What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARLC Commission Changes

BranVan3000

Coach
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/b9f211864b443ec1d3a845f12e9c6a2d

NRL: Let’s talk about relocating teams, says QRL boss

Queensland Rugby League chair Bruce Hatcher has placed the rationalisation of Sydney clubs back on the agenda after urging the NRL to reignite the conversation about relocating teams to Adelaide and Perth.

Hatcher raised the issue at a meeting between the ARL Commission and club bosses in Sydney yesterday, reiterating his views to The Australian afterwards as he spoke about the prospect of teams moving before they fall into the financial abyss. Hatcher also revealed the QRL may relax their stance on constitutional reform by being open to having an independent representative on the commission rather than their chairman.

The more contentious issue is the view that some Sydney clubs are on borrowed time.

“I have a personal view that we do need geographic expansion,” Hatcher said. “Every analysis I have done indicates to me that two Sydney clubs could be relocated to say Perth and Adelaide, where they then straddle two markets.

“I did raise the question based on let’s start talking about, let’s start the conversation, don’t keep hiding behind it as if no club is going to relocate.

“I did raise it and I will keep raising it. The counter-punch was that we should have two clubs in Brisbane. I said not necessarily so.

“I think it is inevitable. You can argue all you like about how do you raise the point, but how can you argue against the facts, the realities.

“If it is not inevitable, I would worry about the survival of all those clubs.

“You have to worry about whether they can survive in a diminishing market, or are they prepared to be a bit adventurous, go to a new territory and not only use the advantages they have in that existing market, but open up a brand new market for themselves.

“If you don’t think big, you don’t go anywhere. To me that is strategic. It is thinking a bit beyond the square.”

More than half the clubs in Sydney currently operate at a loss despite receiving grants of more than $12 million from the NRL under the new broadcasting agreement.

Some of those clubs — Parramatta, Canterbury, the Sydney Roosters and Penrith — have the backing of affluent leagues clubs.

Manly rely on private ownership while Cronulla are projected to lose $4 million this year, leaving them to an extent at the mercy of the banks and private lenders.

The NRL has made it clear they will no longer prop up clubs who hit troubled financial waters.

The Australian understands that ARL Commission chairman Peter Beattie reiterated that point at yesterday’s meeting attended by club chief executives and chairs.

It is understood the commission has also ruled out expansion through the addition of new teams, meaning any move to add teams in Brisbane, Perth or Adelaide would have to come via current clubs relocating.

Adelaide and Perth have already shown an appetite for top-level rugby league and the commission will take State of Origin games to both cities over the next two years.

“Broader thought is we have two markets where there is significant activity going on,” Hatcher said. “We choose to go to those arkets with our best products. Why don’t we back it with some strategic thinking and start sewing the seeds for what we can do in the future.”

Along with South Sydney chairman Nick Pappas and Melbourne’s Bart Campbell, Hatcher attended a meeting with Beattie to discuss the issue of constitutional reform, which was put on the backburner last year when the states and clubs failed to agree on the way forward.

One of the key issues was the states’ demand that their chairs — Hatcher and George Peponis — be their representatives on the commission for at least an 18-month period.

It is understood the QRL is willing to revisit that position. That would mean either Hatcher standing down to join the commission or the QRL appointing a representative on their behalf.

Discussions are set to continue but the possibility of the QRL and NSW Rugby League revising their stance represents a significant change in the landscape.

“I know from a Queensland point of view, if we could be offered the opportunity to put our point of view, we would probably forego that,” Hatcher said.

“We think it is much more important to be in there leading the cases that we have for better funding of the grassroots, etc, than being outside the ring and thinking people are representing your interests.

“If you take my case, either I would have to resign as chairman of the QRL and it if were offered take the ARL Commission position, or I would stay as chairman of the QRL and the board would appoint someone independent to represent them.”

One of the other sticking points was the power of veto held by both the clubs and the states.

“That is one that needs to be robustly debated about what it really means,” Hatcher said.

“But if you have the right quality of people on that commission — and when I am talking about that I mean you have to have an understanding of the grassroots and the grassroots has to have a better understanding of NRL clubs so that you’re not getting duplication.

“As long as decisions are being made in the best interests of the whole game, I think everyone is a winner.”
No Queensland teams left in finals? Game in crisis!

johnny plath

Juniors
Interesting the QRL not sold on another Brisbane team, broncos influence in the qrl?
I doubt it.. Broncos and QRL historically haven't gotten on... Crushers was a QRL backed team, and Super league divided them even more. More a case of another team gutting the QRL comps like when Broncos came in in 1988. Like State governments, QRL just another layer of bureaucracy that could be dumped and worked around.

Big Salad

Juniors
I would guess it's more about strengthening the Sydney clubs & expansion areas first before weakening a team.

The idea of relocating a Sydney team has merit, depending on how far they want to go with it (e.g. the relocated team should perhaps be given a minimum number of away games in Sydney for their existing fan base, and a membership package to suit).

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I just can't buy the fact that the Broncos will be weaker with a Brisbane city rival in the NRL. The Adelaide and Perth clubs in the AFL are much better off for the rival team and those cities are both smaller than Brisbane and RL is just as big in Brisbane as AFL is in Perth and Adelaide.

Reactions: Vee

insert.pause

First Grade
Rumour to take place anytime in next 12 months;

Beattie, under threat of losing the chairman role to Vlandy's, will appoint Vlandy's as CEO, with Greenberg to "resign" due to personal reasons.

Dodgy

Juniors
I just can't buy the fact that the Broncos will be weaker with a Brisbane city rival in the NRL. The Adelaide and Perth clubs in the AFL are much better off for the rival team and those cities are both smaller than Brisbane and RL is just as big in Brisbane as AFL is in Perth and Adelaide.
I don't think you could just plonk another team in Brisbane unless there's substance to it. Port Adelaide and Fremantle have long histories in the local AFL comps.

Diesel

Referee
Haven’t heard this rumour but if true, anything to get rid of Greenberg has to be a good thing

Reactions: Vee

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

This rumor stinks of Politis, Peponis and there DT cronies.

The Nrl are in an impossible position. You could be the best administrator in the world but if you are continually undermined by management (club bosses) below you how are you expected to succeed? The clubs wanted transparency from the Nrl hierarchy and now they get that but then use it to undermine there leadership.

I feel this is all related to the announcement Beattie made a month or so ago about revisiting the structure of the commission. It seems there are some serious power plays happening.