What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia v England - 4th Ashes Test

JJ

Immortal
Australia seems to have a number of problems - most of which us non-Aussies have been pointing out for a few years now...

Ponting is quite possibly the worst captain in test cricket - the defensive fields he was setting half an hour into the day were a disgrace. He's been made to look acceptable by 2 truly great bowlers.

One of those bowlers is unfit, Gillespie has lost form, anbd you have nothing else. Say what you like, but most of the rest of the world thinks Brett Lee is a pea hearted show pony who's all fire and brimestone on hard Australian wickets with the new ball, and a passenger the rest of the time.

Hayden's lost form and confidence (evidenced by his fielding) seemingly because his personal therapist Steve Waugh is no longer in the side, Katich and Clarke are incredibly over-rated, Tait looks an interesting curiousity but unless conditions are very helpful he too will be mediocre at best, Martyn seems to have slept with all the umpires wives or daughters, and Ponting is the only Australian batsman that's managed to construct an innings of any substance (and that was to save a match,).

Now the mixture of fading great players, Ponting, and overratted newcomers is 99/5 on wicket you were all calling a featherbed - it's just riveting watching, lmfao!!! Hopefully Shane Bond will get another crack at you lot soon!!!!!! I freely admit that we're very reliant on him (as we were on Hadlee), but the evidence (this series and the India one a few years ago) is just as compelling that Aust rely as heavily on McGrath

Tommy Smith

Referee
Btw isnt Clarke the king of 30's & 40's. Incredible the amount of times he gets out for those pretty little contributions.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
yeh, and he top scored

the pomms bowled straighter and better than we did, as evidenced by the amount of LBW decisions they got

credit where credit is due

El Diablo

Post Whore
Told ya these umps are crook.

I'd personally beat them to a bloody pulp if I were Damien Martyn.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Well 2 more crucial LBW decisions off the bat go against Australia.
But face the facts not one of Australias team is performing accept Warne.

Langer = 7 Bats , 1 score over 50 = 6 failures out of 7
Hayden = 7 Bats , 0 scores over 50 = 7 failures out of 7
Ponting = 7 Bats , 1 hundred , 1 half century , 4 scores below 10 = 5 failures out of 7
Martyn = 7 Bats , 1 score over 50 = 6 failures out of 7
Clarke = 7 Bats , 1 score over 5- = 6 failures out of 7
Katich = 6 bats , 1 score over 50 = 5 failures uot of 6
gilchrist = 6 bats, = 5 failures , one 49*

BOWLERS

Warne = good
McGrath = Good
Gillespie = terrible
Lee = inconsistant
Kasper = terrible
Tate = ok

face it not one of our batsman are performing. Even Ponting, anyone who sais hes having a good series is kidding himself, hes just the best of a terrible a bunch. Martyn can have a few excuses with two dodgy decisions. sure litterally almost every decision has gone englands way, but there still playing crp. problem is you cant make mass changes, and what will happen is obvious, we will get back down to australia they will all get some runs and everyone will assume everything is peachy. Mayb we should reward these guys by letting them play the world series, which they worked hard for, and then make some changes.

choc_soldier

Coach
I really don't know what to say.

We can't win it now, and hoping for a draw is a 50/50 thing at the moment.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Ashes will have new owners for the first time since 1989.

aussies1st

Staff member
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
Mayb we should reward these guys by letting them play the world series, which they worked hard for, and then make some changes.
If we want to further embrass ourselves.

azza

Juniors
I watched England play against South Africa and thought in all honesty that while they had improved they were no chance of beating Australia in this series. Two things have rendered that judgment incorrect - England have risen three or four gears playing Australia, probably to a level they didn't know they could play at. Secondly, Australia are playing downright sh*thouse. Warne and McGrath have been our only two "good" bowlers, and FFS Warne has been our best batsman in terms of consistency. Changes need to be made and the first is Hussey in for Hayden, the bloke has had enough chances. The selectors have shown him the loyalty based on his stellar performances since the India series in 2001 but he has had enough time to find his feet and he needs to get things right in Pura Cup before being eligible for selection in the national XI again.

And fair dinkum the way we are fielding out there you would think they are bowling with a slab of butter!

wittyfan

Referee
Australia's batting has been nothing short of shameful.

It's time to put some players out to pasture and bring in some young talent.

The golden days are now over.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Bucknor is having a shocker but Alem Dar has come up with some very good and very tough calls that I've seen seriously he'd be close to the best umpire in the world.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
If Australia loses the series, I reckon the selectors will stick with the same 11 players, since we're playing Windies and South Africa.

And then you'll have players like Hayden, Langer and Martyn pick up their form against joke of a sides. :roll:

This is the sort of period where a lot of the players are passed their best and cant get back into the same form they were in. Ask Darren Lehmann, fail on occassions on got dropped, and now he's international career is over.

Its time for some new blood, thats why England's going so well.

Big Mick

Referee
Hurriflatch said:
Bucknor is having a shocker but Alem Dar has come up with some very good and very tough calls that I've seen seriously he'd be close to the best umpire in the world.

Agreed

Alan Shore

First Grade
Hussey
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Hodge
Symonds
Gilchrist (c)
Warne
Tait
McGrath

If Ponting was fit for India I don't think we'd have won. He's devoid of any captaincy skill or tactics, Gilchrist does a good job on the other hand.

Big Mick

Referee
1. Justin Langer
2. Mike Hussey
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Simon Katich
5. Michael Clarke
6. Brad Hodge
7. Adam Gilchrest
8. Shane Warne
9. Brett Lee
10. Nathan Bracken
11. Glenn McGrath / Shaun Tait (when MgGrath moves on)

I can't believe Bracken isn't there. he's a lefty, he can swing the ball. fair dinkum.

Earl

Coach
FFS, what is it with people not wanting Hussey to open yet they want a make shift opener.