What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Summer

Hallatia

Referee
No room for Chappell-Hadlee one-day series

The dates have been confirmed for New Zealand's short test tour of Australia in December.
Cricket Australia today released its schedule for the 2011-12 international summer which features tours by New Zealand, India and Sri Lanka.
New Zealand's two-test tour starts at Brisbane's Gabba on December 1; Tasmania's Bellerive Oval hosts the second test from December 9.
While the trans-Tasman trophy will be up for grabs in the longest form of the game, there is no room in the calendar for the Chappell-Hadlee one-day series.
It was not possible to stage it in February because New Zealand are hosting South Africa while Australia have also reverted to the traditional ODI Tri-Series after a four-test series against India.
The Chappell-Hadlee Trophy has diminished in importance since its inception in 2004-05 - last summer it was retained by Australia because they beat New Zealand by seven wickets in their pool game at the World Cup in Nagpur, India.
New Zealand has a wretched test record on Australian soil since surprisingly sharing a three-test series 0-0 in 2001.
They were thrashed by an innings and 156 runs (Brisbane) and 213 runs (Adelaide) in 2004.
Four years later they experienced more disappointment at the same venues, losing by 149 runs at the Gabba and an innings and 62 at the Adelaide Oval.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/5143404/No-room-for-Chappell-Hadlee-one-day-series
I did not know that. I don't think there has been much said about the Chappell-Hadlee series in a long while, I'd been wondering what ever happened to it...

Hallatia

Referee
Clark has not retired. I just looked it up to confirm and I read the words "His is a semi-retirement from the game."

Hallatia

Referee
Part-time player, full-time administrator: Clark lightens his load
Andrew Wu
May 19, 2011
STUART CLARK wants to get one thing straight: he has not retired from cricket. His is a semi-retirement from the game.
Clark announced yesterday that he would quit full-time cricket but still harbours ambitions of representing NSW at the Champions League Twenty20 tournament this year and will make himself available for the Blues' domestic campaign next summer - if required.
But there is a caveat. His job as the boss of fledgling Big Bash team the Sydney Sixers must come first.
Advertisement: Story continues below
''I'd still love to play but I can't do both - I'm very realistic about that,'' Clark said yesterday.
''The job is a big commitment and something I'm really looking forward to, so obviously I want to devote as much time into that.
''If I can keep playing cricket in some way shape or form and help out I'm more than happy to.
''I've realised I can't play cricket forever, even though you always want to. It was a tough decision to stop playing first-class cricket all the time and at the end of the day it's probably a good thing for me and for NSW cricket.''
Incoming NSW coach Anthony Stuart said last week Clark still had something to offer the Blues.
But the fortunes of Doug Bollinger's Chennai and Brett Lee's Kolkata in the Indian Premier League and the health of NSW's exciting young fast-bowling battalion will determine the demand for Clark's on-field services at the CLT20.
The top three teams in the IPL qualify for the lucrative event and with five days left in the preliminary rounds both Chennai and Kolkata remain in contention to advance to the semi-finals.
Should Bollinger and Lee be unavailable, Clark's experience and ability to guide youngsters Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood, who is recovering from a serious back injury, could prove vital.
''I haven't said no to the Champions League. It's something I'll have to talk to Cricket NSW about,'' Clark said. ''If it fits in with my work commitment, it's something I'd love to do and be involved in again.
''Put it this way, it's something I still really want to do and something that I think I'll be able to do but I'm not going to commit to it at this stage.''
Clark, however, will continue playing grade cricket for Sydney University, not only to give something back to the game but to also ensure he will be match fit in case state selectors send him an SOS.
''I said to the selectors and the people at Cricket NSW if they want me to play and they feel there is a need for it, I'll more than happily help out,'' he said.
''I'll need to keep training but I'll be based at the cricket ground anyway so training's not going to be particularly difficult if I can get up early in the morning or late in the afternoon whenever it might be.''
Clark, who has a masters in commerce and is completing a law degree, will start his new job in June and in just over six months must build a team from scratch in time for the launch of the inaugural Big Bash League, tipped to start in mid-December. The Sixers are in the hunt for players, coaches and other back-room staff.
Former NSW coach Matthew Mott, who guided the Blues to their CLT20 triumph in 2009, and former Sri Lanka mentor Trevor Bayliss are among those who will be in contention to fill the key posts with the two Sydney-based clubs.
Source

