What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attendances

Gobsmacked

Bench
Lebanon have been developing for the last 22 years....look at the talent they are producing...2 local players in their squad and only one has played....so much development going on that they brought Recce Robinson back from
Lebanon have been developing for the last 22 years....look at the talent they are producing...2 local players in their squad and only one has played....so much development going on that they brought Recce Robinson back from where.?
I think you're lost

Northern

Juniors
I was talking to friend at game last night. The one-sidedness of the matches, in the main, so far have doubtless led to the lower attendances, coupled with pricing and a website for tickets a few suspicions have been raised around.
It made us think ho
Whoops… made us think how great it would be to resurrect something like the four nations, could be expanded to 6(?) in the years between world cups or for a series mid way through the World Cup programme.

wain

Juniors
It
Haha wow can't have an opnion.....how is in whinging? I didnt even bring rugby into this conversation....someone else did. All I was highlighting was the lack of competitive games has an effect on who turns up compared to the rugby spring tours...

Everything I have said is based off facts....there has been little change in 22 years for Rugby League World Cups....nearly half the nation's are all heritage based and i would argue many of the players haven't even set foot in their country of representation.

Looking at the responses on social media for today's England game shows the many with same opinion about a waste of time....and that's from League fans on social media 🙄

Look at the massive crowd watch Australia literally run straight through an Australian based Italian team? Would love to see the massive TV ratings for this game....I'm sure it will very through the roof....I mean 3 world cups In a row for Italy now...I'm sure they would have developed by now? Yip 66-6 mauling.

Keep living the fantasy that this average tournament will do anything for the game....in the last four World Cups have achieved nothing in terms of nations development....nothing....its who ever has the most heritage based players that generally qualify....
Its worth noting though that we’ve done away with the super pool this World Cup. That has kept the big 3 away from minnows in previous years. If those teams had met previously, I think scores would have been worse…so to say there’s been no improvement isn’t accurate. I think the opening round which matched up a top 2 from each pool was on par with quality of previous QFs.

as for heritage players, you’ve probably got a point. tho, I do feel league tends to get picked on in that regard. In a time when people in different sports are critical of big countries pilfering other countries for players, I reckon this WC has gone the other way with players returning to their roots. Obv the best players are going to be found in Aus or Eng due to the domestic comps Strength.

as long as we keep developing those nations locally, and including some domestic layers in squads, then I think it’s still a positive.

Wb1234

Referee
Haha wow can't have an opnion.....how is in whinging? I didnt even bring rugby into this conversation....someone else did. All I was highlighting was the lack of competitive games has an effect on who turns up compared to the rugby spring tours...

Everything I have said is based off facts....there has been little change in 22 years for Rugby League World Cups....nearly half the nation's are all heritage based and i would argue many of the players haven't even set foot in their country of representation.

Looking at the responses on social media for today's England game shows the many with same opinion about a waste of time....and that's from League fans on social media 🙄

Look at the massive crowd watch Australia literally run straight through an Australian based Italian team? Would love to see the massive TV ratings for this game....I'm sure it will very through the roof....I mean 3 world cups In a row for Italy now...I'm sure they would have developed by now? Yip 66-6 mauling.

Keep living the fantasy that this average tournament will do anything for the game....in the last four World Cups have achieved nothing in terms of nations development....nothing....its who ever has the most heritage based players that generally qualify....
There has been little change in rlwc?

lmao

the rise of Tonga and the other pacific nations such that rugby league is now probably number one didn’t catch your notice ?

tonga beat aus recently

png defeated gb

Last edited:

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Since the last RLWC, how many players from Tonga have come through? I only know of one from the Warriors who was on a rugby contract in NZ initially before the warriors signed him.

How many Test matches has Tonga played in Tonga since 2017? Yet everyone celebrates the fact Tonga beat NZ, GB and Aus once each....

Picking Kiwi and Australian born players with tongan heritage (like they have done since 1995) is not improvement. In 8-10 years when this crop all retire, there will be nothing to back fill. Similar situation to Wales from 2000 RLWC.

PNG on the other hand are developing their talent through the Hunters and establishment of schoolboy competitions. To be fair though, PNG have always been a Rugby League developing nation that never relied on the heritage rule like the majority of the Pacific nations. Fiji and PNG are the only pacific nations outside NZ and Australia that are developing players.

How long NZ continues to develop players is unknown as the game is on life support here and nearly dead in most regions.

There is no incentive to develop your own players to qualify for a RLWC. Scotland, Ireland, Italy, Lebanon, Samoa, Tonga, and Cook Islands are proof of this.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Since the last RLWC, how many players from Tonga have come through? I only know of one from the Warriors who was on a rugby contract in NZ initially before the warriors signed him.

How many Test matches has Tonga played in Tonga since 2017? Yet everyone celebrates the fact Tonga beat NZ, GB and Aus once each....

