What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARLC Commission Changes

This rumor stinks of Politis, Peponis and there DT cronies.

The Nrl are in an impossible position. You could be the best administrator in the world but if you are continually undermined by management (club bosses) below you how are you expected to succeed? The clubs wanted transparency from the Nrl hierarchy and now they get that but then use it to undermine there leadership.

I feel this is all related to the announcement Beattie made a month or so ago about revisiting the structure of the commission. It seems there are some serious power plays happening.

ROFLMAO. The DT hates the Roosters with a passion. If you think they're our cronies then you are completely deluded mate. They've hated us ever since we knocked back News Ltd on joining Super League in 1995.

Last edited:

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
ROFLMAO. The DT hates the Roostes with a passion. If you think they're our cronies then you are completely deluded mate. They've hated us ever since we knocked back News Ltd on joining Super League in 1995.

You could fool me. From the outside looking in it seems Politis has a spell on the dt journalists and some smh journalists to boot. Never a bad article. Politis and News Corp have a shared enemy it seems. Open your eyes

You could fool me. From the outside looking in it seems Politis has a spell on the dt journalists and some smh journalists to boot. Never a bad article. Politis and News Corp have a shared enemy it seems. Open your eyes

I don't need to "open my eyes" as they are open and I know a lot more about the inner workings of my football club than you do thanks mate. I also don't believe everything I read in the papers either, nor believe in the tooth fairy.

On a side note, News Ltd from time to time have written favourably about the ALP. Yet do you think News Ltd is buddies with the ALP? Das vidanya comrade :p

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I don't think you could just plonk another team in Brisbane unless there's substance to it. Port Adelaide and Fremantle have long histories in the local AFL comps.

It doesn't have to be a plastic team. I'm happy for a team with history to be promoted to the NRL or for an expansion bid team to revive an old BRL brand like Diehards.Either way, Brisbane 2 is a no-brainer.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It doesn't have to be a plastic team. I'm happy for a team with history to be promoted to the NRL or for an expansion bid team to revive an old BRL brand like Diehards.Either way, Brisbane 2 is a no-brainer.

He’s wrong anyway, dockers were not a wafl club and the two wafl Freo clubs still exist and play in the wafl and are in no way connected to the dockers!

Back on the commission, do we have an up to date list of commissioners and their backgrounds?

El Diablo

Post Whore

Perth Red

Post Whore
Todd getting some love. Long article but well worth a read of the full thing, excerpts below
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ho...ing-goals-under-pressure-20180925-p505ut.html

As in Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities, these are the best of times and the worst of times for rugby league. Under Greenberg's stewardship, the game's income is at a historic high, forecast to hit $530 million this year, rising from $400 million in 2017. More than half comes from broadcast rights – among its season-long output, the NRL provides four free-to-air TV programs (the three State of Origin fixtures and the NRL grand final) that are consistently among the top five rating programs nationally – while another $170 million comes mainly from sponsorship, merchandising, and ticket sales to major events.

And yet, just like the contrast between Thurston's night on the Gold Coast and a shivering second-rate affair in suburban Sydney, rugby league's health also conceals its ills. Participation numbers hide the fact that the traditional 13-a-side sport has stagnated at around 170,000 participants, with long-term decline in the key boys' 13-to-18 age group.

Todd Greenberg's job is to walk this tightrope between prosperity and anxiety, sparkle and underbelly.
Prosperity has not come without pain. Some of the game's most influential commentators have been gunning for Greenberg. In the days before the Gold Coast game, Paul Kent of the News Corp tabloids said Greenberg was "not fit for office" and "should resign" after not punishing the Cronulla player Andrew Fifita for a potty-mouthed podcast. Greenberg, according to Kent, is "not a leader" and a "jerk". A month ago, Kent said Greenberg "deliberately misleads the rugby league public" and is "embarrassing the game". His News Corp colleague at The Daily Telegraph, Phil Rothfield, has persistently called for Greenberg's head. Nine's Phil Gould (also general manager at Penrith Panthers) has called Greenberg's strategy to stem falling participation "an abject failure".

Greenberg absorbs the criticism. "It's an industry that fundamentally needs to create news," he says. "Those commentators are paid to create debate. We are confronted with decisions weekly that will be controversial and will upset a section of the community." Greenberg's unruffled response is, inevitably, also held against him. I have asked league people, on and off the record, to summarise Greenberg in one word. I ask him, "When people say, 'Todd Greenberg is a …', what word do you think they use?"
"Politician," he says.
Greenberg comes across as likeable and straight. But league people want to know where he intends to take the game in the next decade, and he gives an honest exposition of how he breaks his job down into "managing", "communicating" and "leading", and how his initial 24 months have been consumed by the first two. But the vision is still coming. When I ask about the legacy he wants to leave, Greenberg talks about "taking the game into new markets", making it safer through concussion protocols ("Some people said we were making it soft, but it's not soft, it's safe"), and the strength of the team working behind him at the NRL, but he never quite arrives at the legacy.

