What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asotasi leads mutiny against Kemble

Micistm

Bench
I'll always have the '05 Tri series games to watch on DVD and remember though- Bootlegs of course- as no one in the NZRL is savvy enough to produce an official one and make money ;-)

ozbash

Referee
well, after just watching Kidwell and co on tvnz i reckon the battle lines have been drawn.

we'll see just who is bluffing.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
mean_maori_mean said:
Warriors frown upon NZRL and have done so for some time - we all know that, not just to do with the recent debacles but probably more to do with the dodgy dealings of pokies, pubs and fraudsters who have been running it

Ah sweet mate, wasn't sure whether theyr were cozy or not. I should have guessed that being a professionally run club (not that thats alwys been the case before the last two seasons!) the Warriors wouldn't have much truck with the NZRL rabble.

I honestly wonder if NZ League wouldn't be better off if we just f**ked the NZRL off entirely and got the NRL or even the ARL to administer the game in NZ.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
da mad maori said:
Its a meeting to change the residency rule bro. They have to change it to bring Wayne Bennet on board

And hopefully once they sort that out, they'll give themselves a mighty uppercut for not getting rid of Lowe.

Over the next few days we will find that Lowe tenure with the NZRL and kiwis have been severed, not sure whether he got fired or resigned.

Heard rumours he has linked up with an nrl club:

Im guessing:
Lowe -> most likely manly board or something similar

After watching Kidwell on the radio - was quite sad - Kidwell along with Cayless is the probably most respected players amongst both senior and junior kiwis.

Funny thing - he wasnt even really on tour.
Also what senior players is he talking about - kiwis dont really have any senior players - other than a fit kidwell and nathan cayless - all other like Whatuira wont likely play again in a black jersey.

Regardless of what happens - Asotasi will not be the captain - Most probably SBW, possibly with Cayless and Kidwell as Vice captains.

Also lol at papers suggestion that Mannering is a possible next captain.

Also laugh at the possibility of players switching alleigances to tonga and samoa -> show them the door.

Firstly no chance any of them can play in World cup - second of all some of them will never play again after a little incidence.

I think there is a little bit of that "sydney arrogance" rubbing off on some of these players - and it is evident.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Beavers Headgear said:
**** them

After hearing Kidwell, for the 1st time in my life i am over the Kiwis

Bring on the cricket and Manly

well if my mail is true you might find that with manly you have just inherited Graham Lowe at some capacity.

Please enjoy as a kiwi fan we will rather have him in the form of book excerpts and bootlegged dvds of classic games.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
If he has linked up with manly again, i won't be too worried tbh. The people running the joint now are very shrewd with their plans and have been pretty successful since gaining control of the place

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Different kind of Rabbit said:
This is great news for Samoa and Tonga. How long before half the New Zealand squad decide that all this sh!t is too much to handle? If something is not done about this quickly, you will find that a lot of players will just go back to their roots. Under dual eligibility, most of the NZ team can play for Samoa or Tonga as well.

If NZRL don't get their act together, they could well find that they will have a vastly reduced number of players to choose from.

back to their roots - well most are going to back to their roots by playing for New Zealand.

More than anything they should be playing for australia if not the kiwis.

Other than say Inu - they have any player willing to switch alleigance - and they can wait around for four years to play games.

Cant see SBW switching thats for sure - not when he likely the next captain.

If they cant handle it - give up then - we dont want players who cant handle it if things dont go the right way off-field.

Regardless of what happens with the coach - Asotasi should get dropped and they should straight up ask if players want to play for the kiwis.

A squad full of australiafied kiwis and getting an aussie to coach us - why dont we just call ourselfves Australia B.

They just need some hard ass in there. Somebody who is not overawed.

Also of note:
who ever is involed with kiwis P.R - needs to be fired - how do they allow both kemble and lowe etc talk up about the idea about the possibility of Bennett coaching

Do we think Asotasi would come up with it himself??? I think not.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
ozbash said:
well, after just watching Kidwell and co on tvnz i reckon the battle lines have been drawn.

we'll see just who is bluffing.

NZRL wont bluff - probably other than Asotasi, SBW and inu the rest of the 'senior' players barely command a spot in the team.

And with the amount of young kiwis in the NRL

Players like Rangi Chase, Issac Luke, Bronson Harrison, Daniela, Teo etc etc will all take a jersey thrown their way.

Also they can play for Tonga or samoa regardless.

Apart of me actually wants them to re-allign to tonga or samoa.

ozbash

Referee
Regardless of what happens with the coach - Asotasi should get dropped and they should straight up ask if players want to play for the kiwis.

I think we should be grateful to Asotasi. He put his balls on the block knowing full well that his career with the kiwis was on the line.

If he hadnt, it would have been more of the same...

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
The problem i have Oz, is how much control do we give the players on this stuff

Lets say they get their way this time, Bennett hops on board, everything is rosey for a year or 2, but then the hard taskmaster comes out, Roy and Kidwell for example are out of form and there are some young kids playing pretty well, and Bennett casts them aside. Does Roy come out again with threats of boycotts from his mates in the side when things aren't going their way. That concerns me a bit.

