What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barrett OUT, Johns IN

Ghoulies

Bench
Care to share who came up with those ratings? Since they do seem a bit off if we are talking purely Origin football here.

edit - Just to enforce something here, I'm talking about dominance in the Origin arena. No one has performed better in either a blue or maroon jersey than the King, Wally Lewis.

Ghoulies

Bench
Well then that's just the opinion of one journo. If we're determining who was more dominant at Origin then there's only one relevant stat....

Lewis - 31 appearances, 8 MotM
Johns - 23 appearances (2 off the bench), 3 MotM

RABK

Referee
Thought Lewis had 6 MOTM awards?

I do believe that Chippy was judging them on thier game overall. Can't argue with what he came up with.

Ghoulies

Bench
Thought Lewis had 6 MOTM awards?
Nope. Wally recieved a total of 8 MotM awards throughout his Origin career.
I do believe that Chippy was judging them on thier game overall. Can't argue with what he came up with.
IMO Johns was the more skilled player, but Lewis had a great mental toughness and was such a superb leader who had the ability to lift his team when they were down (see game 2 of the '89 series).

I'm curious though, did you actually see Lewis in his prime? (This is by no means a dig at you, I'd just like to know what you're basing your opinion on)

Saint 60

Juniors
Well i saw Lewis and thought he was a &^%&^$$ runt lol, but really about the best player ive ever seen...with Chang...but this is SoO -

I definately rate Johns there also, one thing Johns has in his favor...he still has more time to impress, not much but still has more...hes a ded set mile in front of Kimmorley -always has been and always will have been lol

Go the Blues :)

Broncodroid

Juniors
Andrew Johns better than Wally Lewis at Origin level? :lol:

Does the Newcastle/Andrew Johns ignorance know no bounds? :rolleyes:

I think Johns would be embarassed with that assessment, he has got no where near as dominant as the true Origin King, Wally Lewis. If you argue differently, you have not seen the King in any of his 31 appearances in the maroon jersey.

As correctly pointed out, Allan Langer is the most dominant halfback of the Origin arena in either the blue or maroon jersey.

gregstar

Referee
wally lewis is the greatest origin player in history

he is also the greatest by a sizeable margin - no one has dominated the game at the highest level (origin) for a decade. no one except lewis - A WHOLE DECADE!

he has been the standout player of the last 25 years, hence his induction as an immortal.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Man of the match awards and accolades seem only relevant when discussing Langer's merits... At least for Queenslanders. Interesting, to say the least. Just remember this next time the Bi-weekly Lockyer vs King Joey topic comes up :).

I expect a 20 paragraph response Broncodroid, get to it!

bluesbreaker

Bench
Broncodroid said:
I expect a 20 paragraph response Broncodroid, get to it!

Good to see another fan on board...

Actually, I don't really mind you on here. You, at the very least, take the time to use correct spelling and grammatical indentations. When you first came you were more likeable, but that's because you didn't have such strong opinions on everything :).

For the record though, the argument wasn't about Johns being better than Langer in origin (even though I think he's streets ahead of Langer because he's such a complete footballer), it was about the ridiculous statement about Langer being 3 times as dominant in Origin as Joey, which, obviously, is a complete fabrication made by some clown Queenslander!

Fin.

Pistol

Coach
Alf won more series than Joey. Joey was dropped for game 3 in 1995, which Qld won 3-0. Joey won the 96 series but at hooker as he did the 97 series. He lost the 98 series at halfback. There was that draw in 1999, and he played off the bench in two games in 2000. He missed the 2001 series returning the next year for a draw and eventually winning his first and last series at halfback in 2003.

Nobody could have replaced Langer in his heyday for QLD. Paul Green gave him a run for his money early on in his career but Langer was unmatched in the Origin arena.

Broncodroid

Juniors
bluesbreaker said:
Actually, I don't really mind you on here. You, at the very least, take the time to use correct spelling and grammatical indentations. When you first came you were more likeable, but that's because you didn't have such strong opinions on everything :).

For the record though, the argument wasn't about Johns being better than Langer in origin (even though I think he's streets ahead of Langer because he's such a complete footballer), it was about the ridiculous statement about Langer being 3 times as dominant in Origin as Joey, which, obviously, is a complete fabrication made by some clown Queenslander!

Fin.

Each to their own...we all have an opinion, I am sure we are all not posting with other members opinion of us in mind. Strong opinion? Again, each to their own. It is just an opinion I take the time to put down online. Much better than "I agree", "I disagree" or "lol". In the end, our opinions mean sweet FA.

Andrew Johns is a better halfback all round than Allan Langer was, I can admit that. Very different style of halfback, though Johns can do it all whereas Langer lacked the all round kicking game and defence of Johns.

In saying that, at Origin level, Langer has the edge over Johns IMO. IF Johns comes up big in the next two games and secures a series win, the argument may shift given he will more than likely go one more series in 2006.

Saint 60

Juniors
Pity about Wally wasting all that time at the Gold Coast was it..?
And the fact he couldnt get on with Bennett ---
he could of been maybe the Aussie King..instead of just Qld...
Would of been nice to see a lot more of Wally, but he was about 27 when the Broncos entered the comp -- pity that :(

Good reading
http://www.bronconet.org/index.cfm?MenuID=214&TopMenuID=183

Langer is 3x the player at SoO as Kimmorley...but hardly 3x Johns

bluesbreaker

Bench
Broncodroid said:
Strong opinion? Again, each to their own. It is just an opinion I take the time to put down online. Much better than "I agree", "I disagree" or "lol". In the end, our opinions mean sweet FA.

I'm not having a go at you here champ. When you first came here you were as coherant, more cautious, and less argumentative. As I said before, at least you take the effort to be coherant.

I think this is where we have a group hug.

Tommy Smith

Referee
What was Chippy on when he came up with that ratings thing? Johns a 9 for speed? LOLOLOLOLOL More like a 6. As truely great as he is...and i think he's twice the player Lockyer is...one thing he certainly isnt is fast.

And i dont know how he could rate Johns a better captain or having a better temperament. You will never see a better captain than Wally Lewis or a bloke with a better temperament.

The one fault of Joeys game however can sometime be his temperament...how he goes off like a madman at his teammates.