzy

Juniors
tigres 05 was one of those great teams no one knew about until hindsight

brian smith have the ability to knit no names together and get the team chemistry up (which these days is much more important than talent on paper). but i still doubt his ability to lift players in big games

hugzy

Juniors
I don't know why so many jealous dropkicks begrudge us for one year of success in the midst of an eternity of mediocrity?

haha, as long as u have success, there will be haters

Deanoknights

Juniors
Just curious does anyone know how many finals games Brian Smiths coached teams have Won or Lost as i consider prelims and other finals to be pretty BIG games not just GF's..:cool:

doggone

Juniors
Good Luck to the Knights. Early days see what happens but a much better team than last year. They well make the top eight all going well.

Hanscholo

Bench
The Tigers in 2005 proved that all you need to do to win a comp is to get to the semi finals and play your guts out, defend well and chance your arm.

They werent the best team in 2005, however the were the form team of the semi's and that is what counts....a lot like Newcastle in 2001.

Knight87

Juniors
As they say, the hardest part is getting there first. You've gotta be in it to win it. Then, come finals time and eventually the GF, it all comes down to who plays best on the day. Statistics during the regular season all mean nothing come finals time.

Knight87

Juniors
Just curious does anyone know how many finals games Brian Smiths coached teams have Won or Lost as i consider prelims and other finals to be pretty BIG games not just GF's..:cool:

All final series games in the NSWRL/ARL/NRL that Brian Smith has coached:

1992 (St George) - 2 from 4 (RUNNERS-UP)
1993 (St George) - 2 from 3 (RUNNERS-UP)
1995 (St George) - 0 from 1 (QUALIFYING FINALISTS)
1997 (Parramatta)- 0 from 2 (SEMI-FINALISTS)
1998 (Parramatta)- 2 from 3 (PRELIMINARY FINALISTS)
1999 (Parramatta)- 1 from 2 (PRELIMINARY FINALISTS)
2000 (Parramatta)- 2 from 3 (PRELIMINARY FINALISTS)
2001 (Parramatta)- 2 from 3 (RUNNERS-UP)
2002 (Parramatta)- 0 from 1 (QUALIFYING FINALISTS)
2005 (Parramatta)- 1 from 2 (PRELIMINARY FINALISTS)

Overall finals record: 12 from 24 (50% win rate)
Excluding GFs : 12 from 21 (57% win rate)

As you may know, Smith also coached in the UK (Hull FC during 1988-90) and Bradford in Super League's first season (1996), but neither of those seasons had the playoff system implemented (they came later on in 1998), hence no finals matches coached by Smith over there.

With Bradford in the SL, they finished 3rd out of 12 on the ladder at the end of 22 rounds (Won 17, Loss 5) and they made the Challenge Cup final that year (lost to St Helens 40-32, infront of 76,000 ppl at Wembley Stadium).