What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad career moves

ocko

juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Pat O'Doherty.

Played Origin for Qld when with the Magpies, went to the old Gold Coast, got injured, ate a horse and never surfaced again.

what year was this in?

mind you, a lot of blokes seemed to disappear when they signed with the old gold coast

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Adrian Vowels > cowboys

Played for qld, goes to the cowboys nothing, goes to england, man of steel.

Steve walters, jason hetherington, john lomax, dale shearer, tim brasher, martin bella, ian roberts, jason martin, willie morganson, dean schifalitti, johnathon ' the welsh wizard' davies, noa nadruku > cowboys

Shane howarth > all black > cowboys > nothing > goes back to union > welsh national team

tim sheens > cowboys > wests tigers > grand final winner

Thank god the cowboys are better now, it was hell supporting them through all the above.

ocko said:
what year was this in?

mind you, a lot of blokes seemed to disappear when they signed with the old gold coast

I don't have my encyclopaedia, the old man nicked it.

Early 1990's I think, from memory.

Actually, I'm not 100% sure he actually played an Origin, but I'm pretty certain he was at least picked.

I recall him coming back with the Gold Coast to Cambelltown, he was just back from a long-term injury and he was huge. He disappeared from the NSWRL shortly afterwards.

Pity, we loved him at the Magpies.

ocko

juniors
interesting...vaguely remember the name, but that's about it. mind you i was only about 5 or 6 at the time!

Mr Saab

Referee
ShineDog said:
thurston from the dogs to cowboys (he used to be so good)
price to the warriors (has bin)
=====================================

Nice piss take

Canard

Immortal
Im with you there Butch, surely the Almost 99% of any recruit to Cowboys circa 1995 to 2003 was a bad career move.

Notable exceptions : Julian O'Neil, Tim Brasher and Ian Roberts (who all played rep footy in their time there).

I always though the way Terry Hill carried on and cracked up about having to play for Easts (in the draft days) because he wanted to play for Wests to be the oddest thing going.

He went to Wests the following year, they were complete sh*t, and he left after one season.

ocko

juniors
a look at an old book confirms that pat o'doherty played 20 matches for wests in the 1990 season, so it must have been after that

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Eric Grothe- Roosters
Russell Richardson- Souths, if he was ever that good at Cronulla

Anyone who left Parramatta to go to Manly.

t-ba

Post Whore
PARRA_FAN said:
Anyone who left Parramatta to go to Manly.

Heckenberg got a good retirement fund out of it. Dunley played more First grade than he was ever entitled too!

gallagher

Juniors
Canard said:
I always though the way Terry Hill carried on and cracked up about having to play for Easts (in the draft days) because he wanted to play for Wests to be the oddest thing going.

He went to Wests the following year, they were complete sh*t, and he left after one season.

Actually they made the top five in his first year at wests, '92. Played two or three years there too, not one.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Terry Hill played Origin while playing for Wests,

then later he p*ssed off Manly along with Gillespie.

Gene Ngaumu letting himself be talked into staying at the Warriors when Graham Lowe got involved and Mark Graham became coach. He was all set to go to another club (The Cowboys I think...) and Lowe talked him out of it at the last minute. He was then pretty much screwed around by Mark Graham and was sent packing to England mid-season. His career never recovered.

Canard

Immortal
gallagher said:
Actually they made the top five in his first year at wests, '92. Played two or three years there too, not one.

Just checked you were deadset right about Wests making the 5 in 92.(Memory for 15 years ago aint that spot on).

But he only played there for one more season 93, and they finished 13th out of 16 teams.

He bolted the year after to Manly, still scratch my head that he was so "loyal" to Wests that he lasted two seasons before doing a runner.

gallagher

Juniors
Canard said:
Just checked you were deadset right about Wests making the 5 in 92.(Memory for 15 years ago aint that spot on).

But he only played there for one more season 93, and they finished 13th out of 16 teams.

He bolted the year after to Manly, still scratch my head that he was so "loyal" to Wests that he lasted two seasons before doing a runner.

Well when youve been a wests fan for about the last 25 yrs you dont forget ANY semi final appearance. There's only been a few in that time!!!

I think money made his decision easy. Wests seemed to have some cash for a few years, then it all dried up.

Latest posts