What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attendances

Tigers1986

Juniors
Old balance between commercial outcome and creating perception of games popularity. If they’d halved the ticket prices would we have got double these crowds? Highly unlikely.

Given it’s poor northerners they could have done some geographical bundling options maybe?

same old blow outs don’t help either, lot of money to watch australia thrash someone.

likely to still be the third best attended World Cup in world sport. Not bad considering how small the game is.
Why single out Australia? Many top nations capable of blowouts, heck even Ireland put a thrashing on Jamaica.

I think this current one was the one initially given to the USA, wasn't it?

... or was it meant to be the next one?
USA was 2025, but they withdrew hosting rights due to difficulties, so it reopened for tenure which France won.

-----------------------------------------

Seems to me that ticket pricing is one factor, as is the off-field extras to make it feel like a special event. Non-major nations could still attract a good following (Greece for example) but it needs to be enticing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hogan did admit, however, that he was underwhelmed and disappointed with the crowd that attended New Zealand v Lebanon in Warrington on Sunday, with under 6,000 spectators at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.
https://www.letsbemates.com.au/mate...F6BFA8f_6qVwF1R9N5Axiu_5iCJ1VQoncjvx96R8Z_2AQ
He said: “The fixtures at Kingston Park and Headingley were either above or on forecast, but I’m sure I speak for everyone about the disappointment of the New Zealand v Lebanon fixture at Warrington. It was a great game, we had the No 1 ranked side in New Zealand, a world-famous coach in Michael Cheika and affordable tickets available."
Hogan also shared positive news on the financial front - with this World Cup already the highest-grossing competition of all-time for ticket sales, with 55 matches still to go.
“This year’s tournament has now generated over £1m more than the 2013 total in ticket sales," he said. "There are still 56 matches to sell so we’re only just getting started.”

Gobsmacked

Bench
Hogan did admit, however, that he was underwhelmed and disappointed with the crowd that attended New Zealand v Lebanon in Warrington on Sunday, with under 6,000 spectators at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.
https://www.letsbemates.com.au/mate...F6BFA8f_6qVwF1R9N5Axiu_5iCJ1VQoncjvx96R8Z_2AQ
He said: “The fixtures at Kingston Park and Headingley were either above or on forecast, but I’m sure I speak for everyone about the disappointment of the New Zealand v Lebanon fixture at Warrington. It was a great game, we had the No 1 ranked side in New Zealand, a world-famous coach in Michael Cheika and affordable tickets available."
Hogan also shared positive news on the financial front - with this World Cup already the highest-grossing competition of all-time for ticket sales, with 55 matches still to go.
“This year’s tournament has now generated over £1m more than the 2013 total in ticket sales," he said. "There are still 56 matches to sell so we’re only just getting started.”

Wow. The international scene starting to become a financial success!
The best parts still to come too. Exciting times for international Rugby league.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I`m a little confused with this ` 55 matches to go ` line. Surely the current ticket sales and revenue from those games is already included in the "1m pound more " figure.
I`m assuming he means that any extra tickets sales revenue from those games will only push the revenue advantage ahead further. It will be interesting to see how much further ahead.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I`m a little confused with this ` 55 matches to go ` line. Surely the current ticket sales and revenue from those games is already included in the "1m pound more " figure.
I`m assuming he means that any extra tickets sales revenue from those games will only push the revenue advantage ahead further. It will be interesting to see how much further ahead.
Yeh on the day gate takings and online sales from this day forward I’d suggest. Just need England to make the finals convincingly to rake it in for semi and final Ticket sales!

yakstorm

First Grade
Agree, looks better than France v Greece earlier in the week which is encouraging (although LSV is slightly smaller than Doncaster)

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

Crowds​

England Men (60) v Samoa Men (6)
Sun 16 Oct 12:30AM at St. James Park, Newcastle (Crowd: 43119)
Australia Men (42) v Fiji Men (8)
Sun 16 Oct 5:30AM at Headingley Stadium, Leeds (Crowd: 13366)

Scotland Men (4) v Italy Men (28)
Mon 17 Oct 12:30AM at Kingston Park, Newcastle (Crowd: 6206)
Jamaica Men (2) v Ireland Men (48)
Mon 17 Oct 3:00AM at Headingley Stadium, Leeds (Crowd: 6320)
New Zealand Men (34) v Lebanon Men (12)
Mon 17 Oct 5:30AM at Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington (Crowd: 5453)

France Men (34) v Greece Men (12)
Tue 18 Oct 5:30AM at Eco-Power Stadium, Doncaster (Crowd: 4182)

Tonga Men (24) v Papua New Guinea Men (18)
Wed 19 Oct 5:30AM at Totally Wicked Stadium, St Helens (Crowd: 10409)

Wales Men (12) v Cook Islands Men (18)
Thu 20 Oct 5:30AM at Leigh Sports Village Stadium, Leigh (Crowd: 6188)

Week 1 aggregate: 95,243

Week 1 match average: 11,905

Western_Eel

Juniors
the levels of engagement on the socials looks pretty good,
we should probably make a TV ratings thread to keep track of that along the way too.

Steve Davy

Juniors
Hopefully there's no repeat of 2000 where there were crowds of about 1,000. Mind you some of the venues back then were played in Non league cities like Dublin, Edinburgh, Belfast, Reading.
A game was played in Oxford 2000, I was playing for the league club there and did not find out until after it was over. There were also huge strorms. Everything is far, far better this time. And, 5,000 crowds are pretty damn good against reasonable expectations.

Latest posts