What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barba sacked by Cowboys

betcats

Referee
Or
He could just take the right and tough stance from the start by banning for life any tool who hits a woman.
He had plenty of chances.

He blew it.

Exactly, had they had the brains and the balls required to take the obviously right tough stance from the get go then they would be spared the embarrassment of banning Barba(and probably others) for life after assaulting women while other guys will be still be running around with multiple convictions for the same thing.

carcharias

Immortal
Exactly, had they had the brains and the balls required to take the obviously right tough stance from the get go then they would be spared the embarrassment of banning Barba(and probably others) for life after assaulting women while other guys will be still be running around with multiple convictions for the same thing.
Yep
I find it pretty surprising anyone would even attempt to stick up for Greenmerk.
He had been absolutely atrocious in his role.
A complete cat.

Tiger5150

Bench
I guess what's confusing then is - when is it appropriate to draw the line in the sand? The NRL seems doomed whatever they do:
  • Change nothing, let Barba back in one day etc etc - not good
  • Do what they're doing now, starting from now blah blah - not good
  • Do what they're doing now AND retrospectively apply it - not good
They're f**ked in a PR sense no matter what because one group of fans/media/clubs will always be unhappy with whichever outcome is chosen.

Of course you are correct Timmah that the NRL is now in a no win situation but the question that needs to be asked is how did they get here, what got them here and who?

Was it when Greenberg PERSONALLY looked Matt Lodge in the eye and rubber stamped his return for the Broncos after violently terrorising women and children?

Was it when Todd Greenberg PERSONALLY wrote a guy with a history of off field misdemeanours including domestic violence a glowing character reference to get him off from a illegal, antisocial and potentially deadly crime a week before announcing he will “get tough” on violent and antisocial offenders?

Todd Greenberg has shit in the NRL bed and now they all have to lie in it.

These are some of the problems in the NRL

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Of course you are correct Timmah that the NRL is now in a no win situation but the question that needs to be asked is how did they get here, what got them here and who?

Was it when Greenberg PERSONALLY looked Matt Lodge in the eye and rubber stamped his return for the Broncos after violently terrorising women and children?

Was it when Todd Greenberg PERSONALLY wrote a guy with a history of off field misdemeanours including domestic violence a glowing character reference to get him off from a illegal, antisocial and potentially deadly crime?

Todd Greenberg has shit in the NRL bed and now they all have to lie in it.

These are some of the problems in the NRL
The NRL's always got some kind of problem. Player misbehaviour of varying levels of seriousness over the years hasn't been managed in any consistent fashion. Ever.

Gallop, Smith, Whittaker, Moffett, Ribot, Arko and so on - all presided over times with unsavoury characters, dickheads and even criminals. Smith oversaw the regime that let Russell Packer back in, which pre-dates both the Lodge and Inglis decisions. Could we say he shat the bed first, set the standard? Or Gallop allowing a repeat offender in Carney back? What about Whittaker & Moffett who were in charge of the NRL when Julian O'Neill's repeated f**k ups were all over the place (or Ribot or Arko before the war for that matter)?

None of our CEO's have been perfect, pretending Greenberg is somehow different or has lowered any bar doesn't make sense. It's always been in our game's history to gloss over this shit then appear to come down hard at random times.

Also: RE Inglis - agree he's a dickhead, should've been punished harder and didn't deserve a glowing reference - but I'm not sure you can characterise a single domestic violence charge in 2009 as a "history of off-field misdemeanours" prior to the DUI/speeding charge. Unless I've missed other charges he's had levelled at him?

Saxon

Bench
I haven’t read (the report) in its entirety but what I have read is damage to the game,” he said.
Hasn't read the report on Napa. Hasn't watched the Ben Barba video. Still prepared to make judgements though.
Less lattes and more work Toddy

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Hasn't read the report on Napa. Hasn't watched the Ben Barba video. Still prepared to make judgements though.
Less lattes and more work Toddy
He hasn't made any judgments yet? There's media speculation about Napa and he's only passed comment on the Barba situation "suggesting he find another vocation".

There's been no official edict from the NRL either, despite what the media would have you think.

carcharias

Immortal
Hasn’t passed judgement .
Tells media Barba needs to find a new job.

Needs to shut his dumb arse mouth...
That’s what he should be doing.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Or
He could just take the right and tough stance from the start by banning for life any tool who hits a woman.
He had plenty of chances.

He blew it.

He certainly did and the fact that he blabs on about this now, when his past actions have shown a complete inconsistency, shows his lack of leadership qualities for mine.

Tiger5150

Bench
He hasn't made any judgments yet? There's media speculation about Napa and he's only passed comment on the Barba situation "suggesting he find another vocation".

There's been no official edict from the NRL either, despite what the media would have you think.

For mine Timmah, this sums up my problem with Greenberg in this instance (please take this as a response to your earlier post regarding previous CEO's as well).

I have had a problem with Greenberg ever since he was appointed CEO. My problem with him is that he has seriously built a career on bluff and bluster, its all talk, all smoke and mirrors. It all revolves around his "tough Talk" and eyeballing and has NEVER been backed up by actions. He is INCREDIBLY reactionary.

You listed some previous misdemeanours that happened during previous CEO tenures, but there have been 10 or 12 SERIOUS issues just this off season. News reported today on 66 since 2015. Greenberg has now said he has drawn a line in the sand and "enough is enough", but why now? After Barba (skeletons in the closet?). Its all talk, all rhetoric. He seeks out easy targets. Barba is a very easy target. Its DV for gods sake caught on CCTV. Easiest target in the world, but when Broncos came to him with Matt Lodge, wasnt so easy and he was found wanting. Tigers are an easy target with the Farah "salary cap" penalties meanwhile every NRL powerhouse has recently retired stars on the payroll. Andrew Webster put it succinctly....Grandstanding.

