What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asian World Cup Qualifiers

griffo346

First Grade
f*ck the all whites :lol: there useless and will never make the world cup

So as i understand

5 in each group

top 2 in each group r through to world cup

the 2 third places play off winner would play you would think New Zealand (does this mean winner of this game is in the world cup)

Misanthrope

Staff member

So as i understand

5 in each group

the 2 third places play off winner would play you would think New Zealand (does this mean winner of this game is in the world cup)

Yes, the winner of the AFC/OFC play off will claim one of two play-off spots (the other being between CONMEBOL and CONCACAF)

griffo346

First Grade
Now with that answered .....thanks Mainsthrope - who would we want in our group for the 2nd stage of WC Qual

Japan
Iraq/Qatar
Australia
Bahrain
Korea Republic
DPR Korea
Uzbekistan
Saudi Arabia
I.R.Iran
UAE

When will the 2 groups of 5 be drawn does anyone know

shiznit

Coach

So as i understand

5 in each group

:lol: so harsh... yet so true...

Misanthrope

Staff member
Japan
Iraq/Qatar
Australia
Bahrain
Korea Republic
DPR Korea
Uzbekistan
Saudi Arabia
I.R.Iran
UAE

When will the 2 groups of 5 be drawn does anyone know

Next month is the draw, I think.

As for our group. We can't get drawn with South Korea, as they're second. I posted mine a few pages back: DPR Korea, Bahrain, Japan, and UAE would be an ideal group. We have to get Japan or Saudi Arabia, and I'm less intimidated by the Japanese than I am by the Saudi strikers.

shiznit

Coach
Next month is the draw, I think.

As for our group. We can't get drawn with South Korea, as they're second. I posted mine a few pages back: DPR Korea, Bahrain, Japan, and UAE would be an ideal group. We have to get Japan or Saudi Arabia, and I'm less intimidated by the Japanese than I am by the Saudi strikers.
was it the saudi's a while ago that ended your guys WC qualifying in a heartbreaker.

i remember i watched that game and actually felt real sorry for you guys... i think you only just missed out...

Jimbo

Immortal
was it the saudi's a while ago that ended your guys WC qualifying in a heartbreaker.

i remember i watched that game and actually felt real sorry for you guys... i think you only just missed out...

You're probably talking about Iran back in '97

Two late goals at the MCG meant they went through on the away goals rule

Bumble

First Grade

Twas Iran.

The darkest day in Australian football history.

shiznit

Coach
well.... i reckin if it wasnt for moments like that you wouldnt have moments like 06WC. you appriciate it much more imo....

i still get pissed off when i think of that arsehole Racoba saying
uraguay had a right to be in the world cup....

Jimbo

Immortal
well.... i reckin if it wasnt for moments like that you wouldnt have moments like 06WC. you appriciate it much more imo....

Of course

That's why the Shire will shut down for three weeks when the Sharks finally bag a premiership

*cue a lame 'as if' joke...*

Misanthrope

Staff member
That's why the Shire will shut down for three weeks when the Sharks finally bag a premiership

*cue a lame 'as if' joke...*

Alright, I'll bite.