Picking Kiwi and Australian born players with tongan heritage (like they have done since 1995) is not improvement. In 8-10 years when this crop all retire, there will be nothing to back fill. Similar situation to Wales from 2000 RLWC.

PNG on the other hand are developing their talent through the Hunters and establishment of schoolboy competitions. To be fair though, PNG have always been a Rugby League developing nation that never relied on the heritage rule like the majority of the Pacific nations. Fiji and PNG are the only pacific nations outside NZ and Australia that are developing players.

How long NZ continues to develop players is unknown as the game is on life support here and nearly dead in most regions.

There is no incentive to develop your own players to qualify for a RLWC. Scotland, Ireland, Italy, Lebanon, Samoa, Tonga, and Cook Islands are proof of this.
New Zealand has the best roster ever assembled and thier best odds of winning a world cup. Yet all this pessimism from kiwileaguefan ?
Obviously a troll.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Look I’ve loved seeing international league back ! It’s been fantastic, these tournaments are so important to generate interest, the smaller nations need this to aspire too.
Do we need more money given to these developing nations ? Yes of course, the heritage players will eventually dry up.

you can’t play domestic players and then complain about blow out score lines. We need some serious effort in developing these countries in Europe, kids need real pathways to professional careers.

people complaining, what’s the answer ? Just lock away these nations with nothing to aspire too ? The game is growing a lot at the amateur level, I’m seeing more countries then ever with domestic leagues. We just don’t have enough money or professional leagues around the world yet.

the crowds have been fine, the comp will make money, great tv numbers which I’ll argue are more important, tv deals bring in the money, look at the nrl, let’s be honest leagues a better TV sport.

stop being the typical dumbass league fan and not having any vision for the sport long term, it’s easy just to winge like a loser, but no one wants to hear you complain without solutions and just being miserable in general lol.
Enjoy the world of league on display, it’s a celebration.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Look I’ve loved seeing international league back ! It’s been fantastic, these tournaments are so important to generate interest, the smaller nations need this to aspire too.
Do we need more money given to these developing nations ? Yes of course, the heritage players will eventually dry up.

you can’t play domestic players and then complain about blow out score lines. We need some serious effort in developing these countries in Europe, kids need real pathways to professional careers.

people complaining, what’s the answer ? Just lock away these nations with nothing to aspire too ? The game is growing a lot at the amateur level, I’m seeing more countries then ever with domestic leagues. We just don’t have enough money or professional leagues around the world yet.

the crowds have been fine, the comp will make money, great tv numbers which I’ll argue are more important, tv deals bring in the money, look at the nrl, let’s be honest leagues a better TV sport.

stop being the typical dumbass league fan and not having any vision for the sport long term, it’s easy just to winge like a loser, but no one wants to hear you complain without solutions and just being miserable in general lol.
Enjoy the world of league on display, it’s a celebration.
Well said.
"A rugby league celebration "
That's what it is!
The WC was only been brought back since 2008 as a celebration for 100 years of league after previously being abandoned!
And now we're in position where there's no chance it'll be abandoned again! It's settled as a regular fixture and will only get stronger as we've seen.
People who are carrying on about the gap between the minnows and the big guns not closing quickly enough?
It took Australia 114 years to get to this standard- that won't be closed in 10 or 20 or 30 years. It will take a very long time but a regular comp with exposure and revenue is the best we can hope for and that is exactly what we have 🤘

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
I'm not a troll...I live and breathe rugby league In NZ and have done for the past 15 years....and mange league at club and rep level.

I am telling you now rugby league is on life support in NZ....even in the might of auckland, numbers are dropping pretty quickly...

Gobsmacked

Bench
I'm not a troll...I live and breathe rugby league In NZ and have done for the past 15 years....and mange league at club and rep level.

I am telling you now rugby league is on life support in NZ....even in the might of auckland, numbers are dropping pretty quickly...
And if the Kiwis win the world cup.. Warriors return... and a new team gets the go ahead in Wellington...
I can't remember a time when the prospects for rugby league in NZ were so bright!
In case you haven't noticed, there's been a pandemic that forced the Warriors to relocate to Australia and all internationals including the world cup to be suspended.
The pandemic is over and there's very bright horizons ahead for league in new Zealand, starting with this incredible roster in the WC

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Again another opinion based argument with zero facts...there is no vision In the international game. If there was we would have a plan on next year's games....who's touring etc etc

In 22 years and 5 RLWC's, we are in no better position IMO. The big great hope after each World Cup is nations will develop post the tournament has never come about. Examples being South Africa, USA, and Russia. Then compare the 2000 sides to the 2022 squads for Ireland, Scotland, Cook Islands, Lebanon, Tongan, and Samoa and tell me how in 22 years the game as improved? I mean look at England, they would rather play a made up rep team then play France....

Ironic that both South Africa and USA missed out on this World Cup due to going down against a heritage based Cook Island side.

