What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia v Japan (Game 9)

j_tig

Juniors
still tingling from the game, although if the aussies do that again i might need to have an ambulance on standby!
ive never been so glad to be wrong - 9 minutes to go i said 'cant believe were going to lose because of that f*cking ref!' then 8 minutes of heaven!
new favourite player after cahil kennedy... mr kennedy!

Ari Gold

Bench
-----------------Kalac-----------------
----Neill----Moore-----Chipperfield-----
----------Culina-----Grella-------------
-----Bresciano---Cahill---Kewell---------
------Viduka---------Kennedy----------

Emerton, Aloisi off bench

lockyno1

Post Whore
borat said:
Actually yes you do. Players are picked for attacking and defensive qualities. You are going to struggle to comprehend the rest of the world cup locky if you can't get past this. Otherwise we would pick a team of 11 strikers.

WTF? I am still getting over the fact we are picking a crap passer of the ball becuase he can run! FMD I am sure any other defender can run!

borat

Bench
lockyno1 said:
WTF? I am still getting over the fact we are picking a crap passer of the ball becuase he can run! FMD I am sure any other defender can run!
:BDH:

Are you for real locky or is this a gee up? Can you not understand Hiddink wanting to choose the fittest player in the team to shut down attatcking midfielders?

I will spell it out for you. When you have a 75% fit kewell plus Bresciano, and Emmerton pushing forward agaisnt a team whose main strength is the quick break and high workrate, you need some players to just concentrate of defense. It wouldn't have surprised me if Hiddink instructed Wilskhire not to push forward at all.

FFS is a tactical game, its not all about scoring goals.

Do you think David Stagg is in your broncos team for his tryscoring ability or cut out passes?

Cammo

Bench
Let him go borat, he obviously is trying to sound like he knows the game when it seems more like the fact that he has absolutely no clue whatsoever.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Cammo said:
Let him go borat, he obviously is trying to sound like he knows the game when it seems more like the fact that he has absolutely no clue whatsoever.

Hey I am saying we must have better options. I recon one of the players from the Mariners or Sydney FC would have been able to do a better job! Heck I recon Skoko would have been better!

borat

Bench
Look the world cup is for everyone and Locky is entitled to his opinion. I am just trying to make him see that its not all about scoring 10 goals a game. England is the best example you are going to see that you can have the 4 most talented midfielders in the world but unless they are playing as a team and defending as well as attatcking its not going to work.

You would think Lampard and Gerard is a dream midfield combination but there styles of play hamper each other.

Cammo

Bench
lockyno1 said:
Hey I am saying we must have better options. I recon one of the players from the Mariners or Sydney FC would have been able to do a better job! Heck I recon Skoko would have been better!

Yeah fair enough that is your opinion, but I will trust Guus' judgment before most others. I reckon Wilkshire did want Guus wanted him to do and it wasn't to be flashy and inspiring.

Nuffs

Bench
actually thinking about what really pissed me off during the game, was the atrocious basic defending from the wide midfielders

i coach 15 year olds guys, and even 20 year old girls, to employ 1st defender 2nd defender tactics

how many times did japan attack down the flanks because we had 2 guys rushing to the ball when there was already an overlap?

this is what really annoyed me about WILKSHIRE in particular. he may have been put there for a reason but I would love to count how many times he came in to the middle corridor to pressure a guy ALREADY MARKED and allowed Alex to run down the left wing.

i'm not solely blaming WILKSHIRE. it happened on the other side too. not nearly as often though.

Cammo

Bench
borat said:
Look the world cup is for everyone and Locky is entitled to his opinion. I am just trying to make him see that its not all about scoring 10 goals a game. England is the best example you are going to see that you can have the 4 most talented midfielders in the world but unless they are playing as a team and defending as well as attatcking its not going to work.

You would think Lampard and Gerard is a dream midfield combination but there styles of play hamper each other.

I just get frustrated when someone starts saying "so and so" sucks and calling them names when it is apparent they don't know what the gameplan was.