Then the latest verbal brain fart he has had is that Bulldogs "should have done more due diligence" about Dylan Napa. Is he serious? How the hell would the Bulldogs have been able to sort that out. Meanwhile the Broncos "due diligence" on Matt Lodge was what? They had CCTV of him committing crimes, US court convicting him of that crime. At the time ZERO effort (in fact evasion of) repaying the victims....but Greenberg looked him in the eyes and all was ok?

Madunit put forward the case that Greenberg has now "got tough" and drawn the line in the sand about poor behaviour and purely on the face of it, there is a case for agreeing with this but when everything is built on talk and grandstanding it is guaranteed that this house of cards will fall. There will be a conflict, or a case with a lot of grey about it, or god forbid a high profile player at a powerful club and all this talk will be exposed for what it is, hot air. In the meantime Barba will not be banned but told to look for another job (weasel words from Greenberg "He has been sacked by Cowboys and there is no contract in place") but we get to watch Tetavano, Packer, Lodge, Inglis, Wighton and countless others run around.

Timmah you and i have disagreed now in two threads about Greenbergs incompetence. I am not going to change your opinion of him nor am I seeking to, but I have explained my POV adequately and I dont see anything else worth saying (until he next says something that unfuriates me).

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
For mine Timmah, this sums up my problem with Greenberg in this instance (please take this as a response to your earlier post regarding previous CEO's as well).

I have had a problem with Greenberg ever since he was appointed CEO. My problem with him is that he has seriously built a career on bluff and bluster, its all talk, all smoke and mirrors. It all revolves around his "tough Talk" and eyeballing and has NEVER been backed up by actions. He is INCREDIBLY reactionary.

You listed some previous misdemeanours that happened during previous CEO tenures, but there have been 10 or 12 SERIOUS issues just this off season. News reported today on 66 since 2015. Greenberg has now said he has drawn a line in the sand and "enough is enough", but why now? After Barba (skeletons in the closet?). Its all talk, all rhetoric. He seeks out easy targets. Barba is a very easy target. Its DV for gods sake caught on CCTV. Easiest target in the world, but when Broncos came to him with Matt Lodge, wasnt so easy and he was found wanting. Tigers are an easy target with the Farah "salary cap" penalties meanwhile every NRL powerhouse has recently retired stars on the payroll. Andrew Webster put it succinctly....Grandstanding.

Then the latest verbal brain fart he has had is that Bulldogs "should have done more due diligence" about Dylan Napa. Is he serious? How the hell would the Bulldogs have been able to sort that out. Meanwhile the Broncos "due diligence" on Matt Lodge was what? They had CCTV of him committing crimes, US court convicting him of that crime. At the time ZERO effort (in fact evasion of) repaying the victims....but Greenberg looked him in the eyes and all was ok?

Madunit put forward the case that Greenberg has now "got tough" and drawn the line in the sand about poor behaviour and purely on the face of it, there is a case for agreeing with this but when everything is built on talk and grandstanding it is guaranteed that this house of cards will fall. There will be a conflict, or a case with a lot of grey about it, or god forbid a high profile player at a powerful club and all this talk will be exposed for what it is, hot air. In the meantime Barba will not be banned but told to look for another job (weasel words from Greenberg "He has been sacked by Cowboys and there is no contract in place") but we get to watch Tetavano, Packer, Lodge, Inglis, Wighton and countless others run around.

Timmah you and i have disagreed now in two threads about Greenbergs incompetence. I am not going to change your opinion of him nor am I seeking to, but I have explained my POV adequately and I dont see anything else worth saying (until he next says something that unfuriates me).

Well said!

Saxon

Bench

Really? Greenberg said on Tuesday that Ben Barba had been deregistered, and that he "could see no way back for him".
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/05/cctv-confirms-barba-altercation/
At about 23 seconds in.

Sounds like "making a judgement" and issuing an "official edict from the NRL" to me.

Tiger5150

Bench
Really? Greenberg said on Tuesday that Ben Barba had been deregistered, and that he "could see no way back for him".
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/05/cctv-confirms-barba-altercation/
At about 23 seconds in.

Sounds like "making a judgement" and issuing an "official edict from the NRL" to me.

100% typical of Greenberg, he didnt say that. In fact he didnt say anything but still managed to "sound toough".

He or the NRL didnt "Ban" Barba.

He or the NRL didnt sack him, the Cowboys did.

He or the NRL didnt deregister him, he doesnt have a club or a contract and therefore "his registration is no longer".

Quicksilver

Bench
I’ve not heard a decent nickname for Greenberg yet.

He seems so nicknamable but nothing to date has been that good.

It’s a shame.

Quicksilver

Bench
100% typical of Greenberg, he didnt say that. In fact he didnt say anything but still managed to "sound toough".

He or the NRL didnt deregister him, he doesnt have a club or a contract and therefore "his registration is no longer".

This is what happened with Carney too. The Sharks sacked him and the NRL were very reluctant to ever give him a path back (not sure whether anyone actually wanted him though)

On one hand I think it’s good that they’ll back the clubs though. Not much good if a club does the right thing and they are punished by having to play against the perpetrator a couple of months later.

kdalymc

Bench
Anyone see Lote Toquris tweet saying ‘oh poor Barba what is he going to do now I feel sorry for him’
every prick is ripping into him haha

Perth Red

Post Whore

It's the tried and tested "de registered" line. If he is serious why not come out and say Ben Barba will never be allowed to play in the NRL again, he has a lifetime ban. How hard is that? Instead we got the obligatory soft comment of "could see no way back for him". That's not saying there is definitely no way back, only that Greeny cant see it. lol its weak as pss!

Latest posts