What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad career moves

Bench
Canard said:
Just checked you were deadset right about Wests making the 5 in 92.(Memory for 15 years ago aint that spot on).

But he only played there for one more season 93, and they finished 13th out of 16 teams.

He bolted the year after to Manly, still scratch my head that he was so "loyal" to Wests that he lasted two seasons before doing a runner.
Bob Fulton was Manly coach,along with the cash was the Australian coach as club coach,so Tezza left.
So did Gillespie,Serdaris and Tierney over the next few seasons,Manly had a tradition of robbing Wests.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Some people seem to miss the point of the thread.

One of the worst ever was Andy Platt: Wigan -> Auckland Warriors in 1995( 6?)

Rated the best English forward, one of the best in the world and an absolute gun in the 1994 ashes series. Comes to the ARL, and his career just dies. Becomes a Qld cup quality player very quickly.

Canard

Immortal
Charlie124 said:
I agree he was a great player (not sure about Australian standard but certainly NSW). we were sad to see him leave, although i must admitt i had a good hard chuckle at his expence in 2004 and 2005.

Morrison played for the Cowboys in 2004, and in our first ever finals.

He got injured in something like Round 4 against St George and missed most of the season but was back for the finals.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Red and Blue Knight said:
Your point?

He was twice the player at Newie then he is at Parra. Rated as the most electrifying back in the comp averaging 18 tries a season with us, now he's lucky to be in the top 20 outside backs in the comp.

Got selected in rep teams on reputation only and has done squat at Parra.

Short memory. Matt Johns in particular was talking him up as one of the premier centres in the game in 2005, everyone else agreed with him. He was in great form, and made Origin as a centre the following year. Injury ruined his 2006 and his 2007 has barely started. Went from being a finishing winger to a dynamic centre, and that's a bad career move? Well if it helps you sleep at night you just keep telling yourself it's true.

Mr Saab

Referee
ParraDude_Jay said:
. Matt Johns in particular was talking him up as one of the premier centres in the game in 2005,

Matt Johns talking someone up should be taken with a grain of salt.

Azkatro

First Grade
Kurt Angle said:
Some people seem to miss the point of the thread.

One of the worst ever was Andy Platt: Wigan -> Auckland Warriors in 1995( 6?)

Rated the best English forward, one of the best in the world and an absolute gun in the 1994 ashes series. Comes to the ARL, and his career just dies. Becomes a Qld cup quality player very quickly.
I've read that he got caught up heavily in the big-spending days of Auckland at the time.

Anyone remember Jonathan Davies at the Cowboys in 1995? Me neither ...

domdom

Juniors
no.2_lukeburt said:
he left us high and dry, citing homesickness and then farked off to ESL, 40, 000 Kms from home :eek:

f**k him, ill always be bitter about that... there was a moment in time where he was actually my favourite player, but yeah good luck to him at manly. There is and always will be ill feelings towards fitzy, however that spans a number of issues. All i can say is, bring on round 9 :fist:

i heard a rumour a while back that the homesickness excuse was just a load of crap and the real reason he left was that he had a blow up with smith and fitzy.

it was just a rumour, so i dont know if there is truth to it, but i guess if you go to england because you are homesick for country NSW, there has to be more to the story than he was just pining for wee waa.

round 9 will be a cracker! parra v manly games always are. we need revenge for last season where you guys held us off with a man down after fuifui knocked kitey's block off. its a shame fuifui wont be there as it would have been good to see those two square up again...

Shorty

Staff member
Josh Hannay going to Cronulla,pretty much put the nail in the coffin for him.

Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Pat O'Doherty.

Played Origin for Qld when with the Magpies, went to the old Gold Coast, got injured, ate a horse and never surfaced again.

What a blast from the Past. I remember him best for scoring a try against the Broncos. After he proudly put the ball down, he stood bolt upright when a Bronco player (who I cant recall) innocuously brushed him on the way past. O'Doherty (looking for a penalty) threw his head back and hit the deck like he'd been shot point-blank. An award winning performance. He would have made the Italian National Soccer side very proud indeed.

More bad career moves.

Rambo Ronny Gibbs - Gold Coast.
Bryan Fletcher - Souths

Phillips

Referee
Cowgirl86 said:
Josh Hannay going to Cronulla,pretty much put the nail in the coffin for him.

you watched him play this season?

although your right... he'll never win a premiership now :eek:

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Azkatro said:
I've read that he got caught up heavily in the big-spending days of Auckland at the time.

Anyone remember Jonathan Davies at the Cowboys in 1995? Me neither ...

The welsh wizard jonathon davies. He was crap but then i think the cowboys team back thne consisted of players like bouvang, skardon, vowells, ian russel, etc etc.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
From 1995-2000 at the Warriors, pretty much anyone with a good reputation (Platt, Ridge, Pongia, Tyran Smith, Grant Young etc) went bad and the ones who had no or a bad reputation stepped up (Mears, Death etc). No explanation for it, just the way it went.

Bring back John Fifita said:
What a blast from the Past. I remember him best for scoring a try against the Broncos. After he proudly put the ball down, he stood bolt upright when a Bronco player (who I cant recall) innocuously brushed him on the way past. O'Doherty (looking for a penalty) threw his head back and hit the deck like he'd been shot point-blank. An award winning performance. He would have made the Italian National Soccer side very proud indeed.

More bad career moves.

Rambo Ronny Gibbs - Gold Coast.
Bryan Fletcher - Souths

I recall that incident too. At the time it was hilarious.

Ronny Gibbs was a character, we used to run a book an how close to the game he'd throw up when he was with the Magpies.

Latest posts