What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auckland Vulcans 2011

Skinner

Coach
I posted this in the NSWRL forum, but there might be some interest here :

This from Auckland Rugby League : www.aucklandleague.co.nz

I think I'll reserve judgement.....

Following a summer long pre-season and a successful open trial, Vulcans Head Coach Richie Blackmore has announced an 8 man squad for the upcoming 2011 NSW Cup season as well as an extended squad of an additional 6 players to be used as cover.

These players will be mixed together with some Vodafone Warriors who are not selected for NRL duties to form a strong Auckland Vulcans side to compete in the 2011 NSW Cup.

Vulcans returning for the 2011 season include 2010 Rookie of the Year Johnny Aranga, the talented Fullback/outside who also played for many successful Canterbury Bull sides, devastating centre Shaun Metcalf and workhorse backrower Tulson Caird.

Whilst Appliance Shed Fox Memorial Hooker of the Year Darin Kingi was called upon to the Vulcans for a series of games last year, his great form with Manurewa & Counties-Manukau will see him play a prominent role for the Vulcans in 2011.

Howick Junior Anthony Gelling returns to Auckland following good form with the Roosters NYC squad and experiences with the Cook Islands side joined by fellow Cook Island International & Otahuhu Fox Memorial Captain Sema Mataora.

Perhaps lesser well known to the Auckland Rugby League scene would be Peter-George Rata however the barnstorming forward from Te Kuiti featured prominently for Waicoa-Bay Stallions as well as helping Hamilton City Tigers become Waikato Champions.

The 8 man squad is rounded out by young 19 year old Pukekohe Python Sonny Walker, who impressed during the recent open trial. A talented outside back, Sonny has plenty of premier experience with his local Pukekohe Pythons as well as a being regular for Auckland Maori in the Maori Rugby League Nationals. In 2010, Sonny also featured in the Auckland Southern Under 20’s side and following the Auckland Regional Challenge was named in the Auckland Under 20 Merit Team.

The following squad of 8 players have been named:

PLAYER 2010 CLUB POSITION

Anthony Gelling Sydney Roosters NYC Outside Back / 2nd row
Darin Kingi Manurewa Marlins Hooker
Johnny Aranga Vulcans/Mt Albert Lions Outside Back
Peter-George Rata Hamilton City Tigers /Waicoa Bay Stallions Prop / 2nd row
Sema Mataora Otahuhu Leopards Lock / Half
Shaun Metcalf Vulcans / Te Atatu Centre / 2nd row
Sonny Walker Pukekohe Pythons Outside Back
Tulson Caird Te Atatu Roosters Lock / 2nd row

The extended squad feature one 2010 Vulcan regular Sione Niuvoa Taka, four players who featured in the 2011 Appliance Shed Fox Memorial Grand Final; Atelea Nafetalai, William Heta, Joel Freeman and Kitiona Pasene.

It is also features SAS Sharman Cup player of the Year Willie Peace from the Otara Scorpions.

PLAYER 2010 CLUB POSITION

Atelea Nafetalai Otahuhu Centre / 2nd row
Joel Freeman Mt Albert Hooker
Kitiona Pasene Mt Albert Prop/2nd row
Sione Nuivoa Taka Richmond Centre
William Heta Otahuhu Half / Lock
Willie Peace Otara Outside Back

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
The Vulcans will be much better this year with the truck load of Warriors who won't be able to get in the starting 17 for the Warriors.

Skinner

Coach
Skinner What would you have rather seen or perhaps who?

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh mate. That's probably why I said I'm withholding judgement. I do think though, that there are other players out there who would have deserved a crack but aren't there.

The fact that they are not there is more to do with their clubs not allowing them or dissuading them from trialing, rather than Richie's selection skills.

Interestingly, this season the Vulcans (or officially Rugby League Development Foundation Inc ) are paying the clubs a transfer fee for the
core group and $100 per game if any of the second tier group are called up.

Skinner

Coach
The Vulcans will be much better this year with the truck load of Warriors who won't be able to get in the starting 17 for the Warriors.

