What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARLC Commission Changes

insert.pause

First Grade
Interested to see how the new ARLC investment committee will benefit the other 13 clubs or RL across Australia ?
seriously?

It exists to make investment decisions on behalf of the ARLC, so the game will eventually have a few assets on its books that can secure the games financial future.

siv

First Grade
seriously?

It exists to make investment decisions on behalf of the ARLC, so the game will eventually have a few assets on its books that can secure the games financial future.

Concept is fine - but committee will find a way to benefit their clubs first everyone else second

Needs to have multiple independent investment strategy firms tabling offers/processes with a independant evaluator

Otherwise it becomes a potential 3pa loophole or a new offfield rule or process gets added that benefits these clubs

Perth Red

Post Whore
They’ve finally listened to what Dave Smith was telling them 6 years ago. Better late than never I suppose. Hopefully they don’t get into strife this time and end up spending it again.

King hit

Coach
Smith had no idea about the game and some of the downsides we see today are because of him. No biff, no shoulder charge and overpriced tickets driving people away from attending games are because of him. Do respect his stance to Murdoch though which I will give him credit for that.

King hit

Coach
Grant was a parasite.

I always found it hilarious how Queenslanders would go on about criticisim of him because he is a Queenslander and that's it.

No we don't criticise him because he is a Queenslander we bag him because he is a dumb merkin

Perth Red

Post Whore
Smith had no idea about the game and some of the downsides we see today are because of him. No biff, no shoulder charge and overpriced tickets driving people away from attending games are because of him. Do respect his stance to Murdoch though which I will give him credit for that.

Smith was a businessman and could see the need to transform the nrl from a bumbling old school sports org into a modern day business. He was ahead of his time and on a hiding to nothing with the games power brokers involved. Most of the things he wanted to make happen in 2013; shift away from reliance on Fox, future fund, investment fund, business transformation plan stadium improvements etc the arlc are finally realising they need to do. No one could accuse rugby league of ever being at the front of the change curve!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I always found it hilarious how Queenslanders would go on about criticisim of him because he is a Queenslander and that's it.

No we don't criticise him because he is a Queenslander we bag him because he is a dumb merkin

Only met him once in 2013 but found him very arrogant and unlikeable. The way he spoke to a room full of media and government people in Perth about no expansion plans was pretty dismal and must have had the people from the Govt, who had just invested $125mill in getting nib ready for nrl scratching their heads about who the f**k the nrl thought they were.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Only met him once in 2013 but found him very arrogant and unlikeable. The way he spoke to a room full of media and government people in Perth about no expansion plans was pretty dismal and must have had the people from the Govt, who had just invested $125mill in getting nib ready for nrl scratching their heads about who the f**k the nrl thought they were.

So better he should have lied in 2013 and told them expansion was just around the corner?

I’m sure that even back then you had heard enough empty promises..

El Diablo

Post Whore
Rubbish....you've swallowed the News Ltd line.

Hindsight has shown he was right with the TV rights. Right with his handling of the drug drama with Cronulla and right in his handling of the clubs and cracking down on their governance.

last time i checked Fairfax wasn't News Corp

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ar...cliffe-resign-from-panel-20170118-gttmx8.html

Fairfax Media has been told Samuel's disenchantment with rugby league decision-making began with the sale, by former chief executive, Dave Smith, of broadcasting rights to Channel Nine

AJB1102

First Grade
Smith was great for business. His head of football, the current CEO, let him down. If he had a competent RL person to handle RL stuff and leave the banker/business man to grow the wealth and business, with some merkins like Grant having the gumption to back him and not cower to Murdoch, RL in Australia would be better off now.

taipan

Referee
They’ve finally listened to what Dave Smith was telling them 6 years ago. Better late than never I suppose. Hopefully they don’t get into strife this time and end up spending it again.

Dave Smith held money back on a lower Tv deal, instead of spending decent amounts at grassroots level ..
He visited country areas in both NSW and Qld, so should have been fully aware of the problems regarding issues like insurance, junior player retention etc.

He certainly had no problem spending in areas of largesse.He could have still had some cash on hand ,if he had looked after the areas that needed it, and ditched the ones that didn't.

He had zero idea of the culture,mechanics of rugby league in this country, and it showed.

That's why a bloke like Mark Coyne IMO should be a future CEO of the game.

So far in the 21st century, we've had a cricket buff(Galllop),a Banker who follows union and a PR bloke who ran the ANZ stadium then at the Bulldogs.And we are still marking time.

AJB1102

First Grade
He had zero idea of the culture,mechanics of rugby league in this country, and it showed.

Yep, he tried to make and save money to benefit the entire game. The RL way is to piss it up the wall and let small but powerful sections of the game dictate which direction you piss in.

It certainly showed. As soon as NRL started to look like being truly independent and exploring options that didn't include News Ltd there was a bounty on his head and unfortunately Grant caved and handed Smith over.

Canard

Immortal

Can you find even one post that brings up this issue? I've never seen it mentioned at all.

taipan

Referee
Yep, he tried to make and save money to benefit the entire game. The RL way is to piss it up the wall and let small but powerful sections of the game dictate which direction you piss in.

It certainly showed. As soon as NRL started to look like being truly independent and exploring options that didn't include News Ltd there was a bounty on his head and unfortunately Grant caved and handed Smith over.

You don't save the game by neglecting grassroots.
Nothing wrong with saving money,I can save a lot more if my kids have toast and peanut butter for meals.It's what you do or don't do with it.

taipan

Referee
What formal quals does Coyne have out of interest?
What formal quals does Coyne have out of interest?

Sport;
222 games with the Dragons-St George & St George Illawarra.
6 Tests for Australia
19 State of origin games.

Business Career
Busines Management Degree
Was Exec GM of GIO National workers compensation Operations
Was Exec Managing director of Coal Services P/L Workers compensation for the coal industry.
Since 2012 CEO of Employees Mutual Ltd
Was a director of the NRMA
Was a director of the PCYC
Involved with a couple of charities
30 years experience in financial services sector al up with strategic & operational roles.

Taking the above into consideration think he is well qualified to fit the CEO 's bill ,should he be offered it, compared to the "Einsteins "we had prior.