While Peter Beattie's ARLC has given Greenberg more independence, Greenberg's most persistent interrogator at board meetings is another member of the sports CEOs' club, Peter V'Landys, the head of Racing NSW. Appointed to the ARLC this year, V'Landys has been touted as a possible successor to Greenberg. (He refutes this, saying "my only ambition in league might be as chairman of the board when Peter goes.") But V'Landys admits to testing Greenberg's mettle.

"I'm probably the most outspoken in meetings and he gets more heat from me, but I'm being tough because when he goes out in public I want to make sure he's got all the bases covered." So far, Greenberg has met V'Landys' expectations. "I know he gets called a politician, but he's putting the NRL's side of the story and that's what he should be doing, defending the game.

There is a sense that Greenberg is a good fireman – which rugby league has always needed – and is excellent on the softer issues such as welfare and promotions, but still doesn't know where he wants to take the game.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Todd getting some love. Long article but well worth a read of the full thing, excerpts below
tenor.gif

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/3b4d7a63522d78b7c7c874bf5cef47ef

Peter Beattie anoints V’landys and Laing as successors

Peter Beattie isn’t prepared to put an end date on his time as chair of the ARL Commission but he has endorsed the claims of Peter V’landys, Amanda Laing and a third incoming commissioner to the throne as part of a succession plan for his departure.

Beattie also revealed plans for a two-day retreat in the Blue Mountains at the end of this month to strategise the game’s future would be turned into an annual event.

The Australian understands the commission has enlisted consultancy firm Colgan Bauer to address the meeting on the future of the broadcasting and digital landscape, both areas likely to have a significant impact on Beattie’s other baby, expansion.

Colgan Bauer’s website includes a reference from AFL chief Gillon McLachlan suggesting that their deals invariably start with a detailed analysis by the company. The director of broadcasting at the English Premier League Paul Molnar is also quoted saying they used the company to value their rights in the Indian market.

Their advice is seen as vital for the game as it begins planning for the next broadcasting deal and flow-ons from that, including the prospect of expansion into other states and potentially a second team in Brisbane.

Beattie may not be around to see that happen given he has always insisted he would not overstay his welcome. Some, it seems, would be happy for him to go now, although question marks hover over his potential replacements.

V’landys, the chief executive of Racing NSW, is one of the country’s smartest administrations — as evidence by the success of The Everest — but is seen by some as a divisive, particularly in the fallout from the controversial decision to use the Opera House to promote the horse race he founded.

Laing is conflicted by her role with Foxtel, which is likely to mean she will be forced to step aside when negotiations begin over the next broadcasting deal.

That makes the appointment of a new commissioner early next year potentially pivotal. It comes as Beattie talks to the clubs and states about changes to the constitution, including the possibility that the three-year stand-down period could be reduced or removed.

Under the current rules, club officials must resign from their affiliations and wait three years before they are eligible to join the commission.

Should that change, it would put a host of people with club DNA in the mix to join the commission and potentially become chair, chief among them South Sydney chair Nick Pappas, Sydney Roosters chair Nick Politis, Melbourne’s Bart Campbell and North Queensland powerbroker Laurence Lancini.

Beattie confirmed a third fresh face would be brought onto the commission early next year and he would like that person to be capable of filling the chair role.

“In my 12 months of living in Sydney I have slowly come to understand the NSW Rum Rebellion legacy which influences the city’s psychology but the game has made significant progress nevertheless,” Beattie said.

“There will be another change in the commissioners in February, 2019 but more on that next year. In the meantime it is sufficient to say the commission will have (three) potential future chairs which is a good thing.

“That is Peter, Amanda and next year’s appointment. I strongly believe in succession planning. Peter V’landys has publicly said he is interested in being chair.

“I have no problem with that as Peter knows. He would be a good chair as would the other two.I have not decided on how long I will stay. I have a number of things to achieve and when they are done I will go.”

Beattie again spoke about the importance of the meeting later this month given the changing landscape in the broadcasting market.

Rugby league is in a reasonable position given the sport’s ratings held firm this season but the commission wants to be prepared for the future — the current deal runs until the end of 2022.

“The future broadcasting and digital landscape — the game’s expansion and studying demographic changes and the future make up of the Australian population to target the game more effectively to future players are all on the agenda,” Beattie said.

“I believe engaging with fans is crucial by game administrators hence my use of Twitter. The world is changing. The game has to change as well.”

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/718d11d50057f2b6cefb2c1695ceaaf4

Dragons great Mark Coyne appointed to ARLC Commission

MICHAEL CARAYANNIS, The Daily Telegraph
November 1, 2018 5:47pm

FORMER St George captain and Queensland State of Origin hero Mark Coyne will join the Australian Rugby League Commission as part of another shake-up to the games executives.

