What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B2

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Knowing Mooney it will be a modest but fair deal. Signing it could win him a premiership and his next deal will be his big one.

R-15-3

Bench
IMO the top 6-7 hookers warrant $500+ a year.
Is he or will he be for the next few years if so anything around that is a steal.
If we don’t see him as in the top 6-7 hookers then I’m not sure he is worth signing to a long term deal especially a year + out from it starting.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Agreed, sign him up whilst others are distracted trying to woo others.

Reports are he wants to stay. Give him a respectful deal and get it done
Reckon he’ll thrive with McInnes and Finnucane taking some defensive pressure off him as well as better defensive structures that Fitz will put in place. Hopefully this will allow him to develop his running and attacking game.

Special K

Coach
I love Brandon Smith but I can't see a world where he is worth the money being thrown at him. Mahoney is alright but I don't see him as worlds ahead of Brailey - especially when you read the numbers he is getting offered. Hodgson is busted. If we can keep B2 and I can't see why we wouldn't I think we might win the 9 wars going on at the moment. I do worry about the chooks here. They are going to steal someone and cause a domino effect.

B1 only started to come good after 3 years in FG. B2 has shown more in the first 3 years than B1 did in a worse team. Finucane and McInnes in the middle instead of Woods, Toby and Fifita etc makes the world of difference. I would expect Tobys defence improves with the new boys coming in also.

The Sharks are reportedly close to re-signing Blayke Brailey on a long-term deal to keep the local junior at the club despite rumours Cameron McInnes’ arrival could see him squeezed out.
Brailey came up through the junior grades with the Sharks before debuting in 2019. The club showed tremendous belief in his ability when they let his older brother and their starting hooker, Jayden, leave in order to give Brailey the No.9 jersey.
Cronulla are determined not to lose Brailey withNews Corpreporting a three-year extension has been tabled to the 23-year-old, who comes off contract at the end of 2022.
Catch all the ICC T20 World Cup action live & exclusive to Fox Cricket, available on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial today.
Grand Final
NRL
Oct 03 7:30pm AEST
FT
Panthers
Panthers
Rabbitohs
Rabbitohs
MATCH CENTRE

*Odds are current as of 18th November 2021, 8:19am AEST
VIEW ALL SCORES

Mitchell Pearce leaves for Super League

Mitchell Pearce leaves for Super League | 00:39

The extension gives a clear indication that Brailey as a key part of new coach Craig Fitzgibbon’s plans despite the arrival of ex-Dragons skipper McInnes and Queensland Cup Player of the Year Jayden Berrell.

Former coach John Morris signed McInnes with the plan to play him at lock, but when Fitzgibbon signed Dale Finucane many assumed McInnes would move to dummy half, leaving big question marks over Brailey’s future.
But with Brailey set to sign a new deal, it’s clear he is very much part of the future.
MORE NRL NEWS
NEVER SAY NEVER: Inside the Bears’ unique push for NRL return
STICKY SITUATION: Headache for Raiders with four players yet to be vaxxed
‘TIME WAS RIGHT’: Pearce opens up on Knights exit, reveals his pick to replace him

It’s a big win for the Sharks given the shortage of classy dummy-halves in the competition and how much movement is expected in that position for 2023.
Brandon Smith, Reed Mahoney, Api Koroisau and Josh Hodgson all come off contract at the end of 2022 and are testing their value on the market.
Four clubs are chasing Smith, not including the Storm, while the Bulldogs are in the market for a No.9 and have tried to woo Mahoney. Meanwhile, both Hodgson and Koroisau have been linked to the Tigers.
Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!!!

Could Reynolds be Broncos captain?

Could Reynolds be Broncos captain? | 02:02

With so much demand for experienced hookers and little to go around, some clubs will miss out. But the Sharks, who are blessed with three options next season, now look to be settled for the future as well.
Brailey has proven his worth to the Sharks over the last couple of seasons, playing in 20 and 24 games respectively. His new deal is a well-deserved reward.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Good point K about smith.

The media he does where he plays the larrikin has placed his importance higher than it actually is. Arguably Harry grant is better but doesn’t get the exposure.

Happy to keep B2 and get out of the hooker mess that’s about to unfold.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Assuming we lock in B2 for say 500k… would there be a cheaper spine in the Nrl? I’d say we’d come in a touch under 2 mill with ours for the next 2 years anyway. Obviously success will determine if those prices go north.

Tiger Shark

Bench
Assuming we lock in B2 for say 500k… would there be a cheaper spine in the Nrl? I’d say we’d come in a touch under 2 mill with ours for the next 2 years anyway. Obviously success will determine if those prices go north.

Titans might be cheaper as Brimson might be the only one on decent money.

Maccas4177

Juniors
I've heard Sharks need to up their offer if they want to keep him. Has anyone in the know heard the same?

Special K

Coach
Mahoney getting 2.4 over 4 is huge money. Parra offering 1.5 for 3 is just mind blowing and stupid given they knew the offer on the table from the dogs. Gus going all in.

Good thing Brailey and Fitzy share the same manager...

Tiger Shark

Bench
Mahoney getting 2.4 over 4 is huge money. Parra offering 1.5 for 3 is just mind blowing and stupid given they knew the offer on the table from the dogs. Gus going all in.

Good thing Brailey and Fitzy share the same manager...

600k for a very good hooker I think is bang on. I like the whole of the NRL community do wonder where the Dogs are fitting all these players in. Might have repercussions down the road.

The Eels off is just insulting to be honest, there original one atleast.

Puts into perspective what Brailey should be on imo

Ozzi_78

First Grade
600k for a very good hooker I think is bang on. I like the whole of the NRL community do wonder where the Dogs are fitting all these players in. Might have repercussions down the road.

The Eels off is just insulting to be honest, there original one atleast.

Puts into perspective what Brailey should be on imo
Heard Gus is cutting some players to make it seem like he has to move some on to make some room. Smoke and mirrors for mine. His set up of kikau hasn’t worked how he wanted. Yet.

DJDL

Bench
I’m with Tiger Shark. I think ~600k for a hooker who would have played Origin if not for injury is about right.

It’s certainly closer to the money than they just shelled out for Gutho. ~770k for a second-tier fullback on the slide seems waaaay overs to me.

R-15-3

Bench
I’m think parra made the correct decision on the players that are leaving so far, all 3 are over rated IMO.
Mahoney is the only one not getting big overs to leave but I think parra have concerns over his body lasting.

Dogs are f**ked if they think all the players they have signed blends into a good team looks like they are building a squad out of an expensive hat.
I hope flanno Jr holds strong and refuses to leave early under any reason.

Tiger Shark

Bench
I’m think parra made the correct decision on the players that are leaving so far, all 3 are over rated IMO.
Mahoney is the only one not getting big overs to leave but I think parra have concerns over his body lasting.

Dogs are f**ked if they think all the players they have signed blends into a good team looks like they are building a squad out of an expensive hat.
I hope flanno Jr holds strong and refuses to leave early under any reason.
Not paying overs for the forwards that they lost was smart. Second rowers are replaceable and I think the key to smart salary cap management is not to pay overs for forwards.

Lowballing the second best hooker off contract and a top 5 hooker who would have probably preferred to stay with the Eels ( I'm assuming) is just dumb.

Agreed on the Dogs, they seem to just be going the biggest fanciest name available and hoping it'll work out. Suppose the only way was up and they'll defn improve.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Trent Barrett must be wondering how he can fugg this up.
Sit back let Gus hire and fire blokes at a whim.
Trent might be next