What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Away jersey colour debate

Frailty

First Grade

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just because it's the same colours doesn't mean it isn't an away kit.

Whilst you may prefer the Premier League approach where the colours are completely different, I prefer the approach where club colours are the same, just the predominant colour is different.
The idea is to have a alternate kit that doesnt clash with the home team! Teams should be wearing their main kit unless it clashes with the opposition, in which case wear the away kit. But if the main kit clashes theres not much point having an away kit in the same colours!

Last edited:

Nuke

Staff member
A club's colours are part of its identity. Part of its immediate recognition. I'm a Knights supporter. We wear red and blue. Those are our colours. Not some other colour scheme. And yes, I know there is that miners hi-vis kit 1-2 times per season, but very few people are keen on that. Especially if it were to become our alternate / away kit.

sheepbender

Juniors
most of them are exactly the same colours, just reordered. Get creative and choose a different colour ffs!

View attachment 84122View attachment 84123
View attachment 84124View attachment 84125

most of them are exactly the same colours, just reordered. Get creative and choose a different colour ffs!

View attachment 84122View attachment 84123
View attachment 84124View attachment 84125
Nah F that, then our clubs will do silly colours like the Super League.

Where’s the tradition in wild unrelated colours..?!

Not for me.

Frailty

First Grade
The idea is to have a alternate kit that doesnt clash with the home team! Teams should be wearing their main kit unless it clashes with the opposition, in which case wear the away kit. But if the main kit clashes theres not much point having an away kit in the same colours!
I mean, this is just blatantly wrong. Sports like the NHL and NBA are able to function with the away kits having the same colours as the home.

The Sharks' black jersey is clearly different to their home blue. The Eels white is clearly different to their home blue, etc.

I mean, this is just blatantly wrong. Sports like the NHL and NBA are able to function with the away kits having the same colours as the home.

The Sharks' black jersey is clearly different to their home blue. The Eels white is clearly different to their home blue, etc.

In fact in the NBA some clubs have 3-4 different kits they use during a season which are all just variations of its traditional colour scheme.

For example, these are those of the Chicago Bulls -

Home kit
1707864863270.png

Away

1707864895938.png

Alternate 1

1707864969664.png

Alternate 2

1707865033011.png

The Great Dane

First Grade

Actually you're the one that's wrong.

With the exception of a relative handful of unique cases, traditionally in American sports the home team wore a dark jersey (i.e. the teams colours) and the away team wore a white jersey. That tradition was specifically created to make sure the teams uniforms contrasted and was true of all of the sports (except for one IIRC, that did the inverse, white at home and colours away, but I can't remember which), until relatively recently in most sports when things like alternate kits started to become common, which each league handles differently in the US.

To this day the American leagues still have much stricter uniform rules to prevent clashes than you see in the NRL, and still generally stick to a policy of contrasting light vs dark jerseys.

Frankly, the NRL's uniform rules are effectively non-existent compared to basically every other major sports league around the world that I can think of, and it's not for the better. The NRL should have a policy that the teams jerseys must clearly contrast on game day, and the fact they don't almost as often as not is a major failing.

Frailty

First Grade
Actually you're the one that's wrong.

With the exception of a relative handful of unique cases, traditionally in American sports the home team wore a dark jersey (i.e. the teams colours) and the away team wore a white jersey. That tradition was specifically created to make sure the teams uniforms contrasted and was true of all of the sports (except for one IIRC, that did the inverse, white at home and colours away, but I can't remember which), until relatively recently in most sports when things like alternate kits started to become common, which each league handles differently in the US.

To this day the American leagues still have much stricter uniform rules to prevent clashes than you see in the NRL, and still generally stick to a policy of contrasting light vs dark jerseys.

Frankly, the NRL's uniform rules are effectively non-existent compared to basically every other major sports league around the world that I can think of, and it's not for the better. The NRL should have a policy that the teams jerseys must clearly contrast on game day, and the fact they don't almost as often as not is a major failing.
I mean I would be wrong if the vast majority of teams didn't have white as part of their colour scheme. Funnily enough, most of the NRL's clash jerseys are a white or light jersey (with clubs like Cronulla being an exception). I'm an NHL fan, and yes - teams have road whites (used to home whites but they switched it many years ago) - but white is usually part of clubs primary jerseys or logo, so it's not outside of the club's identify.

My post was in response to Perth Red's suggestion the NRL should adopt the Premier League and European Soccer approach of clash jerseys being a completely different set of colours outside of the clubs identity:1708033779000.png
I don't want to see the NRL bring this kind of approach in. It's ridiculous that all three jerseys are meant to represent the same team.

You won't hear me disagree with the suggestion that the NRL needs to be much firmer on jersey policy in terms ensuring proper contrast (and perhaps actually making Souths have a jersey that isn't essentially the same as the home jersey).

The Great Dane

First Grade
I mean I would be wrong if the vast majority of teams didn't have white as part of their colour scheme. Funnily enough, most of the NRL's clash jerseys are a white or light jersey (with clubs like Cronulla being an exception). I'm an NHL fan, and yes - teams have road whites (used to home whites but they switched it many years ago) - but white is usually part of clubs primary jerseys or logo, so it's not outside of the club's identify.
You're still wrong, no 'would be' about it.

White is only a part of their colour schemes in the first place because they were forced to wear it as part of league policy. Many of them never identified white as part of their team colours despite their white aways, and take the influence of that policy away and a lot of them would never have had white jerseys at all.
My post was in response to Perth Red's suggestion the NRL should adopt the Premier League and European Soccer approach of clash jerseys being a completely different set of colours outside of the clubs identity:View attachment 84186
I don't want to see the NRL bring this kind of approach in. It's ridiculous that all three jerseys are meant to represent the same team.

You won't hear me disagree with the suggestion that the NRL needs to be much firmer on jersey policy in terms ensuring proper contrast (and perhaps actually making Souths have a jersey that isn't essentially the same as the home jersey).
There's nothing ridiculous about that approach at all, it's actually a really elegant solution to the problem. There'd be no issues with every team in the NRL being blue/navy if the NRL had the same system for example.

There are dozens of teams in the e.g. English football pyramid that have effectively the same jersey as at least one other team, e.g. Blades and Brentford in the Prem ATM, but under this system they never have to worry about clashing and they have the creative freedom to produce pretty much any jersey and merch range they can imagine. And whether you'll admit it or not, there is actually demand for a lot of these alt kits and merch.

A club's identity is whatever they make of it and there's no reason why that identity can't include brightly coloured away jerseys. The only reason you're arguing against it is because you personally aren't interested in a green or purple Liverpool jersey, and don't care about the practicalities of it. Frankly, when you talk about identities you're just using a flexible buzzword as crutch to try and justify your position without having to make a rational argument for it.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Wtf is the pedantic windbag on about?
*gets to second line of rant*
fall-asleep-falling-asleep.gif

Latest posts