What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attendances

yakstorm

First Grade
Leeds crowd was a bit underwhelming, however not surprising. With another match at Headingley today, plus playing on the same day as the opener was always going to make it a harder sell.

So we're at a very solid 56,485 after the first day of action.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Gus has a strange hatred of the International game. Did he ever get a International jersey when he played? If not then it explains his bitterness toward Test football

The same blokes in the media seem to snub the International game and want everyone to play Origin. :rolleyes:

Great crowd for the first game, pity about the result but take nothing away from England's performance

Perth Red

Post Whore
Brilliant opening crowd. Who’d have thought we could get over 40k in a non RL city for an opening game not against australia? A few years ago it would have seemed impossible.
hopefully englands big win against a favoured Samoa side will peak interest even more.
wtf happened with the opening ceremony? Another billy idol moment lol

morningstar

Juniors
Calling bullshit on 350k pre sales before tournament start.

Somethings very fishy here. Halliwell Jones is empty for NZ game after getting 15k for the corresponding fixture in 2013.

Northern

Juniors
The crowds at Leeds & Warrington look very poor. I went to Leeds last night. £70 for a seat. Too expensive for a group game. Looking at these attendances I think the game tomorrow will look shocking for France v Greece.

Northern

Juniors
While I’m here, the website is awful. For games where it says low availability or medium availability, it would be good to understand their definition of availability. It’s such a shame. Couple of guys pulled out of last night’s game due to price. We tried to get 4 of the £55 seats together but website said no. Looked to be plenty of empty seats at the ground. I realise pricing was set last year in better economic conditions but surely better to have set lower prices and give stadiums a better look.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors

Somethings very fishy here. Halliwell Jones is empty for NZ game after getting 15k for the corresponding fixture in 2013.
6k at Scotland vs Italy....and it didn't like much at all for Jamaica vs Ireland...pre match said they were expecting 5k for NZ vs Lebanon

yakstorm

First Grade
Scotland v Italy - 6,206
Ireland v Jamaica - 6,320

NZ v Lebanon looks like it will only be 4 figures as well, which is possibly the most disappointing... you want the top seeds being able to draw 5 figure crowds.

yakstorm

First Grade

The 350K comment was across the Men's, Women's & Wheelchair tournaments, so you're talking 31 Men's games, 7 Women's events and 8 Wheelchair.

Take out the 35K for the opener (at the time), 50K for the Final, 23K for France v England and 10K for the first Women's double header (118K), it brings that down to only 5K avg per match for the rest (and even less assuming the England v Greece, QF & SF have sold more than 5K).

So I can believe it to a point (hopefully they weren't doubling any double header crowds), but yeah it's concerning some of these other matches aren't generating any momentum.

yakstorm

First Grade
Rolling total is now 74,464 after two days of action. Still got 3 more games for the round, hopefully will get us close to 90K.

KingstonDD

Juniors
Doesn’t help that Headingley had two games on consecutive days.

I love international rl but there’s a lot of mis-matched fixtures where the cheapest ticket is £30/40. No way I was paying that to watch Ireland v Jamaica.

Northern

Juniors

I love international rl but there’s a lot of mis-matched fixtures where the cheapest ticket is £30/40. No way I was paying that to watch Ireland v Jamaica.
Totally agree.

Billythekid

First Grade
This feels like the story of every RLWC, crowds are always talked up as expected to be much bigger and then end up disappointing somewhat.

Yeah I know we don’t want to devalue the game but we have to be realistic. Much better to have those games priced extremely cheaply to make for a better TV atmosphere.

morningstar

Juniors
The 350K comment was across the Men's, Women's & Wheelchair tournaments, so you're talking 31 Men's games, 7 Women's events and 8 Wheelchair.

Take out the 35K for the opener (at the time), 50K for the Final, 23K for France v England and 10K for the first Women's double header (118K), it brings that down to only 5K avg per match for the rest (and even less assuming the England v Greece, QF & SF have sold more than 5K).

So I can believe it to a point (hopefully they weren't doubling any double header crowds), but yeah it's concerning some of these other matches aren't generating any momentum.

Get your playing Devil’s advocate Yak, but you’d have to think outside of the big sellers they spruiked pre tournament (Final, Bolton, Women’s opener, Men’s opener) most of those pre sales would be for the first round. And the crowds to date aren’t reflecting that.

Let’s agree they sold 350k pre tournament, take away:-

Final - 50k
Mens’ Opener - 35k
Bolton - 23k
Women’s Opener - 10k
Say 75% of other 4 games played so far - 23.5k
Wheelchair - 10k

That’s 198k pre sale tickets to account for. I’m getting major 2000/2017 vibes.

yakstorm

First Grade
Get your playing Devil’s advocate Yak, but you’d have to think outside of the big sellers they spruiked pre tournament (Final, Bolton, Women’s opener, Men’s opener) most of those pre sales would be for the first round. And the crowds to date aren’t reflecting that.

Let’s agree they sold 350k pre tournament, take away:-

Final - 50k
Mens’ Opener - 35k
Bolton - 23k
Women’s Opener - 10k
Say 75% of other 4 games played so far - 23.5k
Wheelchair - 10k

That’s 198k pre sale tickets to account for. I’m getting major 2000/2017 vibes.
I'd like to say playing Devils, though there is certainly an element of trying to convince myself that surely we have learnt from our past mistakes and aren't repeating them (predominantly the exaggerating sales publicly)

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Th
This feels like the story of every RLWC, crowds are always talked up as expected to be much bigger and then end up disappointing somewhat.

Yeah I know we don’t want to devalue the game but we have to be realistic. Much better to have those games priced extremely cheaply to make for a better TV atmosphere.

The organisers have made the decision to make as much money from the tournament in order to fund the international game for the coming years before the next world cup.