What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asotasi leads mutiny against Kemble

Jesbass

First Grade
ozbash said:
ok, ive heard rumbling about benny since the All Golds but didnt actually think they were all that serious.

maybe they wernt serious then but things could have esculated somewhat since roy came out with his statement..
It does seem odd that ridgey says lowe is talking crap and they should approach bennett asap.

Was thinking about this this arvo and came up with a list of potential kiwi coaches in order of my priority

bennett
chris anderson
bluey
daniel anderson
graham norton
sean McCrae
ivan cleary
graham lowe !!
kempy

One to add with a long term view, (as in, establish himself in first grade, be a Kiwis assistant, then take the to job), would be Stephen Kearney.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Jesbass said:
One to add with a long term view, (as in, establish himself in first grade, be a Kiwis assistant, then take the to job), would be Stephen Kearney.

Yeah Kearney came to mind for me as well. He's certainly getting a good grounding in coaching at Melbourne and he's been there himself plenty of times as a player.

ozbash

Referee
New Zealand Rugby League chairman Ray Haffenden has refused to guarantee the position of beleaguered Kiwis coach Gary Kemble.

After a tumultuous week during which Kiwis captain Roy Asotasi and former skipper David Kidwell declared New Zealand's World Cup hopes nil under Kemble, suspicion is growing that today's NZRL board meeting may signal the end for the coach.

Wayne Bennett's role with the Kiwis will be discussed today, and with Asotasi and Kidwell claiming their dramatic revolt had the support of senior players, Kemble may be asked to step aside for Bennett to take the top job.

Kemble is in Sydney for crisis talks with "senior" Kiwis players, but with Asotasi and Kidwell flying to the United States with the South Sydney team, there are few players that fit that category.

Kemble is not speaking and Haffenden said yesterday that he had not had any feedback on how the talks were progressing.

Presumably Kemble is attempting to gain the support of superstars Sonny Bill Williams and Benji Marshall, who were not on the disastrous European tour - something Haffenden couldn't confirm.

"I have had none [feedback from Kemble] at all," Haffenden said.

"I had hope we'd have something before then [board meeting] or during then or at the end of the day."

Haffenden said Kemble would remain in Sydney for "as long as it takes".

Graham Lowe's position at the NZRL would also be discussed today, though Haffenden was confused as to where rumours that Lowe was about to be sacked had come from.

"I don't know where that came from, that is not even important. Graham at this point in time is our football manager," he said.

"That's up to the board to talk about and decide on."

Haffenden had said earlier this week that Kemble was "100 per cent" safe as the Kiwis' World Cup coach, but asked yesterday whether that still applied, said: "I'm not prepared to talk about that [Kemble's job security] because that is an internal thing.

"A number of issues will be raised [at the board meeting] I'm sure and the structure of the Kiwis will be one of them.

"We're still in the review process I guess in terms of what Gary comes up with in his review."

Lowe, who led the tour review and recommended the board reappoint Kemble, had not consulted Kiwis players for their opinions.

Haffenden admitted Kemble may not have any new information for the board today.

The chairman has conceded that widespread dissatisfaction among Kiwis players would force him to reconsider Kemble's position but "I don't make decisions on my own, it's through the board and I don't think there's a number [of upset players] that can be stipulated.

"We've got concerns over what's happened this week but the main concern is that players went against what I'd told them and went their own way.

"If there's other people involved [in the revolt] maybe that will come through in Gary's review."

Haffenden admitted that Asotasi and Kidwell were proud Kiwis who wanted success at the World Cup.

"They felt they were doing the right thing, and to be fair to them that's what people do.

"I pointed out to them the errors of their ways in terms of where we are and what we're trying to do and I'm sure they took that on board."

stuff

Skinner

Coach
f**k, I wish they would make their minds up. They reappointed him FFS.

He's not right for the job, but jeez, I'm starting to feel sorry for him.

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
Hey just a thought, if Benett becomes coach of the kiwis do you think he might get Tonie Caroll in the team considering Caroll has just come out saying you wont see him in a Queensland Jersey again

Rich102

Staff member
Skinner said:
f**k, I wish they would make their minds up. They reappointed him FFS.

He's not right for the job, but jeez, I'm starting to feel sorry for him.

I know where you're coming from but isn't there more to the kiwi coach's job than just having people feel sorry for him?

Micistm

Bench
This leaves me with little confidence at all that the correct decision will be made either way. What a shambles and a disgrace. If the situation wasn't so serious for the National game, it would be LOL funny. But its just so obvious from the past week, and again through the Week leading up to Bluey leaving, that simply the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing in NZRL management. They are just shoddy and amatuer, can't really put it much plainer than that. If I was Kemble I quite frankly wouldn't want the ****ing job. I just can't see the game getting anywhere in NZ until things change big time:(

Skinner

Coach
Rich102 said:
I know where you're coming from but isn't there more to the kiwi coach's job than just having people feel sorry for him?

Of course there bloody well is, but this thing has reached a farce of the proportions
that the Greeks would be proud of.

