What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ashes squad

Timbo

Staff member
Smith's omission is a bit of a surprise.

I know our batting was poor in India and we need to find depth but Smith's spot was never in question as he showed alot of ability to learn quick.

I would have thought the other spots needed to be filled, so why drop an in form batsman ?

Listening to the fossil talk I think Rogers got his spot based more on his form in County Cricket rather than Austrian First Class Cricket.

I'd be amazed if he got picked out of Austrian FC cricket Twiz!

Horrie Is God

First Grade
The side looks a hell of a lot better than the rabble they assembled for India..

I like the fact that we''l have about 30 players over there to choose from if this start going pear shaped..

I'm going to give them the benefit of doubt..

No Super Mitchy & Big Show is the most intelligent move they've made obviously..

Oh & Scissorhands hopefully being 2nd choice..

Timbo

Staff member
Harris has done his achillies in the IPL.

Will be fit for the Ashes but not a great sign.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he may be fit for the ashes but cant see him making it through the series

what worries me if we pick him, he breaks down mid test and we have another Adelaide test situation on our hands

BunniesMan

Immortal
If he has done his achilles he won't make the first ashes. He probably won't make the second ashes. A torn achilles is 6-9 months.

TheParraboy

Staff member
he may be fit for the ashes but cant see him making it through the series

what worries me if we pick him, he breaks down mid test and we have another Adelaide test situation on our hands

we will have sunshine in the side bowling again, so all is good...I think. Harris is worth the risk imo. plus on tour there is aleady starc, siddle, bird and pattinson. we could have 2 of them break down and we would be covered

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well Inverarity clearly stated that could add players at any time, with this knowledge (Harris), they should name another bowler so he can prepare himself.

I would reward good shield form and youth, so Mennie or Coulter-Nile. Not Johnson, Starc has the lefty spot.

aussies1st

Staff member
Too much of a risk for me, him breaking down mid test is a big worry. If we are 1-0 or 2-0 up then maybe but not the first one.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Clarke - obvious selection
Haddin - crazy, but he's not as shit as Wade
Bird - Good pick, should do well.
Cowan - meh
Faulkner - ok
Harris - pointless inclusion, will be injured no doubt.
Hughes - meh
Khawaja - needs to be in the XI ahead of Hughes
Lyon - not much other options, needs to tighten his line & length or he'll be belted.
Pattinson - good
Rogers - just f**king no.
Siddle - also needs to bowl tight
Starc - as above
Wade - as a bowler?
Warner - needs to score. Just like Cowan and Hughes, just too many mediocre performances that f**k our innings completely.
Watson - f**king sook, useless merkin with the bat, pea heart as a leader and brittle whinging bowler.

Red Bear

Referee
Clarke - obvious selection
Haddin - crazy, but he's not as shit as Wade
Bird - Good pick, should do well.
Cowan - meh
Faulkner - ok
Harris - pointless inclusion, will be injured no doubt.
Hughes - meh
Khawaja - needs to be in the XI ahead of Hughes
Lyon - not much other options, needs to tighten his line & length or he'll be belted.
Pattinson - good
Rogers - just f**king no.
Siddle - also needs to bowl tight
Starc - as above
Wade - as a bowler?
Warner - needs to score. Just like Cowan and Hughes, just too many mediocre performances that f**k our innings completely.
Watson - f**king sook, useless merkin with the bat, pea heart as a leader and brittle whinging bowler.
Harris took 19 wickets in three matches in the shield, and was a class above. We can take him with Siddle, Patto and Bird around because in the 2-3 tests he plays he'll be strong and we have cover for him.

Rogers has a better record than any other batsmen bar Clarke, and has scored 5000 runs in the last three country seasons, not to mention batting very well this season in the shield. Horses for courses selection. Having seen him bat in the shield against Starc, Bollinger and Hazlewood he looked comfortable and bats with the right attitude - values his wicket but ticks the strike over at a more than acceptable rate

These two and Haddin are short term selections, but it's the Ashes. The next ten tests are about winning, not about who will be good in 2017. It's the best squad we've come up with for some time, bar the keeping situation.

Timbo

Staff member
I'm going to say that should Rogers get selected for the first test he'll go on to be our leading run scorer in the Ashes.

African Monkey

First Grade
I'm going to say that should Rogers get selected for the first test he'll go on to be our leading run scorer in the Ashes.
People who have criticised his selection still haven't given reasons as to why he shouldn't be there.

If he fails then so be it, but no-one has been more deserving of selection in the side than Rogers.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/australia/pat-cummins-to-join-australia-a-squad-for-british-tour-but-wont-play-in-matches/story-fn2mcu3x-1226639387999#.UYx3WaJHI_s

Pat Cummins to join Australia A squad for British tour, but won't play in matches..

AAP May 10, 2013 1:50PM

Pat Cummins will join the likes of Brad Haddin and James Pattinson on Australia A's three-match tour of the UK, but won't feature in the Ashes tune-up.

The talented 20-year-old has not played since suffering an upper back strain during the Sydney Sixers' Twenty20 Champions League in October last year, but is slated to return in July.

To help achieve that goal, Cummins will join physiotherapist David Beakley and Centre of Excellence mentor Troy Cooley in the UK.

Australia A's campaign starts with a four-day match against Scotland on June 7, with Cummins not expected to take the field.

However Cricket Australia general manager Pat Howard noted there was a chance he could play in intra-squad and warm-up games alongside Haddin and six other members of the Ashes squad.

"Pat Cummins is not being added to the Australia A squad but rather continuing work on the areas identified in his customised program,'' Howard said.

"Depending on his continued progression, he may play in intra-squad and warm up matches if this is deemed appropriate based on his workloads but there is no intention for Pat to play in any of the tour games.

"The aim is to have Pat available and prepared for Australia A series in South Africa in July/August.''

The Australia A squad departs for the UK on May 25.