What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asotasi given permission to negotiate

James_Hardie

Juniors
jayman said:
no bidding war for parra this yr... either u want to come or u dont.. and playing with the likes of hindy eric tahu riddell PJ moi moi jamie if he comes, and under hagan... should be incentive enough...

While the idea of playing with some of the players you listed above might work as a smaller enticer, I don't see Hagan as a draw card for many players. Hagan would have been able to entice more players to Newcastle when he had Johns you would think, but could not.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
I didn't think we'd even chase him, let alone be a chance for Asotasi. Get rid of Cayless if money is a problem, we need a prop like Asotasi who actually goes foward.

Utey

Coach
James_Hardie said:
While the idea of playing with some of the players you listed above might work as a smaller enticer, I don't see Hagan as a draw card for many players. Hagan would have been able to entice more players to Newcastle when he had Johns you would think, but could not.

Hmmm thats a good point. But they seem to build teams around Johns.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Not only is he aggressive and a fantastic prop, but he can offload at will - imagine...Just imagine..All the people...Who would benefit from an Asotasi hit-up and offload..

:cool:

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
newcastle have rarely entered the player market under Hagan....

Can anyone name five big name signings at Newcastle since their inception? Hagan himself, Brian Carney and Kennedy would be about it. Lee Jackson might be considered a big name.

Stagger eel

Staff member
they've always been a club who's traditionaly looked to it's nursery or backyard for talent, they arguebly have one of the strongest competions in the CRL, and rarely look outside their area for upcoming talent.

since 97 they've in the 8 in all but a couple of seasons and won the comp twice, they never really needed to buy anyone.

Bigfella

Coach
Why rumour threads are unreliable:

I have heard on good authority he will be an Eel next year. The only stumbling block is how much the Eels want to pay him.

then:

even though he does want to play for the eels the fact he has been offered so much money from England is the reason we will probably not get him.

Mate would you happen to see any inconsistencies in your two contributions to this thread?

Gronk

Staff member
The Colonel said:
Can anyone name five big name signings at Newcastle since their inception? Hagan himself, Brian Carney and Kennedy would be about it. Lee Jackson might be considered a big name.

Kirk Reynoldson wouldn't have come cheap.

The Colonel

Immortal
Gronk said:
Kirk Reynoldson wouldn't have come cheap.

Hardly a "big" name outside of length and given how long he has been out injured I think they paid overs. Still it is 18 years and outside of low level signings they haven't really been active.

lucablight

First Grade
Asotasi single handedly carried the Dogs pack last year. I would love to see him at the Eels but with our current luck I'm not too optimistic.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm not expecting him to be at Parra but I am expecting us to make a big play for him.

James_Hardie

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Hardly a "big" name outside of length and given how long he has been out injured I think they paid overs. Still it is 18 years and outside of low level signings they haven't really been active.

You could probably argue they weren't at their peak, but they have also bought guys like:

Jamie Ainscough
Steve Linnane
Russell Richardson
Neil Piccinelli

They haven't bought much over the years, but the question should probably be asked why? Because it is a dud policy. If he comes to Parra relying soley on our juniors, we won't win anything in a hurry (not that we have won much lately)....

The Colonel

Immortal
James_Hardie said:
You could probably argue they weren't at their peak, but they have also bought guys like:

Jamie Ainscough
Steve Linnane
Russell Richardson
Neil Piccinelli

They haven't bought much over the years, but the question should probably be asked why? Because it is a dud policy. If he comes to Parra relying soley on our juniors, we won't win anything in a hurry (not that we have won much lately)....

True but a player like Ainscough established himself at Newcastle after to ok years at Wests.

It isn't a great policy but they haven't had to look at many players outside of their own backyard and it has netted them two premierships. From conversations I have had it doesn't seem to be a policy he is adopting though at Parramatta.. ;-)

Angry_eel

First Grade
James_Hardie said:
i agree, i think hagan tends to rely on juniors rather than buying players.