He is now simply a pawn in a a very poor chess game and is going to be the loser in
the whole thing.

ozbash

Referee
doogiehowser_md said:
Hey just a thought, if Benett becomes coach of the kiwis do you think he might get Tonie Caroll in the team considering Caroll has just come out saying you wont see him in a Queensland Jersey again

Carroll ?

you taking the piss or what, doogs :lol:

Rich102

Staff member
Skinner said:
Of course there bloody well is, but this thing has reached a farce of the proportions
that the Greeks would be proud of.

He is now simply a pawn in a a very poor chess game and is going to be the loser in
the whole thing.

He won't be the only one! What about the Kiwi supporters? The Kiwi players? All league supporters everywhere?

It would just about be easier to start again.

(By the way, are you still in the Great Southern land?)

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
doogiehowser_md said:

NO ******* WAY

That turncoat prick shat on the Kiwi jersey. If he came back to it i would be done for good

Jesbass

First Grade
Beavers Headgear said:
NO ******* WAY

That turncoat prick shat on the Kiwi jersey. If he came back to it i would be done for good

Ironic that he gets called a turncoat when he's always considered himself an Australian...

The fact that he's a proud Aussie is why he won't be in the side. A bit of an absurd suggestion, really.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Jesbass said:
Ironic that he gets called a turncoat when he's always considered himself an Australian...

The fact that he's a proud Aussie is why he won't be in the side. A bit of an absurd suggestion, really.

Well, if the wanker has always considered himself Australian why the hell did he have no problem taking the kiwi jersey then ?

He used the Kiwi jersey for his own personal gain, and discarded it straight away when he decided to go back to Oz

Micistm

Bench
Yep, the Carroll incident is one often forgotten yet should be rammed down Aussies throats as much as the underarm! ;-)

Just saw Ray with Stanaway on TV1 sports...oh God, I'm sorry, but the NZRL are just looking dumber and dumber. It's embarrassing how ****ing ameteur they come across.
And so the residency rule is gone? So why the **** was it so important to keep it there last year?! Pathetic. Yeah, pure emotion, and when the teams playing I'll cheer them on as always...but I just want this management BS fixed properly.

Carroll for NZ coach? ;-)

Jesbass

First Grade
ozbash said:
you mean, a bit like karmichael, jess ?

Almost like Karmichael, Bash. The only difference was that he took the black and white jersey knowing that he could go back to the green and gold.

Brad Thorn, on the other hand, is a different story entirely. ;-)

Jesbass

First Grade
Beavers Headgear said:
Well, if the wanker has always considered himself Australian why the hell did he have no problem taking the kiwi jersey then ?

He used the Kiwi jersey for his own personal gain, and discarded it straight away when he decided to go back to Oz

Because, after failing to make the Kangaroo squad, the RLIF made special dispensation that fringe Kangaroo aspirants could play for minnows who they were also eligible for. (New Zealand was still considered a minnow back then.) So Carroll played for New Zealand, Campion played for Ireland, and so on.

I'm amazed people have such short memories. Carroll was already Queensland rep at State of Origin level. It was clear from the outset that he was going to represent Australia later on if he got the chance.

I'm sure if any current State of Origin player who misses out on Kangaroo selection was to say "let me play for New Zealand in the World Cup" would have doubts cast about his patriotism for this country.

And yes, he used the jersey for his own personal gain.

Jesbass

First Grade
Micistm said:
Yep, the Carroll incident is one often forgotten yet should be rammed down Aussies throats as much as the underarm! ;-)

Just saw Ray with Stanaway on TV1 sports...oh God, I'm sorry, but the NZRL are just looking dumber and dumber. It's embarrassing how ****ing ameteur they come across.
And so the residency rule is gone? So why the **** was it so important to keep it there last year?! Pathetic. Yeah, pure emotion, and when the teams playing I'll cheer them on as always...but I just want this management BS fixed properly.

Carroll for NZ coach? ;-)

I only caught the back end of that interview, but I didn't think railroading Ray was a good look for the game. Plus, Stanaway saying something like "Bennett is last week's news" wasn't a good look, either.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Jesbass said:
Because, after failing to make the Kangaroo squad, the RLIF made special dispensation that fringe Kangaroo aspirants could play for minnows who they were also eligible for. (New Zealand was still considered a minnow back then.) So Carroll played for New Zealand, Campion played for Ireland, and so on.

I'm amazed people have such short memories. Carroll was already Queensland rep at State of Origin level. It was clear from the outset that he was going to represent Australia later on if he got the chance.

I'm sure if any current State of Origin player who misses out on Kangaroo selection was to say "let me play for New Zealand in the World Cup" would have doubts cast about his patriotism for this country.

And yes, he used the jersey for his own personal gain.

I don't have a short memory at all, i know exactly how things were done, and regardless, i still find him a wanker

he sprouted all this crap about being proud to wear the jersey etc, absolute rubbish. Were also murmurings that NZ would be his country from that point on

He turned down NZ many times which was fair enough, then used this opportunity to take our jersey, and then wiped his arse with it when he returned to Australia.

Also on another point, how could NZ be considered minnows in 1999/2000 when we had trounced GB on numerous occasions and taken wins against Australia in 97 98 and 99

Latest posts