TheParraboy

Staff member
Im always happy when summer of cricket is around the corner, though a good 5-6 months wait for it to kick off, though we do have SL and SA test series coming up soonish

Should be at the SCG test, will try and get to the adelaide test right after Australia day

India should be looking to win their first test series in Australia ever, I cant see them not winning the test series. However if they cant do it then they are nothing but no1 pretenders

Sudhir

Juniors
India should be looking to win their first test series in Australia ever, I cant see them not winning the test series. However if they cant do it then they are nothing but no1 pretenders
This isn't the 2000s anymore, beating Australia is no longer the Holy Grail of Test cricket. I'm afraid that when you're beaten at home in two out of three summers you become irrelevant.

If we beat England in England we have more than justified our no1 ranking.

You don't judge a team on how they perform in the fifth best country in the world, you judge them on how they performed in the best.

Hallatia

Referee
Hey, West Indies beat India last night. It was only an ODI, but they are definitely worse than Australia and they beat India

Sudhir

Juniors
So if you lost touring the fifth best country in the world does that make you shit?
Losing in England (about fifth) didn't prevent people claiming Ponting's Australia were the best Test team in the world, so I guess not

Deadly

Juniors
Losing in England (about fifth) didn't prevent people claiming Ponting's Australia were the best Test team in the world, so I guess not

Oh dhir, that English side had been building for years and were far better than (about fifth). As other posters have suggested get back to us after you have been the number one test team for 15 consecutive years not to mention won three 50 over world cups in a row.

Sudhir

Juniors
Ok champ .... :crazy: Settle down ..

I'm talking about Team India proving we deserve our No. 1 ranking, not creating a dynasty.

Presumably you also get upset when the reigning NRL premiers have the nerve to claim they're the best. Unless they win 11 in a row they should shut up right? :lol:

Deadly

Juniors
Ok champ .... :crazy: Settle down ..

I'm talking about Team India proving we deserve our No. 1 ranking, not creating a dynasty.

Presumably you also get upset when the reigning NRL premiers have the nerve to claim they're the best. Unless they win 11 in a row they should shut up right? :lol:

"team India" (give me a bucket) do deserve their #1 ranking. Who on this forum has ever seriously argued otherwise?

Sudhir

Juniors
Hey, West Indies beat India last night. It was only an ODI, but they are definitely worse than Australia and they beat India
Dead rubber. We've already won so gave some other players a go. In fact we had just 3 from our WC winning XI

Been a great series to watch, our young guys have really impressed

Looking forward to the Tests, looks like Kohli will be making his debut

Last edited:

Sudhir

Juniors
"team India" (give me a bucket) do deserve their #1 ranking. Who on this forum has ever seriously argued otherwise?
Several, I'd say that deep down they know we're the best, but their jealously won't allow them to admit it

Glad to see that you are an admirer of Team India.

Deadly

Juniors
Touché! Same deal, most of the posts I have read come from people who are great admirers of the talent they possess. Hopefully once in a generation! That said, reports today Sachin wants to play on until he is 45!?

armchaircritic

Juniors
Looking forward to the summer. Aus vs India will be great viewing. Zaheer aside, I have never really rated India's pace bowling. Wonder how Sharma will go second time round...

On a side note - Might head down to Tassie to watch NZ play Aus. What is Bellerive oval like as a ground?
Disappointing we only play two tests against you guys - with no warm up. I hate 2 match series.

TheParraboy

Staff member
"team india" :lol:

Good to see India (and their fans) adopting americanism literature :lol:

Deserve to be no1 1 test nation, though still a way to go to reach the heights of WI and Australian teams of the past 3 decades. Still a way to go for ....team india...bbwhahahahaha