I'd like to see them do things better than Guus. What is wrong with just saying you think someone had a bad game, some of the posts here about Wilkshire are disgraceful.

borat

Bench
Nuffs said:
actually thinking about what really pissed me off during the game, was the atrocious basic defending from the wide midfielders

i coach 15 year olds guys, and even 20 year old girls, to employ 1st defender 2nd defender tactics

how many times did japan attack down the flanks because we had 2 guys rushing to the ball when there was already an overlap?

this is what really annoyed me about WILKSHIRE in particular. he may have been put there for a reason but I would love to count how many times he came in to the middle corridor to pressure a guy ALREADY MARKED and allowed Alex to run down the left wing.

i'm not solely blaming WILKSHIRE. it happened on the other side too. not nearly as often though.

Yeah it was far from perfect and I don't understand why Emmerton and Wlkshire weren't swapped around. Emmerton had no idea in the centre of the park and Wilkshire was getting skinned on the outside because he doesn't know how to play there. All I can think of was that Hiddink wanted Alex to be cosntantly worried his ankles would be heading home to japan on a separate plane.

Nuffs

Bench
ahahahah!!!
that could be it

and that's why i'm criticising WILKSHIRE so much. i think it was a good plan, but the execution just wasn't anywhere near where i would like it

and yes i do blame Emerton as well. he's talented but he seems to be outplayed often at the highest level

borat

Bench
Nuffs said:
ahahahah!!!
that could be it

and that's why i'm criticising WILKSHIRE so much. i think it was a good plan, but the execution just wasn't anywhere near where i would like it

and yes i do blame Emerton as well. he's talented but he seems to be outplayed often at the highest level

I don't blame either of them because they were being played out of position. But Hiddink knows his stuff. Even if Japan did find some space down the flanks how many clear cut chances did they create. Not bloody many thats for sure. As far as we know maybe Hiddink's plan was to show them the wings and entice them down there. If your team is no good in the air all the crosses in the world won't help your cause.

Godz Illa

Coach
I'm with Cammo, lockyno1 is an asshole who loves nothing more than a scapegoat, even in victory. The Wilkshire comments, dripping with salacious disdain, taint an otherwise enjoyable thread.

Briza said:
3 Goal 2nd half from the Aussies :)
Props to Briza for this halftime prediction.

Jackal Dog

Juniors
Aloisi has to start next game! that goal he scored was pure class play him up along side Dukes and shift Harry back on to the left. Dukes playing upfront by himself doesn't work...

borat

Bench
Jackal Dog said:
Aloisi has to start next game! that goal he scored was pure class play him up along side Dukes and shift Harry back on to the left. Dukes playing upfront by himself doesn't work...

I wouldn't hold your breath on that. Against brazil the only new player in the team that will play infront of goals will be A Bus.

borat

Bench
How good is it to be talking about how we can improve a side with one win from one in the world cup!!!!!!!

I mean what a buzz. You couldn't even dream this was possible 6-8 months ago. Its great to be an Aussie today.

PB

Bench
borat said:
I don't blame either of them because they were being played out of position. But Hiddink knows his stuff. Even if Japan did find some space down the flanks how many clear cut chances did they create. Not bloody many thats for sure. As far as we know maybe Hiddink's plan was to show them the wings and entice them down there. If your team is no good in the air all the crosses in the world won't help your cause.

Thats very true, but i think it would have been a risk considering our centre back in L.Neill isn't the best arial defender. It seemd Japan wanted to play deep in the park, and we played a long way up which meant there was alot of room between our backs and midfield. Chipperfield in particular i thought struggled to keep pace with his opponents (and i don't dislike the guy, heck i'm from Wollongong). When we play opponents with better ball control who like to play the ball through early it will be even harder to hold them.

Offensively i thought we tried to come up through the middle too much and that was because we couldn't get good wide balls through from Wilshire and Chippers and our stronger players in Kewell and Bresc were playing more central.

But hey in Guus i trust, and what ever plan he sets, i am sure it is the one that best fits our teams

Latest posts