No different to any other year mate....and it makes it much harder for the coach with the team chopping and changing all the time.

hitman82

Bench
In my opinion the Warriors have far better depth this season than in previous. Possibly the best we have ever had actually, particularly in second row and halves positions. This is bound to help the Vulcans, given that they are in the same (chop and change) situation as other NRL-associated NSW teams

Skinner

Coach
I really, really wish that we had once again a NRL Reserve Grade Competition, rather than the mish mash we have now. The NSW State Cup really doesn't know what it is.

Most teams always have a handful of reject 1st graders and they are generally extremely resentful of being there. It does not make for a happy, cohesive, team. The core non 1st graders also resent them for being there...they only train with them on the Thursday before the game. No real opportunity to form good combos etc.

Hopefully the new commission will make some changes.

Skinner

Coach
In my opinion the Warriors have far better depth this season than in previous. Possibly the best we have ever had actually, particularly in second row and halves positions. This is bound to help the Vulcans, given that they are in the same (chop and change) situation as other NRL-associated NSW teams

They have had perceived depth before hitman, but it hasn't made a blind bit of difference. The reject 1st graders simply don't want to be there.

Toddy Byrne was the only one I have known who played his heart out for them.

hitman82

Bench
Really?
That makes sense but is very disappointing.
Would have thought they would be more mature about the situation... afterall, playing poorly is unlikely to get you re-selected for First Grade!

Totally agree on the need for a "true" NRL Reserve Grade though. Perhaps with the new TV deal they will look into it.

--> doesn't surprise me that Byrne was a trier regardless of where he was - always came across as a true professional and was a generally likeable guy.

JAG

Juniors
I really, really wish that we had once again a NRL Reserve Grade Competition, rather than the mish mash we have now. The NSW State Cup really doesn't know what it is.

Most teams always have a handful of reject 1st graders and they are generally extremely resentful of being there. It does not make for a happy, cohesive, team. The core non 1st graders also resent them for being there...they only train with them on the Thursday before the game. No real opportunity to form good combos etc.

Hopefully the new commission will make some changes.

Agreed.

I remember seeing Denan Kemp turning out for the Vulcans and he summed up exactly what you've said. Mind you, he always looking thoroughly miserable no matter who he was playing for....

Rich102

Staff member
Yep, it should be a top priority to return to a system where the three teams play together. Juniors followed by Reserves followed by Firsts.
Better for the public and better for the players.

Humphrey

Juniors
They have had perceived depth before hitman, but it hasn't made a blind bit of difference. The reject 1st graders simply don't want to be there.

Toddy Byrne was the only one I have known who played his heart out for them.

Agree 100%

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Auckland Vulcans will have there best year for sure.
Think about these players all listed in the wider Vuclans squad plus warriors.

This year wont have to worry about complaceny from Warriors players.
So much depth there - there is potential for fringe warriors to be dropped to Fox Memorial.

There truly hasnt been this much depth before IMO.

Even the Junior Warriors wider squad is packed full of top talent.

A good story is Sonny Walker - a good young player didnt make the wider 20s squad but has made vulcans squad.
Pukekohe and wider franklin area has heaps of potential.
Hopefully his career progresses better than Jody Henrys - who was a real talent.
Ben Kingi should make the Warriors 20s squad - also from Puke

Best thing is that some of these Vulcans will progress to the NRL.

Im picking Metcalf & Kingi will attract serious attention from warriors & others.
Both providing genuine cover at a bargain bin price.

Last edited:

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Agreed.

I remember seeing Denan Kemp turning out for the Vulcans and he summed up exactly what you've said. Mind you, he always looking thoroughly miserable no matter who he was playing for....
same goes for kevin locke when he's playing for them. sad part is he's the best player on the park whenever he plays for them, but the attitude still stinks.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
yep, he's lucky he's allowed to breathe..

I'm all for 2nd chances, if one is truly repentant. So I have to give the Warriors & the Vulcans the benefit of the doubt on this one. And I guess I have to applaud them for it.

But I, personally, will not be cheering for him, if he ever pulls on a Warriors jersey.

Latest posts