What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we a chance on Sunday?

sportive cupid

Referee
Hey guys,a question for you.
Does defence win matches?or does defence stop you from losing matches?
How do you actually win with defence?

Bazal

Post Whore
I'm not confident...but I haven't been for the last 12 weeks, so it seems to be working ok for me :lol:

In all honesty, they will try and use our inexperience against us and blow us out of the game in the opening 20 minutes much like the Bulldogs. If we can withstand that assault (like we did last week against, IMO, a better side) then we're in with a huge chance and will probably have the advantage.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Listen young lady, go and stand in the corner, and don't come out until your told....of course we will win by 2 or 3 tries, and there WILL be no wetting of pants until further notice.
... sorry boss:(

Guys, guys, guys, im NEVER confident. Friday night when cgee and i had chats at half, that was the first time i had an eery calm ALL WEEK.

Melbourne are just so brutal!! It's terrifying (Terry-fying?)

Still, so proud of what they've acheived. And no doubt we'll be drinking no matter what!

noosa-eel

Juniors
Hell yes we are a chance. I think we are mentally & physically hardened up for this game..........;-)

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I posted this in another thread, we are a good chance;

Without being to confident, does anyone think Melbournes form isn't as good as it is made out;

- Defeated Broncos without a half, I didn't watch the game but from reports Broncos were terrible
- Yes beat Manly but Orford had shocker. Manly's form hasn't been great this year
- Gave it to NZ , 30 to 0. NZ are horrible and we had a similar score against NZ
- Flogged the roosters, enough said
- Defeated by Manly
- Defeated by Newcastle
- Win over the NQ in a close game.
- lose to STG

Just looking at their form over the last couple of week it isn't something to be scared off. They may be favourites but eels may just have the edge

hilltop hood

Juniors
Leading into the finals, there was plenty of people of the opinion that they were struggling. Since then they have knocked over two teams that in all honesty were ripe for the plucking. It's good everybody sees them as the favs.

We are a BIG chance.

Bazal

Post Whore

Last week. The Dogs tried to belt us into the ground, that was their game plan. We held them out and got on top through our defence, and then they had no answers because the game plan was foiled...

yy_cheng

Coach
What do you mean when you say "clinical"?:?

Clinical I would say means, the take the opportunities that comes to them and execute to perfection.

We are Non Clinical. We throw the ball around and know some is there to pick it up. But we sometimes, knock it on or throw it over the side line or get intercepted.

natheel

Coach
the fact they flogged MANLY and BRISBANE doesnt worry me, i mean we beat 1 2 and 3 and only conceded 6 points in the combined second halves im pretty sure against dragons. kept titans tryless the whole game who have potent attacking players

melbourne are clinical yes but honestly like the dickhead gould said they havnt had their 'acid' test yet and we will provide that this week.

Mortimer will have a blinder i think, nothing seems to phase this kid. think he will score the match winner again

Parra to win 22 - 16

yy_cheng

Coach

Of course defense wins matches. Parra Vs C'Bury, 6-4 and 4-2.

Once your defense is in order, you stop the opposition, they become frustrated and behave differently, you on the other hand, gains confidence and the mental edge.

And slowly you come out stronger and on top.

Of course you need to score points but the foundation of the defense is what helps you score.

natheel

Coach
Clinical I would say means, the take the opportunities that comes to them and execute to perfection.

We are Non Clinical. We throw the ball around and know some is there to pick it up. But we sometimes, knock it on or throw it over the side line or get intercepted.

we are very adlib in attack yes but our defence is very clinical and will match the storms attack.

Reddy will shut out inglis i think and we should just frustrate the sh*t out of slater and he will have a very up and down game.

their forwards will go out to smash us in the first 20 and will offer about the same as dogs offered in the first 20 in regards to smashing us, the only thing that will stuff our forwards is the fact that its the grand final and the awe of the crowd but hoping itll be a blue and gold ANZ stadium this weekend with a patch of purple in the corner :D

the crowd will get behind us thqts for sure and the eels love it when the crowd is behind them in such big games, just look at last week and the titans game.

im getting more confident by the day

Freak2

Juniors
We are in this up to our eyeballs.

Just strap in and enjoy the ride!!!

Oops I mean stay strapped in.... we have been riding this one for a while now!!

The Colonel

Immortal
Do we have a chance? More chance then the Bulldogs, Broncos, Dragons, Titans and 10 other teams do. Defensively they have shown they are up for it...... if we can manage to hold the Storm forwards then their backs don't get the chances they have had in recent weeks.

They were clinical against the Broncos but the Broncos were beaten before they ran out IMO. You find a halfback, you don't manufacture one in big games, and you play him even if he is Shane Perry.

Manly went through the motions expecting us to get knocked over and they could start again the next week.

The Eels, the fans, the players, the coaching staff and the admin - collectively WE.... we've been battling through semi-final football since we last beat them. Sure it was after Origin and they had some injuries and some players backing up but we beat them. They haven't beaten us now since the 2007 semi-final. We've knocked over 1st, 2nd and 3rd in recent weeks. WE have been there with the players, riding the highs and the lows.

