What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad career moves

yobbo84

First Grade
Bring back John Fifita said:
Bryan Fletcher - Souths

Fletcher played Origin and Test football at Souths. Anyway considering he got paid about $330k a season I'd say that's probably the smartest career move he ever made.

The Colonel

Immortal
butchmcdick said:
ian russel, etc etc.

Now that was a move that went sour. Ian Russell was a bloody good lock forward at Illawarra - Dally M Lock of the Year in 1992 and there player of the year 2 years running. Injuries never helped his career but the Cowboys weren't his best ever option.

dubby

Bench
Rod Maybon-Raiders.

Was a great player for Souths/STG/Parra/Adelaide but went bad at Canberra.

forward pass

Coach
Charlie124 said:
Mark Gasnier --> five-eighth :sarcasm: (all 61 minutes of it)

Glenn Morrison Cowboys 2003 --> Parramatta - left the Cowboys so that he would have a chance at playing finals football before he retired only for Parra to finish 12th and seeing the Cowboys make the finals for the first time in history, then the following year Cowboys V Parra in the grand final qualifyer getting spanked 29 - 0 by his former club.

Not correct. (Sorry if this has been pointed out already.)

Morrison played in the finals for Cowboys in 04 when they just missed the GF. He then played 05 and 06 for Parra where they made the semis each time.

The cowboys debacle was 05.

yobbo84

First Grade
I truly believe that had the Roosters left Craig Wing in the halves (who wins a comp and then changes their halfback?), he could have become one of the modern greats - right up there with Johns and Lockyer. He's done some things in the halves (esp. 5/8) that other players could only dream of. So in saying that, even though he was great and repped at the Roosters, I'd say that was a bad move - not saying he should've stayed at Souths, but can you imagine him under a more free-flowing coach e.g. Graham Murray?

anjado

Juniors
Greg Barwick : Penrith to Norths
Graham Mackay : Penrith to Roosters
all those clubs which changed there name to Sydney

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Bring back John Fifita said:
What a blast from the Past. I remember him best for scoring a try against the Broncos. After he proudly put the ball down, he stood bolt upright when a Bronco player (who I cant recall) innocuously brushed him on the way past. O'Doherty (looking for a penalty) threw his head back and hit the deck like he'd been shot point-blank. An award winning performance. He would have made the Italian National Soccer side very proud indeed.

:lol:

That's who the bloke was.. O'Doherty.... I love this story.

I know this very well.

It was vs the Broncos.. and the Brissy player was Gene Miles. What happened was O'Doherty went down and the nearest magpies player was Allan Falah.

Allan Falah happened to be my P.E teacher in High school.

Falah didn't see the (absence of) contact, and straight away started to swing fists at Gene Miles.

However Gene Miles had the better of him... it was pretty funny as it was a friday night footy game, and every kid in school would have seen it.

On Monday, Falah was laughed at because he had two black eyes and a swolen cheek.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
You really don't understand the thread topic do you ?

If after the dust up, Ben Ross turned into Czilowski, it would have been a bad career move.

However, he is a guy on something like $400k with the Sharks, his career has improved since that time.

lolesi

First Grade
Cowgirl86 said:
Josh Hannay going to Cronulla,pretty much put the nail in the coffin for him.

You even seen him play this year? clueless f**k.

Richardson - Souths

For me personnally Vagana from Dogs - Sharks, had such big expectations of him, they came to nothing, was a shame, still a class player though.

Charlie124

First Grade
Canard said:
Morrison played for the Cowboys in 2004, and in our first ever finals.

He got injured in something like Round 4 against St George and missed most of the season but was back for the finals.

ahhhhh of course, i remember that now, doesnt change much except that he signed around the june 30 deadline thinking he wouldnt get a chance to play in the finals at the cowboys. silly boy.