Lossy

Juniors
Beavers Headgear said:
The problem i have Oz, is how much control do we give the players on this stuff

Lets say they get their way this time, Bennett hops on board, everything is rosey for a year or 2, but then the hard taskmaster comes out, Roy and Kidwell for example are out of form and there are some young kids playing pretty well, and Bennett casts them aside. Does Roy come out again with threats of boycotts from his mates in the side when things aren't going their way. That concerns me a bit.

I see your point, BH, and agree on the worrisome aspect. But, if Asotasi and Kidwell came out dissing someone who has one of the best coaching records in the modern era and who the same players have given wraps to the way they have Kemble - who even Lowe admitted wasn't up to it - they'd be laughed out of town.

Skinner

Coach
From Stuff :

http://stuff.co.nz/4359515a1823.html

Kiwis coach Gary Kemble has flown to Sydney in a rushed bid to regain the support of his senior players.

After trenchant criticism of the national coach from senior players Roy Asotasi and David Kidwell, Kemble made a last-minute booking to cross the Tasman yesterday and meet with other Sydney-based Kiwis.

But NZRL chairman Ray Haffenden said the trip wasn't Kemble bending to player power, and nor was an impending offer to Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett to join the Kiwis' coaching staff - both had simply been brought forward by Asotasi and Kidwell's comments.

"It was always on the cards. All we have done is brought forward and escalated plans we already had in place," said Haffenden, while admitting Kemble had left so quickly he hadn't informed his chairman of how long he would be away.

"Gary was always going to go to Australia as part of his job, and Wayne Bennett was always in the picture."

Haffenden said he had called Asotasi and Kidwell to spell out "the trouble they had caused us", saying the pair had "jumped the gun".

"If they had given us a week everything would have been clear," he said. "We had been working behind the scenes on things for some time ... they jumped the gun."

The NZRL's board meeting tomorrow is likely to formulate a formal offer to Bennett, who has already talked with Haffenden and was in talks with his predecessor, Andrew Chalmers.

Haffenden said it was now "only a matter of signing off with him where he fits into the picture" and while the board meeting will confirm Bennett's exact title, it is likely to see Kemble, in reality if not in name, downgraded.

The board was also due to hear a plan from Kemble which involved a more relaxed programme of visits to his overseas players than yesterday's hurried flight. Asked about how Kemble's agenda would now change, Haffenden said: "It is up to Gary - he is his own man - how he approaches the players and what he talks about."

Some league figures fear the player backlash could make it difficult to secure player releases for the Centenary Test against Australia in Sydney in May, the Kiwis' next scheduled outing.

Kemble won't be able to talk to either Asotasi or Kidwell or their South Sydney and Kiwis teammate David Fa'alogo as the Rabbitohs left yesterday for the US, where they are playing a pre-season trial against English champions Leeds in Jacksonville, Florida.

And other players may offer a difficult reception. Asotasi and Kidwell appear to have widespread support among members of Kemble's touring party to Britain.

While still very critical of Asotasi and Kidwell's decisions to go to the media, Haffenden last night backed away from an earlier statement that Asotasi's role as captain was now "untenable".

"It was a personal statement, maybe I shouldn't have made it and maybe it was a rash statement ... but player power is untenable."

He said his conversations with Asotasi had been conference calls which also involved Kidwell in which he explained "confidential plans" he hoped had assuaged their problems. After Asotasi spoke out, he rang back to "spell out the problems he had caused us".

What a f**king waste of time Gary.

You need to be talking to the players reps - Asotasi and Kidwell.

Don't try to sneak over and talk to other players, in a silly attempt to turn this into one group of players vs another. They wont back you mate.

Rich102

Staff member
Skinner said:
From Stuff :

http://stuff.co.nz/4359515a1823.html

Kiwis coach Gary Kemble has flown to Sydney in a rushed bid to regain the support of his senior players.

After trenchant criticism of the national coach from senior players Roy Asotasi and David Kidwell, Kemble made a last-minute booking to cross the Tasman yesterday and meet with other Sydney-based Kiwis.

But NZRL chairman Ray Haffenden said the trip wasn't Kemble bending to player power, and nor was an impending offer to Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett to join the Kiwis' coaching staff - both had simply been brought forward by Asotasi and Kidwell's comments.

"It was always on the cards. All we have done is brought forward and escalated plans we already had in place," said Haffenden, while admitting Kemble had left so quickly he hadn't informed his chairman of how long he would be away.

"Gary was always going to go to Australia as part of his job, and Wayne Bennett was always in the picture."

Haffenden said he had called Asotasi and Kidwell to spell out "the trouble they had caused us", saying the pair had "jumped the gun".

"If they had given us a week everything would have been clear," he said. "We had been working behind the scenes on things for some time ... they jumped the gun."

The NZRL's board meeting tomorrow is likely to formulate a formal offer to Bennett, who has already talked with Haffenden and was in talks with his predecessor, Andrew Chalmers.

