What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bazza

Frenzy.

Immortal
So, Bazza has got the club back to square one

We’ve lost a coach and maybe a player plus copped a fine. Coach loss arguably overdue. We’ll only lose a nuffie players. Fine is reasonable due to self reporting.

Flip side.

Sharks in favour with the NRL and back to square
Major sponosr secured
Development money coming in
Team looking good early

Lot of this in here right now

363404E8-6CDE-4A42-A9CD-A01A37EDEF31.jpeg

So, Bazza has got the club back to square one

We’ve lost a coach and maybe a player plus copped a fine. Coach loss arguably overdue. We’ll only lose a nuffie players. Fine is reasonable due to self reporting.

Flip side.

Sharks in favour with the NRL and back to square
Major sponosr secured
Development money coming in
Team looking good early

Lot of this in here right now

View attachment 27622

Yes Frenzy we can have comfort that under Barry’s watch no under handed shyte will take place and risk future premierships.

I will say this though. If we lost our Premiership from self reporting which was a possibility. How would everyone be feeling towards him now?

Major sponsor is a former board member. So not giving Barry too much credit for that one. It’s probably a minimal amount that the NRL would accept as a major jersey sponsorship. No figure talked about which normally means it’s nothing to boast about.

Development money coming in has no correlation to Barry.

Yes the team Flanno built is looking good early.

I will never forget the legacy Flanno leaves the Club.

* Winning Culture.

* Recruitment that other fans supporters greatly envy.

* One of the rare coaches we had that always chased the best players on the market because he wanted the Club to be the best and got his fair share of targets.

* Found some of the best bargains that turned out be gems like,

Maloney when no one wanted him.

Prior when every Sharks fan hated that purchase.

Barba,when on the outer for the Broncos. Got him fit again and with the Broncos paying half the freight.

Ennis when Canberra and the Sharks were the only ones interested in him because everyone thought he was washed up.

Lewis when Penrith thought he wasn’t worth the coin anymore.

Fifita for a steal when he was just a bench player for the Tigers.

In recent times Aaron Woods. Got him to take a pay cut and then got the Bulldogs to pay half the freight of that. Just brilliant business.

Shaun Johnson to leave the Warriors and get him to take a pay cut.

He didn’t pay overs for great players to come over. He got them for a bargain and in some cases got their former Clubs paying some of the freight!!

He got our joke of a junior system to be now one that other Clubs envy and we are seeing the fruits of that filter through the team now.

We may be clean now but don’t ever underestimate the loss of losing Flanno.

His loss is passed over far too easily by some here. He knew how to put together a top 4 footy team and sustain that. He was here for the long haul and it just wasn’t a coaching job to him. He wanted to be coach for another 10 years and bring a few more Premiership trophies to the Club. He would have continued to take this team from strength to strength.

I hope John Morris can get some tips on recruitment from Flanno. Because that is top shelf stuff. That is the stuff that will keep this Club up the top where we want it all to be. Does Morris have it in him? We’ll find out soon enough.

As for Barry more action and less talk. Yes we have a sponsor. Make sure the next one is even more lucrative. Come up with more revenue streams with our stadium and take this Club to another level now. Invest development money into income streams. The hard work was all done by people before you. Don’t stuff it up now.

Last edited:

toomuchsoup

Juniors
Yes Frenzy we can have comfort that under Barry’s watch no under handed shyte will take place and risk future premierships.

I will say this though. If we lost our Premiership from self reporting which was a possibility. How would everyone be feeling towards him now?

Major sponsor is a former board member. So not giving Barry too much credit for that one. It’s probably a minimal amount that the NRL would accept as a major jersey sponsorship. No figure talked about which normally means it’s nothing to boast about.

* Winning Culture.

* One of the rare coaches we had that always chased the best players on the market because he wanted the Club to be the best and got his fair share of targets.

Barba,when on the outer for the Broncos. Got him fit again and with the Broncos paying half the freight.