Coyne will step onto the commission in February after Chris Sarra opted against seeking reappointment. Sarra was one of the original commissioners — appointed when the commission formed in 2012.

“I’m very excited to be joining the Commission and contributing to the game that has given me so much,” Coyne said.

Former Balmain player Wayne Pearce and Gary Weiss — who has been entrusted with crafting an investment plan for the game — have been reappointed for another three year term. Peter Beattie has had his chairmanship extended 12 months.

But the most interesting development is the arrival of Coyne onto the board. The 51-year-old has had a distinguished business career since his decorated playing stint ended in 1999.

Coyne, for the past seven years, has been chief executive of Employees Mutual Limited and before that he spent seven years as an Suncorp executive.

He had been slated as a leading candidate to replace outgoing St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust before ruling himself out of contention. There was a push for Coyne to join the commission as far back as 2012 when it was first formed.

He has also been mentioned in parts as a potential replacement for NRL boss Todd Greenberg but now Coyne could be earmarked for the biggest position in the game.

He enjoys close relations with a host of powerful Sydney clubs while Queensland fractions could also potentially back one of their own if Coyne wanted to make a tilt for the top job.

NRL club bosses were notified of the move yesterday afternoon following the ARLC commissioners’ two day Blue Mountains summit.

Coyne has maintained a close link with rugby league since retiring with 222 games for the Dragons, 19 games for Queensland and nine Tests. He served as a judiciary panel member for many years while he spent six years as chairman of the NRL and Rugby League Players Association education and welfare committee. He has also had a rolling role with the Queensland side during the past decade.

In 2016, he returned briefly to his former club as part of a four-person rugby league performance committee.

The arrival of Coyne completes a dramatic changing of the guard on the commission. Beattie is just one season into his chairmanship while Racing chief NSW Peter V’landys and media executive Amanda Laing only joined the board in March.

It is understood Beattie considers Coyne, Laing and V’Landys as viable options to replace him. Beattie has indicated he did not want to be in job as long as his predecessor John Grant who stepped away earlier this year after six years.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
He has also been mentioned in parts as a potential replacement for NRL boss Todd Greenberg but now Coyne could be earmarked for the biggest position in the game.

They say this about literally EVERYONE!!!!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It is understood Beattie considers Coyne, Laing and V’Landys as viable options to replace him. Beattie has indicated he did not want to be in job as long as his predecessor John Grant who stepped away earlier this year after six years.

Haha, Beatie is playing the media like a violin. "oh, i dont WANT to be chairman. I just NEED to do it now. But Im gonna pass it on just as soon as i can. Look at all of these other people you can gossip about".

Ten years later "Jeez, i am SO keen to give this job away. But they just NEED me soo much."

Its clever to brand himself as the unwilling participant just doing his duty. JGrant suffered from the image of being power hungry. Beatie, the media whore, knows how to work the system in his favour...

Reactions: Vee

AJB1102

First Grade
Hopefully Coyne knows the names off all the clubs unlike the twats before him

One was a NRL CEO who f**ked up a couple player's names. He was a Welsh banker not hired for his RL knowledge.

The other was head of the ARLC and apparently a lifelong RL man who f**ked up the names of 2 clubs in a comp of 16.

Grant was a parasite.

insert.pause

First Grade
Investment committee will include Weiss, Politis, Campbell & Morris.

Good move.

His appointment gives the commission an injection of rugby league nous and it is set to be augmented by the inclusion of some of the game’s most powerful figures on an investment committee charged with strengthening the game’s balance sheet.

It is understood Sydney Roosters chair Nick Politis, whose personal wealth was estimated at $1 billion last year, has been invited to join the committee. So too Melbourne Storm owner and chair Bart Campbell and Brisbane Broncos chair Karl Morris.

The trio are at the helm of three of the game’s most powerful clubs. They have also built successful careers of their own — Campbell is a former barrister in the High Court of New Zealand and more recently the non-executive chairman of TLA Worldwide while Morris is the executive chairman of Ord Minnett, one of the biggest stockbroking firms in Australia.

They, along with commissioner Gary Weiss, will be tasked with ensuring the game has some financial assets to its name when the existing broadcast deal finishes in 2022.

Chair Peter Beattie has made it one of his priorities and he will wisely lean on some of the most influential figures in clubland, led by Politis, Campbell and Morris.

Rugby league desperately craves what they have to offer. They are men who have made it their business to know their business.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...e/news-story/9072066bbd61374668feacf86cdedc79

El Diablo

Post Whore
It is understood Sydney Roosters chair Nick Politis, whose personal wealth was estimated at $1 billion last year, has been invited to join the committee. So too Melbourne Storm owner and chair Bart Campbell and Brisbane Broncos chair Karl Morris.

lol

more favours for his mates

siv

First Grade
Interested to see how the new ARLC investment committee will benefit the other 13 clubs or RL across Australia ?

Latest posts