Haffenden said it was now "only a matter of signing off with him where he fits into the picture" and while the board meeting will confirm Bennett's exact title, it is likely to see Kemble, in reality if not in name, downgraded.

The board was also due to hear a plan from Kemble which involved a more relaxed programme of visits to his overseas players than yesterday's hurried flight. Asked about how Kemble's agenda would now change, Haffenden said: "It is up to Gary - he is his own man - how he approaches the players and what he talks about."

Some league figures fear the player backlash could make it difficult to secure player releases for the Centenary Test against Australia in Sydney in May, the Kiwis' next scheduled outing.

Kemble won't be able to talk to either Asotasi or Kidwell or their South Sydney and Kiwis teammate David Fa'alogo as the Rabbitohs left yesterday for the US, where they are playing a pre-season trial against English champions Leeds in Jacksonville, Florida.

And other players may offer a difficult reception. Asotasi and Kidwell appear to have widespread support among members of Kemble's touring party to Britain.

While still very critical of Asotasi and Kidwell's decisions to go to the media, Haffenden last night backed away from an earlier statement that Asotasi's role as captain was now "untenable".

"It was a personal statement, maybe I shouldn't have made it and maybe it was a rash statement ... but player power is untenable."

He said his conversations with Asotasi had been conference calls which also involved Kidwell in which he explained "confidential plans" he hoped had assuaged their problems. After Asotasi spoke out, he rang back to "spell out the problems he had caused us".

Very interesting. But wasn't the interview on TV1 with Kidwell and Asotasi done from Sydney airport as they left for the USA with the Rabbits? Could be an example of Kemble's super planning.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Mixmasterreece said:
What a f**king waste of time Gary.

You need to be talking to the players reps - Asotasi and Kidwell.

Don't try to sneak over and talk to other players, in a silly attempt to turn this into one group of players vs another. They wont back you mate.

Who says their the players reps??

More importantly which players??? Again there were very little kiwis involved in this tour who will rightfully not get picked again and other which will do it very tough.

players like moimoi perhaps should have never been selected because of their laize attitude towards the kiwis - if any other have this attitude they can watch the world cup on t.v.

He needs to sort this crap out - Again why did Asotasi do this now - a month or two after they have re-selected the coach????

Regardless Bennett was always going to be featured -> but does everyone realise selecting Bennett creates as many problems as it solves.

Also its a good idea - because its likely he is going to be involved at coaching at some capacity

Also while criticism towards Asotasi from lowe was out of line and stupid -> I think a senior ex-kiwi or coach should take a shot at their perfomances on tour of some of the players
-> ask ex-kiwis there has been some teams who have basically coached themselves and none who have played that awful.

remember asotasi when on about having the best players and wanting the best coach. etc
I think that team was so out of form etc -> they wouldnt have won any games if they had a ledgenary coach - not lombardi, phil jackson or even mr myiagi.

Rich102

Staff member
I personally don't think the criticism of Roy for speaking out is justified.
I think he did what he did simply because there was no other way to get the information out to the public. He saw that nothing was going to change and that meant a real towelling in the World Cup. As captain he stood up and spoke his mind.
Now if the NZRL board had listened to the captain and recieved his feedback in a positive way maybe this wouldn't have happened.
What can be taken from the fact that the players seem to want Bennett as coach and not Bluey?
It will be an interesting meeting on Friday. I hope, for the sake of the game, DMM predictions come true. Goodbye Gary, Goodbye Graham, Hello Wayne.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
ozbash said:

I think we should be grateful to Asotasi. He put his balls on the block knowing full well that his career with the kiwis was on the line.

If he hadnt, it would have been more of the same...

Would it really?? Im not grateful -> because either way it has not helped has it??

Trust me the developments with Bennett were already underway -> All this has done is create more tension with players and management.

Shown how some players are flaxy.

Perhaps we should be grateful b'coz no somebody else will be made captain.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Rich102 said:
I personally don't think the criticism of Roy for speaking out is justified.
I think he did what he did simply because there was no other way to get the information out to the public. He saw that nothing was going to change and that meant a real towelling in the World Cup. As captain he stood up and spoke his mind.
Now if the NZRL board had listened to the captain and recieved his feedback in a positive way maybe this wouldn't have happened.
What can be taken from the fact that the players seem to want Bennett as coach and not Bluey?
It will be an interesting meeting on Friday. I hope, for the sake of the game, DMM predictions come true. Goodbye Gary, Goodbye Graham, Hello Wayne.

Get information out to the public - I think everybody all knew aswell as the NZRL board.

In terms of bringing in Wayne Bennett - its not easy we all know he is the most demanding coach in the NRL and it aint going to be easy to accomodate him.

Also while some of them all want to bring in bennett - have any really been coached under him other than Eastwood - one good spirited game dont count.

You all should be grateful for what Roy has done. If he didn't come out and make a statement, then nothing changes and no one talks about a thing. Now that its in the media and people are talking about the situation it puts pressure on the NZRL to smarten up their act.