South Africa will never be seen at the RLWC again as they will have to get through an heritage based Lebanon side (unless the quailfy automatically through making the quarter finals), and then a play off against Cook Islands.

Until the game gets serious about high performance development, we will continue to see a predominantly heritage based nations.

In all honesty, the only nations that have a Domestic/Junior competition that is producing top level talent is Aus, Eng, NZ, France, PNG and Fiji. You could nearly included Wales to that list at a stretch. Outside these nations, the remaining 9 nations at this World Cup.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Again another opinion based argument with zero facts...there is no vision In the international game. If there was we would have a plan on next year's games....who's touring etc etc

In 22 years and 5 RLWC's, we are in no better position IMO. The big great hope after each World Cup is nations will develop post the tournament has never come about. Examples being South Africa, USA, and Russia. Then compare the 2000 sides to the 2022 squads for Ireland, Scotland, Cook Islands, Lebanon, Tongan, and Samoa and tell me how in 22 years the game as improved? I mean look at England, they would rather play a made up rep team then play France....

Ironic that both South Africa and USA missed out on this World Cup due to going down against a heritage based Cook Island side.

South Africa will never be seen at the RLWC again as they will have to get through an heritage based Lebanon side (unless the quailfy automatically through making the quarter finals), and then a play off against Cook Islands.

Until the game gets serious about high performance development, we will continue to see a predominantly heritage based nations.

In all honesty, the only nations that have a Domestic/Junior competition that is producing top level talent is Aus, Eng, NZ, France, PNG and Fiji. You could nearly included Wales to that list at a stretch. Outside these nations, the remaining 9 nations at this World Cup.
That's right, France PNG and Fiji are producing talent that they weren't in 2008 . Remarkable really. Growing too.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Kiwis won't get past Australia unless they have an off day. Even if they do manage to win the RLWC, it won't make much difference, like 2008.

You do know the Warriors had their worst season ever this year and are a running joke in NZ sport? They are an embarrassment to NZ league and its little wonder Kiwi players are picking aussie NRL teams when they get snapped up.

Wellington was gone from around 110 teams back in 2012 to less than half now. The majority of teams in their men's Premier comp don't even have reserve grade team and often have defaults. Their juniors have declined to no teams above u16s and some grades only 3 teams. There is zero chance of Wellington being able to sustain a NRL team.

Auckland rugby league men's dropped by 2,000, though women's numbers are up. Northland is at war with NZRL and have formed their own comp.

Ironic that it was too hard for Rugby League to play internationals during the pandamic....not for Rugby, cricket, basketball, Football....

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Kiwis won't get past Australia unless they have an off day. Even if they do manage to win the RLWC, it won't make much difference, like 2008.

You do know the Warriors had their worst season ever this year and are a running joke in NZ sport? They are an embarrassment to NZ league and its little wonder Kiwi players are picking aussie NRL teams when they get snapped up.

Wellington was gone from around 110 teams back in 2012 to less than half now. The majority of teams in their men's Premier comp don't even have reserve grade team and often have defaults. Their juniors have declined to no teams above u16s and some grades only 3 teams. There is zero chance of Wellington being able to sustain a NRL team.

Auckland rugby league men's dropped by 2,000, though women's numbers are up. Northland is at war with NZRL and have formed their own comp.

Ironic that it was too hard for Rugby League to play internationals during the pandamic....not for Rugby, cricket, basketball, Football....
Nz league will bounce back, all it will take is a decent warriors team, the pandemic hit nz hard.

france having professional pathways, png and Fiji is key to growth, I agree league always does things the hard way, but from the 2008 World Cup we have seen growth.

Tonga and samoa need investment on the islands next, we need to sort Greece and Lebanon, maybe wales and Ireland, and the America’s.

taste2taste

Juniors

Any ideas how to get the game in better health in NZ ? Are Rugby's numbers growing as leagues shrinks ?

I remember the Rugby World Cup held in Australia in the late 80s my dad took me to a few games, there were about 5k in the crowd and the scores were about 70 - 10, teams heavily lent on heritage players especially Japan who's team was nearly all kiwis. Sound familiar ? Lucky they didn't give up, Look how far Rugby has come since those days.

Last edited:

Gobsmacked

Bench

Gobsmacked

Bench

"In June 2021, the NRL announced a new broadcasting deal with New Zealand network Sky TV. Whilst exact sums are hard to pin down, it is believe this deal netted a substantial increase on the existing deal and will possibly rise to as high as $30m per annum. This will replace the existing deal, which runs out at the end of this year.

Sky chief executive Sophie Moloney said the partnership was more than a broadcast deal."

Sounds dreadful lol

There should be a system in place where a certain amount of your squad is home produced and that you have to have a certain amount of players from your comp.
Keep relying on heritage players is not beneficial to the game in the long term

Latest posts