What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Side Announced

Mr Saab

Referee
Cowgirl86 said:
Obviously it's understood to pick players that have played rep footy more and are more reliable.
But something must be said about picking players that,although have the above...are playing poorly.

The whole reason of getting a rep jersey in the first place is playing to your absolute best to get picked.

It makes a joke of the whole thing to be picking 'average' to 'poor' form players for a representative game.

And you can voice your opinion over and over and over again.
But i have a little tip for you....you are wasting your time.
If it was picked on form then we would have had 4000 players play for Oz, and that would cheapen the jersey

simon says

First Grade
I can understand them picking Smith......but Berrigan????

No wonder everyone stays at the Broncs.....put on a jumper and you are even money for a rep jersey.

Im surprised that Lacey and Carlaw didnt get a go.....

Shorty

Staff member
Mr Saab said:
If it was picked on form then we would have had 4000 players play for Oz, and that would cheapen the jersey
I'm not arguing about 'on form' I'm arguing about 'off form'.

Cheapen the jersey??? Brent Tate,who has gone from centre to wing because of his performances has been chosen...he is playing absolutely poorly!

Balmain_Boy

Simon, we all know that the premiers deserve and do get a lot of players in the test team.

Well, when Brisbane are premiers they do.

It is suppose to be about picking the best side, fairness and rewarding players for playing well. There is no way 6 players from the Broncos (plus Eastwood will make the Kiwi team) are playing well, the way they are catching it looks more like AFL. There are no good 5/8ths at the moment so Lockyer scrapes in, Civoniceva coming into this week was the NRL leader in metres gained, thoroughly deserves his spot and Hodges is just about the form player of the competition. The rest should piss off, the last two weeks the Broncs have looked better with Lacey on the field than Berro.

Manly are undefeated leading the comp without Matt Orford, Jamie Lyon is doing something right. Anthony Tupuo, what the hell, definitely a love affair selection. Matt King, why pick him out of position when you can pick a faster, more exciting player there, i.e Billy Slater, Matt Bowen (he should be 1 though) Brett Stewart, Timanu Tahu. Faster, more exciting, more use to wing play, better under the high ball, all of them are than King. Apart from Tupuo the pack is pretty fair but there are a lot of guys going around in form at the moment so would have been hard to leave anyone out ie. Luke O'Donnell pre-injury, the Ogre, even Watmough is creating buzz for Origin selection. But the backs flat out suck, stop picking incumbents out of form, I named a host of former Aus and current Origin players that would do a fantastic job for the Green and Gold without going mad and picking a true rookie like Folau or Merritt.

Get with the times, this team is playing the Anzac Test of 2007 not 2006.

Mr Saab

Referee
Cowgirl86 said:
I'm not arguing about 'on form' I'm arguing about 'off form'.

Cheapen the jersey??? Brent Tate,who has gone from centre to wing because of his performances has been chosen...he is playing absolutely poorly!

Then be "selector" and name me your "form" team

thommo4pm

Coach
I don't mind Tate being in the team.
He is a proven performer for Australia and I think he deserves his spot.
He goes to a new level when playing rep footy.
You watch how well he goes on Friday night.

Australia will belt the kiwis.
The Kiwis halves wont be able to match ours.
Those calling for Prince, where would you play Thurston and Lockyer then if Prince was to be included?
Kite deserves his spot, and Andrew Ryan falls into the same category as Tate.
Ryan does a lot of work that doesn't get the wraps it deserves.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I think it's perfectly obvious that Price should be in the side. My take is that Stuart more or less retired Price from international football before last year's tri-nations, because he clearly should have been in the team (starting line-up) last year as well. It's so obvious it's basically a non-argument. Basically I think Stuart has decided Price is too old and he's never going to pick him again, end of story.

CharlieF

Juniors
Mr Saab said:

Why would that cheapen the jersey???

By making the test team if you are currently the absolute best player available cheapen the jersey??? Please explain this. Its not as though they give it to anyone. If the price to get the jersey is incumbancy, that is cheapening the jersey.

Thank god none of you are selectors.. Fair dinkum, some of the names you guys are throwing up that should be in the australian team is just rediculous...

Every time an australian, nsw, qld team is named all of you 'experts' bag it out. Not everyone from the club you support can make the aussie side...

Mr Saab

Referee
You have to earn your rep jersey...not just throw it out there to the likes of anyone in a 5 game purple patch of form...like a greg bird for example.
Play the whole yr, play well in origin too and it is hard to be overlooked.

thommo4pm

Coach
scottyj said:
maybe coz Coopers been playing sh*t

Lyon is their coz he has been defending so well

Cooper hasn't been playing sh*t.
The side around him has been....he has held his own.