Ennis when Canberra and the Sharks were the only ones interested in him because everyone thought he was washed up.

In recent times Aaron Woods. Got him to take a pay cut and then got the Bulldogs to pay half the freight of that. Just brilliant business.

He didn’t pay overs for great players to come over. He got them for a bargain and in some cases got their former Clubs paying some of the freight!!

He got our joke of a junior system to be now one that other Clubs envy and we are seeing the fruits of that filter through the team now.

His loss is passed over far too easily by some here. He knew how to put together a top 4 footy team and sustain that. He was here for the long haul and it just wasn’t a coaching job to him. He wanted to be coach for another 10 years and bring a few more Premiership trophies to the Club. He would have continued to take this team from strength to strength.

I hope John Morris can get some tips on recruitment from Flanno. Because that is top shelf stuff. That is the stuff that will keep this Club up the top where we want it all to be. Does Morris have it in him? We’ll find out soon enough.

As for Barry more action and less talk. Yes we have a sponsor. Make sure the next one is even more lucrative. Come up with more revenue streams with our stadium and take this Club to another level now. Invest development money into income streams. The hard work was all done by people before you. Don’t stuff it up now.
f**ken aye. Well said man

carinashark

First Grade
That said and I agree. But the game is changing fast and the type of player that plays it well and can be developed into an NRL player is becoming harder to spot. There are some duds (Ava could be anything but seems to be slower, bought in good faith but and Kyle is being left behind by faster and more inventive players). Maybe a younger coach and ex NRL player like Morris is the answer for us to build on Flanno legacy. We are what we are , we have always been a young club with lots of youth about the place, some good and some falling away. Every now and again we have some luck and a young gun side comes through . I’m thinking Stu Raper’s junior side with the likes of Mitch Healy, Peach, Long and Lang ect. Are we seeing that again with Morris? Who could get the best from this young crop Flanno or Morris? We are yet to see.

taipan

Referee
My view is Flanno did a hell of a lot recruiting quality players to get us our first premiership, and having an ongoing extremely competitive outfit.I will be eternally grateful for giving me a year to remember.

Conversely, would we(a club hardly blessed with a vault of loot) be in the position of having to fork out hundreds of thousands in fines ,if the Dunk situation under his watch hadn't arisen.Not done with intent, but with naivety.Then the ensuing e mail debacle.Like a train out of control.

And under Lyall's watch the dramas involving the TPAs,which if he had been on the ball, should have told the boardmembers involved, it's plainly not on.We will draw the crabs.

Anyone who takes over a position ,such as that involving financial control ,is exercising commercial commonsense to ensure everything to the best of their knowledge, is in order.

I fear if Bazza had not done so, down the line if the sheet had hit the windmill vanes, we could have been hit with a points penalty and who knows worst case scenario if we had some bad years relocation as a lot resort.

And yes I would have the Edgar Britts ,if we had the 2016 title taken away.Probably curse Bazza.We didn't ,so we can sleep well.We got ourselves a major sponsor.

The club's reputation whilst hit by a historical sledgehammer,is now in a position to be a leader of the clubs, and for our fans not have to put up with the "cheating" crap, continually down the line.

Season 2019 to our players on the field, the order should be "Unleash hell."

taipan

Referee
Flanno was never the main recruiter. Players were, particularly Gallen.

If that's the case Flanno should have exercised more control
Geez players should have input, but the main recruitment ops.Players have faves at times.

Flanno was never the main recruiter. Players were, particularly Gallen.

Flanno not the main recruiter?

That’s just not true.

I know players have helped in recent years when a Flanno target was identified but please they were not the main recruiters.

So the players organised other Clubs to pay some freight and talk certain targets into taking pay cuts??

AJB1102

First Grade
After everything that happened to Flanno and he was still sitting in the crowd for the first trial last week. I thought that was pretty cool.

So he should. Good on him.

He loved our club and wanted success as much as the most passionate fan. He didn't wanna be a career coach here today, there tomorrow. He wanted to build a successful empire at Cronulla. Big loss.

