What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Banned Carney considering NFL

Banned Carney considering NFL

Adrian Proszenko | February 22, 2009

TODD CARNEY has met NFL scouts to discuss an offer to trial in the US during his NRL ban.
The NFL scouts of Australian-based NFL OzPunt are taking a delegation of eight locals, headed by former Sydney Swan Nick Davis, to the US in March for a month of trials in front of gridiron coaches. Carney met OzPunt representative Paul Shepherd in Goulburn on Thursday about the possibility of joining them.
The former Canberra five-eighth is deregistered from the NRL for 2009 and, with no other football options available to him, agreed to discuss the opportunity.
"We just had a chat about what it's all about," Carney told The Sun-Herald.
"I haven't got anything on at the moment so I thought I'd check it out."
The 22-year-old is in rugby league purgatory after visa problems prevented him from joining the English Super League, while the NRL won't register him this season following his termination from the Raiders after his involvement in several off-field incidents.
While Carney's main goal is to reignite his rugby league career, his manager David Riolo conceded the NFL offer could provide an outlet for a client with dwindling options in 2009.
"If [OzPunt] came back and said they want to take him to the States to trial with some NFL teams in March and April - and Todd's not playing rugby league or union or anything else - we'd go and have a look," Riolo said.
"But in qualifying that, it's not his deadset goal to play in the NFL. If something happened down the track, it would be a bonus while he's not playing rugby league.
"But rugby league is still his first love and he wants to get back into the NRL."
OzPunt officials believe Carney could make it as a kicker in American football, but the young playmaker will only get an invitation if he convinces them he's serious about a code switch.
"We believe there is an opportunity for Todd in the States," Shepherd said.
"We're more than happy to talk further if know he's committed to playing in the NFL.
"We don't want to be seen as a stop-gap option for anyone; we're only interested in people committed to the opportunity we can offer them."
It's understood that seven NRL clubs have expressed an interest in recruiting Carney from 2010. However, it appears he'll have to sit out the 2009 NRL season.
Penrith coach Matthew Elliott, who coached Carney when at the Raiders, said the youngster had already paid a sufficient price for his indiscretions.
"For Todd, it's hard to disassociate myself because I have a personal attachment to the kid," Elliott said. "I think he should be allowed to play NRL and the club to have first choice of his services is Canberra.
"I'm not for a minute saying he should be allowed to play for the same level of income he was receiving. Not only has he paid the price for his actions - he's not in jail, he's not in court for anything - he will continue to pay that price for a long time.
"He will go from being 'The disgraced Todd Carney' to 'The once-troubled Todd Carney'; he's got years before he's described in a positive manner.
"We're denying a kid an opportunity to earn income in an area in which he's best at. He's played his part in that, no doubt … but I think the punishment has outweighed the crime."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/banned-carney-considering-nfl/2009/02/21/1234633129939.html

carney_narrowweb__300x386,0.jpg

LOL

Last edited:

Mr Saab

Referee
Carney in NFL??? hahaha
Too short to be a 1/4back.
Too small for tight end.
Too slow for wide reciever
Too small for running back.

Go and work for the council and dig ditches...you had the chance to play league but you love the alcohol more than a 400k contract....total deadsh*t

Last edited:

legend

Coach
Carney could be a punter when you consider he led the NRL in 40/20's and they don't have to be of a particular size. Some of the place kickers in the NFL are in their 40's and can barely run at all.

Carney would be the size of an NFL running back but not many white players ever play that position these days as they don't have the speed and agility.

kbw

Bench
Carney could be a punter when you consider he led the NRL in 40/20's and they don't have to be of a particular size. Some of the place kickers in the NFL are in their 40's and can barely run at all.

Carney would be the size of an NFL running back but not many white players ever play that position these days as they don't have the speed and agility.

You missed a word it should read

Carney would be half the size of an NFL running back

He can kick I guess, but he is kidding himself immensely going over there to try for the NFL.

Could be trying out as a holder ,,, A DRINKS HOLDER maybe :D

bluesbreaker

Bench
Doug Flutie was only a short little fella, but he had the benefit of playing the game his entire life. Carney couldn't pick it up quick enough.

He's way too small for a every down running back, way too slow and not agile enough for a speed back, and way too weak to be a 3rd down power back, so i don't get where a team would fit him in?

Long snapper or something maybe?

Paullyboy

Coach
Why is everyone talking about being a running back or tight end? He'd be going to play one position - punter, and I actually think he might be alright at it considering there are 3 other aussies over there doing just that and his long kicking game was one of the best in the NRL.

Thomas

First Grade
Why is everyone talking about being a running back or tight end? He'd be going to play one position - punter, and I actually think he might be alright at it considering there are 3 other aussies over there doing just that and his long kicking game was one of the best in the NRL.

The Aussies who punt are all ex-AFL players and players who had enormous boots to say the least. Carney can kick a ball but nowhere near as far as a twinkie in tight shorts.

He's a silly little grub who needs to find something else to do with his life.

ozjet1

at 6'1" and 198lbs in the old measurement, he'd struggle to make any O or D spot without the exceptional speed or agility........and that's what really counts on the gridiron......SPEED. thing is, these days american footballers are getting bigger and faster.......there are 195cm 115kg (that's 10kg heavier than Israel Folau) monsters running 4.60 sec 40yd sprints over there.

the ozpunt folk have him slated as a place kicker. needs to have the emotions of a rock to be able to excell in this role. more often than not they need to come on towards the end of the game and slot through a 40yd plus clutch kick to win a game. many fail.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Funniest thing I've read!
Carney in the NFL, what a joke, what as, water carrier?

He's made his bed, tough 5h1t!

Y2Eel

First Grade
I thought he was allowed to play park footy? He best of doing that for a year and line up in the dole cue...

Shorty

Staff member
F**k people have no idea sometimes.
Too short to be a running back? He's 6"1'....a lot of star RB aren't even that height.
Get your facts straight.

I don't think he could be a punter though.

coach

Its paper talk, just like it was with Adam MacDougall, Willie Mason and Sam Thaiday.

At 184cm (6 foot) and 90kg (198) he has the size to play some positions like running back, wide reciever, safety and cornerback. But he lacks the speed to play any of those positions except may be for safety.

But when it really comes down to it he has never played the game and therefore probably has no idea on how to play the game.

Latest posts