What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Assistant Coach and other info

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Yeah after the year we just had having one or two successful trainings where the boys are being flogged like roman soilders is like winning 2pts on the weekend.

Pretty sad the club has had to go into media overdrive promoting the fact we are finally catching up to other NRL clubs and having a proper coaching structure. Its great news don't get me wrong but makes you wonder.

What do you want then mate..

I actually find that the media ..at least keep all those fans keen to find out what the team is up to.

there are people that actually care about that ...ALSO at least 1 of the 10 or so points are actually being implemented lol.

Well actually not all clubs have a similar structure.
Did anybody catch Dave Furners video on the raiders website.
Furner ...sacked Morgan, Mcfadden resigned.
He had too quickly sign the 20s coach and has like one other staff member lol

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Is anyone else already sick of hearing about the Warriors' pre season training???

Shut up and get on with it! I don't want to see them again until next year.

It's hard to hear about much more until they get into pre-season matches in Feb...and I'd much rather here something than nothing. The Warriors aren't sending out press releases espousing the brilliance of their work, it's the media going to training and writing stories. And that's what I want them to do. If I choose to read it, I can. If I don't, I won't. Democracy at its finest. But it's got nothing to do with the Warriors talking themselves up.

Rich102

Staff member
Andrew Duneman will be named as an assiatant to Matt Elliott. He did well with the Raiders NYC.

Blake Asyford is on the verge of signing. He wants to stay with the Tigers but the Tigers are after a more experiece player. They (being the tigers) are making a big play for Folau and also ongoing negotations with Michael Jennings.

Trent Hodgkinson is also on his way to the Warriors. Will be very surprised if this is not announced before the end of the Weekend.

If I get anymore good oil I will post

Good Day

o/3. Not a good record.

Iafeta

Referee
I'm certainly not in staggering bewilderment that there's been articles in the past week or so. Firstly, the same articles are basically re-populated year in year out. Secondly, one team city with stories that fill space and sell - would seem logical media strat to keep going to the well year in year out. Thirdly, you can cut through the "its the toughest I've ever had" talk and get to one of Matt Elliott's comments - usually this time of year people are talking up the second coming of JC, but in one of the articles he freely admits its too soon to comment. Seems firstly he doesn't want to talk it up too quickly and secondly if anything seems he'd be keen to concentrate on his job preparing the side.

Good to see McFadden at the club. Canberra seemed to rate the guy and he seemed to have done a good job with the younger blokes too. The coaching team does seem Canberra v2.0, but in fairness, Elliott did Canberra to the finals regularly, it was more when they got there that they imploded. Hopefully he overcome part two if part one can be achieved.

Rich102

Staff member
I presume Ackland has been re-appointed for the Juniors?
Wonder who will get the Vulcan's job. Is that an ARL appointment?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'm certainly not in staggering bewilderment that there's been articles in the past week or so. Firstly, the same articles are basically re-populated year in year out. Secondly, one team city with stories that fill space and sell - would seem logical media strat to keep going to the well year in year out. Thirdly, you can cut through the "its the toughest I've ever had" talk and get to one of Matt Elliott's comments - usually this time of year people are talking up the second coming of JC, but in one of the articles he freely admits its too soon to comment. Seems firstly he doesn't want to talk it up too quickly and secondly if anything seems he'd be keen to concentrate on his job preparing the side.

Good to see McFadden at the club. Canberra seemed to rate the guy and he seemed to have done a good job with the younger blokes too. The coaching team does seem Canberra v2.0, but in fairness, Elliott did Canberra to the finals regularly, it was more when they got there that they imploded. Hopefully he overcome part two if part one can be achieved.

And Elliott apparently was concerned with our attitude in the first day of pre-season. Sounds like it wasn't that we were unfit, just weren't prepared to bar up like he thought we would. Fat too early to read anything into but not exactly glowing.

One Warrior

Bench
Warriors have added Stacey Jones in a full time coaching and development role, a good move in my opinion, hopefully now he can give up Instant Finance ads.

Jones back to guide Warriors' halves
By Michael Burgess
5:30 AM Sunday Nov 11, 2012

Elliott was heavily involved in getting Stacey Jones on board. Photo / File
The 'Little General' is back at the Warriors, this time as one of Matt Elliott's key lieutenants.

Stacey Jones, the most decorated player in the Auckland club's history, is returning, this time in a full-time coaching and recruitment role.

One of his principal roles will be as halves coach, not just for the first grade squad but teams across the club. He will also be club development coach and will be heavily involved in the new Auckland schoolboy 1st XIII competition, a joint venture between the Auckland Rugby League and the Warriors.

"We couldn't be happier having someone of Stacey's standing returning to the club," said Warriors general manager football operations Dean Bell.

"Following on from Ruben Wiki's appointment a week ago, Stacey is also keen to pursue his future as a coach and this is an ideal opportunity for him to develop.

"Besides key responsibilities in recruitment and coaching in our development system, having our halves throughout the club mentored by one of the game's greatest halfbacks is hugely exciting."

Elliott was heavily involved in getting the 36-year-old Jones on board and it is a smart move. Jones adds impetus to the Warriors' brains trust and additional local flavour to the coaching staff, balanced alongside Elliott and Andrew McFadden. He also appeals as mentor for Shaun Johnson, who struggled with the demands of the playmaking role last season.

Jones had a club record 12 seasons as a player at Mt Smart (1995-2005 and 2009) plus another as part-time kicking coach in 2008. Over the past three seasons, he has been involved in a coaching capacity with the Point Chevalier Pirates and also employed as the ARL's football development officer.

"To now have a full-time job like this back at the Warriors is perfect," said Jones.

"There are so many good things going on with the club at the moment.

"I can't wait to be involved again with the new football staff and the new direction."

Bell said Jones would take over as development coach from Willie Swann, who becomes Junior Warriors assistant coach alongside John Ackland. Jones will also manage the club's pathways for all players.

"This is an area of the role which Matt places special value on in terms of his vision for the club," said Bell.

"It will see Stacey having the responsibility of ensuring all our young players progress to the different levels of the game at the appropriate stage of their development."

Stacey Jones

NRL career: 261 games* (1995-2005, 2009)

NRL points: 674* (77 tries, 176 goals, 14 field goals)

Test career: 46 tests (1995-2006)

Test points: 160 (16 tries, 47 goals, 2 field goals).

* Club records

By Michael Burgess

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10846565

ozbash

Referee
Desperate PR exercise ?

My all time favourite player is going to fall on his arse.

What has Stace got to offer Shaun Johnson ?

One Warrior

Bench
Desperate PR exercise ?

My all time favourite player is going to fall on his arse.

What has Stace got to offer Shaun Johnson ?

I struggle to see how you find having our best ever player involved in the club on a full-time basis a bad thing, I believe it can only be a good thing, much the same as I would if Steve Price was involved in a permanent full-time role.

playdaball

Bench
Stacey = halves coach ...

what position did McFadden play?

Stacey will progress up the ladder failrly fast I'd suggest.

Willie Swann was also a half too.

Iafeta

Referee
lol @ ozbash. These damn PR conspiracy theories of yours. Keep to shlacking cow teets bash, there's nothing wrong with adding Stacey into the club, getting more involved in the high school scene, and promoting Willie Swann who I hear has gone quite well.