What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ashes Talk

Bazal

Post Whore
Neser is perfect for England, should be in the squad.

But if he's playing County cricket we can always call him up anyway

jargan83

Coach
Bazboundaries?

England is reportedly considering deploying short boundaries for the upcoming Ashes series to assist the team’s ‘Bazball’ strategy against Australia’s world-class bowling quartet.

Since Brendon McCullum was appointed head coach last year, England has won ten of their most recent 12 Tests with an aggressive brand of cricket, colloquially dubbed ‘Bazball’.

England, led by talented all-rounder Ben Stokes, has scored 4.76 runs per over since May last year, compared to 3.56 for Australia.

According to The Times, England has discussed using a small playing area for the five-Test series to help batters take down Australia’s bowling attack, which prides itself on consistency and accuracy.

England’s cricket venues are already considerably smaller than Australia’s — the shortest boundary at Edgbaston, which will host this year’s Ashes opener, is less than 60 metres, while the MCG’s longest boundary is approximately 84 metres.

The ICC’s Test playing conditions state that no boundary can be shorter than 59 metres from the centre of the pitch, while the boundary rope must be brought in between three and ten yards to create a safe run-off area for fielders.

undertaker

Coach
Bazboundaries?

Irrespective of Michael Clarke's point of whether both teams have to bat on the same grounds, I hope the ICC doesn't let England get away with this 59 metre boundary nonsense. This is a complete dumbing down and making a mockery of test cricket. Might as well make it under-12s cricket and bring the rope in even further!

Just as moronic as Stuart Broad's recent comment that the 2021/22 Ashes result doesn't count. He definitely wouldn't have said that if England won the series. Sore loser.

This is one of my biggest pet hates since I started watching cricket back in the mid '90s. Yes, I know we will never go back to the days of the fence being the boundary, despite the fact that more injuries via diving or jumping (the most recent being Kane Williamson) have occurred around the boundary rope compared to collision injuries with the fence from 20+ years ago.

However, boundary ropes (and subsequently, shortened distances from the pitch to the rope) have already been brought in further from the fence at most international venues over time since they became mandatory around 2001. For example, the ropes straight down the ground at Australian venues are now much more further in than the ICC minimum requirement of 3 yards from the advertising boards. Furthermore, the addition of LED advertising boards approx. a decade ago, and the rope has been brought in even further (e.g. Pavilion End at Lord's).

If anything, I want the ropes pushed as far back as possible, especially for test matches.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
I actually think that the way England have tried to change Test cricket is great. If you want to play that way and you accept that you're going to get literally blown away on a bad day, then cool. Anything that helps keep test cricket going is good IMO.

But I absolutely can't understand why they would throw away their home advantage in the Ashes. We stink in their conditions lately and preparing flat decks for Bazball instead of just normal English decks brings us right back into it. They literally don't even need to prepare raging green tops, a normal English deck will see us rolled for 120 more often than not.

Bazal

Post Whore
Neser took a hat trick overnight in the County Championship. Hooping it around corners.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Will be ditching foxtel soon. For those of you who have watched Ashes on Kayo or any other sport regularly is it ok?

Also I think ch7 have the rights to these 2023 ashes, will they be covering all sessions for all 5 tests?

Cheers

Fangs

Coach
Will be ditching foxtel soon. For those of you who have watched Ashes on Kayo or any other sport regularly is it ok?

Also I think ch7 have the rights to these 2023 ashes, will they be covering all sessions for all 5 tests?

Cheers

Its fine for me, just convenient having all the sport in one place. I don't even have the ariel plugged in anymore.

Some connection issues at times which are a pain in the arse but otherwise fine.

simmo1

First Grade

Cheers

Made the switch to Kayo last year and don't regret it at all.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Bald man talking like a man with hair:

I just hope Nathan remembers to take the ball before knocking the bails off this time.

So we're not listening to England brag we haven't won there for 20 years.

Cheers

Nine is covering the Ashes, 7 the World Test Champs final. Do we have a thread on this.

We ditched Foxtel last week as can no longer afford it.