What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battle for the Gold Coast- DT article today

CC_Roosters

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n-the-gold-coast/story-e6freyar-1226082349293

Buzz is at it again, giving the AFL its weekly dose in the spotlight in the RL pages.

He does make some good points, especially on the difference in pricing for the games where the Titans are way behind on family tickets. But what annoys me is he highlights the 15k empty seats at Skilled, yet ignores the 10k empty seats at Carrara. Bottom line is the Suns are totally reliant on AFL funding to even gain a foothold on the GC

BunniesMan

Immortal
To be fair, he does have a dig at AFL with:
"For someone who struggles to watch an entire AFL game".

And he does make some good points. The disparity in ticketing prices is inexcusable. You just can't make your product close to twice as expensive as your biggest competitor.

The fight will only get tougher, the Suns will have $100m of AFL money behind them, add to the fact that they've been pumped full of steroids (figure of speech) and will be a constant top 4 team for the best part of the next decade and likely to win multiple premierships. Meanwhile, the Titans will likely be up and down like most teams.

The most concerning thing Rothfield raises is the Titans financial situation. For all we know they could be in terrible condition if them needing advances on the grant is any indication. One of these days we might wake up to "Titans in crisis, bankrupt" headlines.

docbrown

Coach
The Suns play 3 games at home and it's declared that the 'AFL is taking over the Gold Coast' etc.

Look at Brisbane though.

Brisbane Lions and Brisbane Broncos have been sharing a much bigger city for quite some time now, since 1988 in fact. We've frequently said that the Broncos aren't able to cover that entire area hence the push for another team.

In all that time -
Have the Broncos folded? No.
Has the AFL taken over Brisbane? No.
Is Rugby League no longer the number one sport? No.

They poured a hell of a lot of money into the Lions, bought them 3 premierships and now they're recording the 4th worst home average since they became the Lions.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I get the feeling finances are not right at the Titans. I'd love for someone to convince me that it's not the case, however they have certainly had problems before, and their inflexibility with ticket prices, which is clearly having an impact, is not a good sign.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I get the feeling finances are not right at the Titans. I'd love for someone to convince me that it's not the case, however they have certainly had problems before, and their inflexibility with ticket prices, which is clearly having an impact, is not a good sign.

From what i understand they have no say in ticketing, it is all set by Stadiums Queensland. The only way to reduce them is to get the NRL to subsidise ticket prices, but at the moment the league doesn't have the disposable income to do that.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Yeah its pretty expensive. I went once, id go again but I wouldn't become a STH at the Titans because of those prices. Its the bloody Gold Coast, there is plenty of other cheaper things to do. GC management need to address the issue asap.

Eelectrica

Referee
I'll renew my Titans season ticket next year, but I hope they address the discrepency in ticketing prices. I'd guess the AFL subsidises the ticket prices to increase the crowds for the Suns.

Obviously this season is a complete write off for the Titans. Next season I think will be their most important since being brought back in.

BunniesMan

Immortal
2012 is massively important, if they are as bad then as they are now, even with all their big name signings, it will turn off a lot of fans/potential fans.

Perth Red

Post Whore
From what i understand they have no say in ticketing, it is all set by Stadiums Queensland. The only way to reduce them is to get the NRL to subsidise ticket prices, but at the moment the league doesn't have the disposable income to do that.

No I think that Stad Q'land set the rental cost. The Titans are free to set the ticket price. The fact that they are so high would suggest the Titans other streams of income are not sufficient enough to be able to reduce ticket prices or that the rental fee is ridiculously high.

jc155776

Coach
And I can guarantee that you can about halve the 13k they claimed were there on Sat night and still may be over counting crowd wise.

The place was empty.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I'd guess the AFL subsidises the ticket prices to increase the crowds for the Suns.

That's one way to describe free tickets. I feel the situation may pan out they same as in Sydney - many AFL fans at the game, very few left to watch on telly at home. It may look good but I'm not sure it is profitable - the GC Suns are going to cost a fortune to run, a lot more than the Titans.

Perth Red

Post Whore
sadly AFL has the money to keep funding them for the next two decades though. Their billion $ deal was partly due to their visionary expansion and the value they have been able to convince the TV stations it is worth.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
sadly AFL has the money to keep funding them for the next two decades though. Their billion $ deal was partly due to their visionary expansion and the value they have been able to convince the TV stations it is worth.

What happens in 5 years time though if their viewing figures in NSW and QLD are still terrible?? Surely the networks and fox wont dish out that sort of money again for medicore viewing numbers from 50% of the population.

sharko

Juniors
Searle is a snake oil salesman, all blow but very little go,alas he is has a lot of input in to the new commission for some reason, at least give the proper business people a chance ahead of idiots like him.
It is absurd that a team that was let in less than 3 years ago has its hand out for monies well in advance of when they are due.
They have bought some good players for next year but that is not enough to show after all the monies and so called acadamy of excellence that they are capable of improving on next year.
AFL will do its own thing but incompotence in Gold Coast rugby league management will start to cost the other clubs soon!

BunniesMan

Immortal
Putting the house on Idris and Myles...I might be completely wrong but I can't help but think they'll be dissapointments next year.

With or without the big name signings they'll still have 2 over the hill wrong side of 30 blokes in their spine, can't see them going significantly better.