We keep doing what they say can't be done. We've come a long way on the back of that. Are we definites? No. Are we a chance? F**K YES. We are in the Grand Final. Only two teams can say that. 14 others have to sit back and watch us.

We've turned up and stood up when it has counted. This week counts for everything. This is for the big bickies. There are no more games after this one.

TURN UP! STAND UP!

By the way, they have Brett Finch. We don't..... bank on it.

Mark_S

Juniors
Defence is the key again this week. Look at what the doggies threw at us in the 2nd half last Friday night and how the line held.

My biggest issues are Inglis with Grothe and Smith from Dummy half. Slowing the play the ball will help with Smith. Joel Ready and Eric Grothe will need to be on thier toes.

I rate us a good chance if we can play as we have against the Doggies, Titans, & Dragons.

thedux

Juniors
do we have a chance? More chance then the bulldogs, broncos, dragons, titans and 10 other teams do. Defensively they have shown they are up for it...... If we can manage to hold the storm forwards then their backs don't get the chances they have had in recent weeks.

They were clinical against the broncos but the broncos were beaten before they ran out imo. You find a halfback, you don't manufacture one in big games, and you play him even if he is shane perry.

Manly went through the motions expecting us to get knocked over and they could start again the next week.

The eels, the fans, the players, the coaching staff and the admin - collectively we.... We've been battling through semi-final football since we last beat them. Sure it was after origin and they had some injuries and some players backing up but we beat them. They haven't beaten us now since the 2007 semi-final. We've knocked over 1st, 2nd and 3rd in recent weeks. We have been there with the players, riding the highs and the lows.

We keep doing what they say can't be done. We've come a long way on the back of that. Are we definites? No. Are we a chance? F**k yes. We are in the grand final. Only two teams can say that. 14 others have to sit back and watch us.

We've turned up and stood up when it has counted. This week counts for everything. This is for the big bickies. There are no more games after this one.

Turn up! Stand up!

By the way, they have brett finch. We don't..... Bank on it.

amen!!!!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
we beat them last time and we are playing alot better now

we can beat them, no problems

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I would say a 40% chance.

I hope Parra win, but Melbourne are experienced, ruthless, well drilled and have attacking weapons in Inglis and Slater.

I give you a 40% chance as the other mob have Finch.

Sangreal 86

Juniors
We have to be confident Jess! Otherwise what's the point in turning up on Sunday if we don't think we can win?

I understand where your coming from, though the Storm is nothing we can't handle! The start is the key...it will go quick and we need to match it with them physically for the first 10-15...if we score first after this, we go a long way to winning it and we build the right momentum...we don't want to be chasing them.

Use my positive mind Jess, we can't let the occassion over-awe us otherwise the game is already gone...smart tactics and game plans, along with our flambouyance and steel defence will win us this thing, we've all got to have the mindset we can win this thing, for if we can't see ourselves winning it, what chance are we of actually doing it?

YES WE CAN!!! :D:D:D I need you to share my positivity Jess :D

Our boys have been put to the sword week after week for a few months, and for the past few weeks have been bashed without mercy, and we just keep getting up and firing back into the fray. I have not seen a big red "S" on the front of any Melbourne player except for the Suzuki logo, so they are not superior in any position, and Origin and Test jumpers mean nothing on Grand Final day. Melbourne do not have the same team, they have a lot of kids in their side as well, and they have never been in this position before, but we have last Friday nights game up our sleeve that gave our kids invaluable experience, as they walked straight into a cauldron and weathered the storm and actually blew chances. The Storm are coming to our city, just a stones throw away from the Parramatta heart land, and we have already upset their applecart, as they cannot stay at Crown Plaza Parramatta where they have for the past 3 years, and have had to go to Coggee so their routine is already array. We just worry about ourselves and have a think about Friday night when one of the boys made a half break, backup came from everywhere, and think of the games Matt Keating, Kevin Kingston, Ben Smith had, and throw in the normal stars from the past weeks, Hindy's usual game and rampaging Fui, we are a complete team, but what really shone in my eyes was the old bull and the young bull stepping up to the plate. When Nathan hobbled off, I was shattered for the bloke and we were getting severely beaten around the face and body, and the old bull Joe, and the young bull Tim giving no quarter, and let me tell you the Melbourne and Brisbane blokes at the time would be thinking at the time, " have a look at these blokes". To all on here we should be so proud of our team, and Jess you pull your head in, as Melbourne would be sh*tting themselves with what they saw last Friday night as our blokes actually had defence in front of them that consisted of 3 to 5 blokes in every tackle, and we still rampage from on end to the other. The last thing Jess is that Melbourne would still have last years flogging on their minds, and I do not care what anyone says, Cameron Smith as good as he is, is not a 40 point a game player. Keep the faith.

yy_cheng

Coach
What happens if they found out we had 14 players on the field against the doggies? Shhhhh.

Does Canterbury tale our place?