He sorted his squad for 2015 while banned. C'mon, the NRL has no right to ban people - employees and employers in this case - from communicating. Anyway he's gone for breaching that.

Flanagan was stood down for management failures. Basically a person in his position should've been more aware and not have shit go down on his watch.

So how do we feel about Gorman? He was top dog CEO across everything from late 2014 to late 2017. He often made the point he was in charge. Shouldn't a person in his position have been more aware even if he wasn't implicit? Barry Russell came in and found it quick smart.

I don't want Gorman's scalp, I'm just asking what seem to me pretty obvious questions.

Quicksilver

Bench
Guys..

The club had access to quick money through the development and a credit card.

It's no surprise we started doing things better for a bit.

But now we're back in the debt hole and it's going to be way harder to dig out this time.

Things had to change.

Eion

First Grade

* Winning Culture.

Well said.

Sliding doors and all that but I think it most likely the nrl never found what Barry fessed up to, they are proven incompetents in uncovering this stuff on their own.

Now we’re back to less than square one, I still think baz is out of his depth, but I’m not going to continue to stick the boot into him. But I’m certainly going to suck him off for the last 6 months either - let’s see how 2019 goes.

I would. be happy as Larry celebrating 2019 premiership ,even with egg all over my face.Just thought the chances were better with Flanno

ghoti

Bench
the last few years under Flanno and Gorman were high success short term thinking which got us the premiership, it was exactly what we needed at exactly the right time...but you can't bite and scratch and play it cheeky and sneaky forever (even though press and NRL blew this way out of proportion, both peptides and salary cap and comms during ban)..

Russell may have been ham fisted and took a risk and maybe got us f**ked a bit more than we deserved BUT it's a different world of NRL we're about to enter after 2020. There is a very real risk of franchises not being renewed, or being forced to relocate, and the weakest clubs will fall.

Russell came in and identified an extremely unprofessional culture that was taking chances and putting the club at risk. This goody two shoes shit and clean out and re-imaging of the club as professional and squeaky clean is completely necessary...even though the NRL are against clubs like us, we need them on our side, and this kind of signalling as a professional outfit I reckon is our best chance of not getting relocated or booted when the game expands

the last few years under Flanno and Gorman were high success short term thinking which got us the premiership, it was exactly what we needed at exactly the right time...but you can't bite and scratch and play it cheeky and sneaky forever (even though press and NRL blew this way out of proportion, both peptides and salary cap and comms during ban)..

Russell may have been ham fisted and took a risk and maybe got us f**ked a bit more than we deserved BUT it's a different world of NRL we're about to enter after 2020. There is a very real risk of franchises not being renewed, or being forced to relocate, and the weakest clubs will fall.

Russell came in and identified an extremely unprofessional culture that was taking chances and putting the club at risk. This goody two shoes shit and clean out and re-imaging of the club as professional and squeaky clean is completely necessary...even though the NRL are against clubs like us, we need them on our side, and this kind of signalling as a professional outfit I reckon is our best chance of not getting relocated or booted when the game expands

I understand what you are saying and hope you are right. I think you sell flanno short a bit in the "short term thinking"regarding the player roster and crop of players coming through,winning culture, etc.I ALSO don't trust NRL one bit in that I,m still not confident we have escaped death of a thousand cuts Its all about money for these types in the end so I do hope Barry's approach is right. IT CERTAINLY LOOKS better than it did a couple of weeks ago.

Weaponhead

Coach

Fair assessment.

The club has to make the most of the clean slate.

roboshark

Coach
Well said.

Sliding doors and all that but I think it most likely the nrl never found what Barry fessed up to, they are proven incompetents in uncovering this stuff on their own.

Now we’re back to less than square one, I still think baz is out of his depth, but I’m not going to continue to stick the boot into him. But I’m certainly going to suck him off for the last 6 months either - let’s see how 2019 goes.
Lol never underestimate the power of missing one word mate