What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we cheats? (again)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It's all very interesting. Many on this board and even some in the media are starting to sniff around us, with the announcement of signings for 2011, and alleging we may be over the cap.

I'd argue the toss as running the numbers indicates at present we've lost more players than we've gained.

Thoughts?

macnaz

Staff member
lol the sig..
Talking of signings, anyone here heard the rumour you have signed weststigers Andrew Fifita.

Big Mick

Referee
I don't fully think you are cheating.

Its more the fact it looks suspect when looking at the list of players lost and their quality and comparing to the list of players gained and their quality & salary demands.

But more than likely at least one player is gone in the next 2-3 weeks.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I'm gonna go with no because you'd have to be deadset stupid to try cheat the cap so soon after the whole Storm debacle.

meltiger

First Grade
Pfft, we thought it would never happen again after Canterbury got stung, all it took was for a greedy, stupid individual to get involved in Melbourne for it to happen again.

If anyone at Canterbury of all places is stupid enough to do it again ... well lol @ any idiot that did.

FWIW, I tend to agree with Tim, unless existing players have gained massive upgrades, I can't see the list of signings being THAT significant.

Bulldog Force

Referee
  1. NRL_Bulldogs New player signings for next year announced. Millington, Lett and Wright confirmed to join the squad in 2011.http://twurl.nl/8nmcl0 about 22 hours ago via web Retweeted by Todd_Greenberg and 2 others
  2. NRL_Bulldogs 2010 Fast Fact – Brett Kimmorley made more 1-on-1 tackles than any other NRL player! 2:33 PM Sep 21st via web Retweeted by Todd_Greenberg and 2 others
  3. Big prizes to be won on line with our mate Jason Stevens and his new show - check it out - www.facebook.com/bigjsplace. about 24 hours ago via web
  4. GreatestQuotes "Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it." - Lou Holtz 8:00 AM Sep 17th via SocialOomph Retweeted by Todd_Greenberg and 100+ others
  5. Good luck to the Bulldogs U/20's playing a semi-final tomorrow at the SFS V Roosters. Great group of young men all doing their Club proud. 2:22 PM Sep 17th via web
  6. And no need to worry about salary cap compliance - we are comfortably under the cap and all documentation is in order! Good governance! 2:18 PM Sep 17th via web
  7. Received lots of questions re recruitment/retention program for 2011-some great additions already locked in-more good news in next few weeks
http://twitter.com/Todd_Greenberg

Enough said!

RHCP

Bench
The Bulldogs would not be stupid enough to pull the same sh*t twice I hope, but to use your CEO denying it as a reason to say you are cap compliant is ludicrous. What would you expect him to say?

Special K

Coach
I'd argue the toss as running the numbers indicates at present we've lost more players than we've gained.
I don't know if you have lost more than you have gained. I could see MAYBE equal... But if you add Blair and or Eastwood, without losing anyone then questions must really be asked.

And BF the Storm went on record for the past few years saying they were clean. They even said they were 10k under the cap this year the cheeky buggers!!

Timmah

Staff member
I don't know if you have lost more than you have gained. I could see MAYBE equal... But if you add Blair and or Eastwood, without losing anyone then questions must really be asked
Uhm, I said I've run the numbers and we have LOST more than we have GAINED. Currently stands at 7 acquistions and 8 releases.

RHCP

Bench
So if Newcastle lose Cameron Ciraldo and Joel Edwards but gain Jarryd Hayne, they must still be under the cap because they lost more players than they gained?

MatthewA

Juniors
Not a chance. Greenberg and co are too smart to let that happen again.

When you take into consideration the facts that we've...

- Had 2 cap audits recently and both came back well under, according to Greenberg (twitter).
- The new laws allowing more leniency under the cap and an extra $300k or so (something along those lines, yes?)
- Have over $1.5 million+ leaving the club next year (Kimmorley, Patten, Hannant, Gordon, D. Williams, Green, Harrison, Winitana, Neumann and Hickey who was on 200k alone, which was well reported at the time he re-signed a while ago)

I think it's safe to say we are well under. I applaud the club for their recruitment. Up until 2009, where one of the only clubs to hardly ever purchase players and especially not big name players. We got the spoon in 2008 because we couldn't bite the bullet and realise that in this day and age you have to buy players, especially when your ranks get hoarded and you have 20 players gone in the space of 3 years, most of them bred.

Thankfully we moved ahead in times when Greenberg took over at the end of 2008 and we've set the benchmark for recruitment.

Last edited:

juanfarkall

Coach
So if Newcastle lose Cameron Ciraldo and Joel Edwards but gain Jarryd Hayne, they must still be under the cap because they lost more players than they gained?

If each of those 3 were paid according to the effort put in whilst on the field, yes.

franklin2323

Immortal

This is what Bulldogs fans fail to realise. The fact that the likes of Holdsworth, Utai, Williams etc didn't get a contract after getting realised shows they were rubbish.

With the excemption of Lett all other signings they have had to compete with other clubs. I could prob believe ATM they are fine but not if you add Blair and Eastwood both IMO would ask for roughly $300k. I wouldn't want to get a spate of injuries as their wouldn't be much left for match payments to 2nd tier players

grandorient

Bench
In a word Timmah, No.

Good luck to the Doggies, especially after this year. I believe their recruitment has been pretty good and will be a force next year.

GO

Timmah

Staff member
This is what Bulldogs fans fail to realise. The fact that the likes of Holdsworth, Utai, Williams etc didn't get a contract after getting realised shows they were rubbish.

With the excemption of Lett all other signings they have had to compete with other clubs. I could prob believe ATM they are fine but not if you add Blair and Eastwood both IMO would ask for roughly $300k. I wouldn't want to get a spate of injuries as their wouldn't be much left for match payments to 2nd tier players

This is really what I don't understand. You can make as many assumptions as you damn well like based on random reports from random papers and people and do all this maths in your head which could be (and most likely IS) completely inaccurate.

It is also quite truly unbelievable that each time a set of facts is laid in front of you, you manage to find an excuse to continue to indict the club.

Latest posts