I think you'll find the Shire will shut down for eternity should Cronulla ever win a premiership. After all, a Cronulla premiership is one of the signs of the apocalypse.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
AUSTRALIA coach Pim Verbeek has challenged his supporting acts to step on to the big stage of a World Cup qualifier and prove they should be considered for the next and final round of qualifiers later this year.
As expected, Verbeek on Monday dispatched on holiday a rollcall of his bigger names after the team had secured qualification from the group with a 3-1 win in Qatar, with just Sunday's Sydney clash with China remaining in this phase.
With no merit attached to finishing first or second in Group A, the Socceroos' guaranteed progress has allowed Verbeek to release players such as Mark Bresciano, Vince Grella, two-goal hero Brett Emerton and Scott McDonald. Suspendees Mark Schwarzer, David Carney and Luke Wilkshire obviously join them and Lucas Neill will not be required to leave his new family.
Harry Kewell will definitely lead the side at ANZ Stadium as his search for a club continues, while of the Qatar starting XI, Jade North, Michael Beauchamp, Carl Valeri and Brett Holman remain.
Alongside them, Verbeek will give opportunities to players who have missed out on first-team action, including Mile Jedinak, Archie Thompson and, if fit, goalkeeper Michael Petkovic.
Chris Coyne, who made his debut against Iraq, will also hope to add another cap, though it is unlikely he will take the left-back spot vacated by Carney. Australian Olympic team member Nikolai Topor-Stanley is the obvious choice.
"I was very pleased with the performance (against Qatar)," Verbeek said. "I think the boys did a great job in difficult conditions.
"We're going to keep some players here because we're going to win, we like to win. We'd like to finish with 13 points after the six games.
"A lot of tickets have been sold so we want to show the fans that we really are the best team in this group."
He added the game would also showcase a lot of promising youngsters who deserve their chance because they did well in training camp.
Verbeek confirmed Kewell will be captain but refused to speculate beyond about the armband - though he did float the prospect of a pool of captains.
"(Harry) has the respect of all of the players," Verbeek said. "I'm very happy with Harry as a captain and also on the field and outside the field.
"I read an article about (Portugal coach Luiz Felipe) Scolari - he has five captains and I think that's a good idea.
"Lucas Neill was the (first) captain because we didn't know how it was going to go with Harry and I'm very happy with Lucas. I also think Mark Schwarzer did a good job organising the central defenders. So I'm very happy I have experienced players who have leader qualities."
Three players - Kewell, Holman and Valeri - will be walking a tightrope against China as they have all been booked once in the group stage and if they incur another caution on Sunday, would be suspended from the first game in the next round.
Individual yellow cards are expunged at the end of the group stage but any suspensions carry over.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23874292-5014539,00.html

Roos sweat on luck of the draw

By Tom Smithies
June 17, 2008 EIGHT of the 10 spots in the final round of Asian qualifying for South Africa 2010 have now been filled, leaving Australia, ranked first in the region in FIFA's latest rankings, facing some potentially intimidating trips depending on the draw.
As well as the Socceroos, South Korea, Iran, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, North Korea and Uzbekistan are all assured of a place, and the final two positions come down to effective shootouts.
In Australia's group, Iraq play Qatar in Dubai on Sunday with the winner advancing, although a draw would also be good enough for the Asian Champions. Elsewhere Syria must defeat UAE by three goals or more in order to leapfrog their Gulf rivals into the next round.
How the actual draw will be made remains open to question beyond separating the 10 teams into two groups of five, the only certainty being that as No.1 and No.2 seeds, Australia and South Korea won't be grouped together.
There is, as the opaque rules stand now, no apparent reward for finishing first rather than second.
Each group will feature four home and four away games per team, with the top two from each group qualifying directly for the World Cup, and the third ranked team in each group playing off first with each other, and then the winner with the top team from the Oceania qualifiers. The irony, should that be Australia facing, say New Zealand, would be limitless.
The dates for the games start on September 6 and climax with three games next June, though with 10 match dates, each team will have a bye on two of them.
The draw takes place on Friday June 27, at 7pm (EST).

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23874293-5014539,00.html

Misanthrope

Staff member
Australian squad for the game against China. Good to see guys like Spiranovic, David Williams, and Kilkenny getting a chance.

Michael Beauchamp, Ante Covic, Bruce Djite, James Holland, Mile Jedinak, Harry Kewell, Neil Kilkenny, Stuart Musialik, Jade North, Michael Petkovic, Kristian Sarkies, Matthew Spiranovic, Nikolai Topor-Stanley, James Troisi, Carl Valeri, Rodrigo Vargas, David Williams, Ruben Zadkovich.

Dutchy

Immortal
David Williams must be making a huge impression on the wing for Manly to get this call up :sarcasm:

fish eel

Immortal
Australian squad for the game against China. Good to see guys like Spiranovic, David Williams, and Kilkenny getting a chance.

Michael Beauchamp, Ante Covic, Bruce Djite, James Holland, Mile Jedinak, Harry Kewell, Neil Kilkenny, Stuart Musialik, Jade North, Michael Petkovic, Kristian Sarkies, Matthew Spiranovic, Nikolai Topor-Stanley, James Troisi, Carl Valeri, Rodrigo Vargas, David Williams, Ruben Zadkovich.

close to the olyroos, tbh.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
The only thing I dislike about Pim are:

a) He won't play Nicky Carle
b) He thinks Petkovic is better than Covic
c) He won't put Griffo in his squad

That squad looks pretty good though - no Holman :D