What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AUS v NZ @ Mt Smart Stadium // Saturday 13 October - 5:45PM (AEDT) 7:45PM (NZDT)

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
That would be a disaster.

The Jnr roos have a bloody strong team...the woman's hard to pick as for once the kiwi girls will come in with some match fitness...as for the men, kodi and Johnson at half is a concern and Smith has only been playing 30 odd mins each game...

As for the crowd....NZRL are hoping for 15k....that tells me around 10-12 Have been sold as the walk up is usually 2k ish

Billythekid

First Grade
Jnr Roos by 24
Aus woman by 16
Kangaroos by 14

Crowd 13,500

All sounds about right. The NZ team in the men’s is pretty decent so I’m hoping it remains a close contest most of the match. Looking forward to this one.

Shame about the crowd as the atmosphere will suffer and it hardly encourages more international footy.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...h/news-story/a180e134cb538bfc240e61ec4533293a

AN embarrassing outcome at the turnstiles looms for New Zealand, prompting coach Michael Maguire to urge Kiwi rugby league fans to support their home team.
Two days out from the trans-Tasman Test in Auckland, the New Zealand Rugby League is anticipating a crowd of about 15,000 at Mt Smart Stadium.

The hastily arranged Test between the Kangaroos and Tonga a week later is expected to be sold out at the same venue, which can hold just under 26,000 fans.
Venue officials haven’t responded to AAP’s request for official sale figures but NZRL chief executive Greg Peters admitted the Kiwis Test was likely to attract a considerably smaller crowd, despite it being part of a trans-Tasman triple- header involving women’s and junior internationals.

“We’re hoping to get a crowd of around 15,000 at the end of the day but if we get three wins on the weekend people will say ‘I wish I was there watching that,” Peters told Radio Sport.

“I don’t think it has quite sold out the following week.”

Boosted by New Zealand and Australian NRL stars, Mate Ma’a Tonga provided the fairytale story of last year’s World Cup, attracting massive crowds on their way to a semi-final loss to England.

An indication that they would be popular again next week came at an official “welcome” in South Auckland on Wednesday night, when about 4000 flag-waving supporters enthusiastically greeted Sika Manu’s team.
Maguire implored Kiwi supporters to make their presence felt as he moulds a new- look team seeking to put last year’s World Cup disaster behind them.

The hosts under former coach David Kidwell were beaten by Tonga in pool play in Hamilton and were eliminated in a shock quarter-final loss to Fiji in Wellington.

“Oh look, I think we should get behind the team,” Maguire said.

“It’s a new beginning to where we’re going. I think the supporters play a big part in what makes a team.

“If people get behind that, they’re going to be in for a really good surprise over where we’re going as a group.”

3b9fb6df797e79c208cd4d1553583104

Michael Maguire has called on fans to come and support the Kiwis.Source: Getty Images
Peters said New Zealand fans in their Auckland heartland are getting used to the idea of supporting their team again.

“We haven’t had games regularly enough at our home. Mt Smart is the home of rugby league in New Zealand and we need to start to rebuild that,” he said.

“We took a big hit last year and that’s why I’m calling it a new era and a rebuild of the faith in the black and white shirt at the senior level particularly.”

New Zealand will host Tonga next year in a mid-season Test which replaces the failed experiment of playing England in Denver.

The NZRL is still to be financially compensated for this year’s Denver fixture, which was to be the first of a three-year agreement.

insert.pause

First Grade
"Up around 15k" is what the NZRL are "hoping for" and they don't think they would have got another 5k even without the tonga game.

These bs one off end of yr tests are pretty close to pointless.

Billythekid

First Grade
It’s hard to be excited for a one off test. Something like a tri series for example would be much more interesting to me (even without Australia, somoa/Tonga/NZ would be awesome). I’ll watch it no doubt but 1 off games never feel as important.

Pommy

Coach
"Up around 15k" is what the NZRL are "hoping for" and they don't think they would have got another 5k even without the tonga game.

These bs one off end of yr tests are pretty close to pointless.

We can’t have a tournament every year and we need more games not less, what do you suggest? NZ will still play at least 4 games this spring.

Billythekid

First Grade
We can’t have a tournament every year and we need more games not less, what do you suggest? NZ will still play at least 4 games this spring.

You don’t necessarily need a tournament but it’s far more appealing watching something like a 3 game series than a random one off test.

I think you can have a tournament every year anyway, just involving different nations or formats.

Burns

First Grade
You don’t necessarily need a tournament but it’s far more appealing watching something like a 3 game series than a random one off test.

I think you can have a tournament every year anyway, just involving different nations or formats.
Kinda like how England and New Zealand are playing in the Baskerville Series this/next month. Adding a trophy does generate a bit more buy in.

As for this weekend, it would have been great to have another Test being played ala PNG v Fiji/Samoa. Gives a real feel to the representative season.

Next week will be good with France v Engand and Tonga v Australia

Billythekid

First Grade
Kinda like how England and New Zealand are playing in the Baskerville Series this/next month. Adding a trophy does generate a bit more buy in.

As for this weekend, it would have been great to have another Test being played ala PNG v Fiji/Samoa. Gives a real feel to the representative season.

Next week will be good with France v Engand and Tonga v Australia

Makes it feel like they’re playing for something rather than just a show match.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
The Jnr roos have a bloody strong team...the woman's hard to pick as for once the kiwi girls will come in with some match fitness...as for the men, kodi and Johnson at half is a concern and Smith has only been playing 30 odd mins each game...

As for the crowd....NZRL are hoping for 15k....that tells me around 10-12 Have been sold as the walk up is usually 2k ish
I think the senior kiwis will beat Aussie while I agree with you about the junior kangaroos having a strong side although the junior kiwis have some serious talent in perham, marsters and hiroti. Just not enough to stop the junior kangaroos.

As for the crowd I think I posted earlier that it would be around 18,000 but all the signs and noise coming from the NZRL seem to suggest a coming disaster so I’ll revise it to around 12,500.

Billythekid

First Grade
If they draw a crowd less than the warriors average I think that tells you all you need to know about NZRL and what the fans think of it right now.

Hopefully they actually deliver this off season. With the warriors playing decent footy and the warriors turning things around maybe they can win back some fans.

A series against Tonga next year would help.

Latest posts